AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th April, 2002, 08:28 PM
Banned

Pinky finally caved in

I spent money I really didn't have and grabbed a GF4 Ti4400.

Okay, it's really not that bad

I got $75 for my old ATI card, got lots out of it. Time to move up and on.

Need some advice about overclocking it, will powerstrip work? Which version, and what should I expect??? lol [that's a joke based on the most common questions I've ever seen concerning video cards]

It's a retail PNY (which I've been hearing good things about) from newegg for $250 shipped.

I will post my obnoxious score later this week.
Old 29th April, 2002, 08:48 PM

I've used RivaTuner to OC a Geforce 2, may work for you. You can also use Cool Bits to activate the clock settings features under the advanced properties for the video card. I've never done that, though, so I can't offer any more advice.

Check out www.guru3d.com. They may have more info.
Old 29th April, 2002, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y
I've used RivaTuner to OC a Geforce 2, may work for you. You can also use Cool Bits to activate the clock settings features under the advanced properties for the video card. I've never done that, though, so I can't offer any more advice.

Check out www.guru3d.com. They may have more info.
Thanks, I will look into it.
Old 30th April, 2002, 12:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

I used alittle reg edit program that i found in the Aoafiles- ill have to look it up-
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th April, 2002, 01:21 AM
Banned

Okay, I should know what's there

Old 30th April, 2002, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
Okay, I should know what's there

YAHhh right
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th April, 2002, 04:08 AM
Banned

This afforded me the opportunity to pay attention to the nvidia lineup again, and got the newest tweak apps and drivers as well

If I am really feeling generous maybe I'll upload the GF4 demos
Old 30th April, 2002, 08:11 PM

Question

Well congratulations Pinky::
I bet you will get the GF4 really into high scores in benchmarks.
I had an Epox board that died, and RMA'ed that mobo thru NewEgg. They did not stock that board so refunded me $107.00, so I ordered the 8K3A+ and it cost me $3.00 + shipping.

Man what a deal!! I have it set up and running now.
Great mobo, really fast even if not OC'ed.
The 350 mhz setting for memory really makes this board run great.
Have not received the PC2700 memory as yet, should be here in a couple of days.
Maybe I can see what this board will score.
Good Luck with the Ti4400.
Sapphire X1950 Pro XGWarCat6.12's
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Pioneer DL 16x DVDrw EMC7.5
Tsunami Dream Blk w/blue lights
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Old 30th April, 2002, 08:51 PM
Banned

Thanks, I will be back with a full review and maybe post something/write something formal for one of the allied sites.
Old 1st May, 2002, 10:56 PM
Banned

I get 9900 with my cpu at 150mhz bus (1.5ghz) with the beta 28.90 drivers.

Haven't overclocked the video card yet
Old 2nd May, 2002, 01:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I think I'm gonna wait and buy a SiS Xebre 400. The 400 will be shipped first, and will have 64MB of 4ns 128bit DDR memory. This is the same memory speed as the Nvidia GF4MX460, it will also have a twin pixel pipelined core running at 250MHz with support for DX8. It should be caparable in speed to the MX460, perhaps a hair slower but nothing significant, and it should be cheaper(as SiS has it's own fab unlike Nvidia). Later(Month? Two Months?) the Xebre 600 will ship, it will be faster, some are speculating 300/300, but nobody knows for sure.

Also Matrox typically introduces a new GPU every June. There G550 was a bit weak suck, with GF2MX400 speeds, but at least it supported DX8. If they pull a die shrink to .15u or .13u on the G550 core and up the core and memory speeds, it might be worth looking in to. The G550 is currently going for around $90. Maxtor cards arn't cheap, but they have very high-quality 2D that is worthwhile for folks like me, and there GPUs are passively cooled.

And then there is the RV250 to consider. ATi's twin pixel pipelined DX8 card. I think it might be too expensive, but should be comparable in features to the SiS GPU.

Lots of nifty main stream value GPUs will be sneaking up on us soon.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 2nd May, 2002 at 01:46 AM.
Old 3rd May, 2002, 02:41 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Re: Pinky finally caved in

Quote:
I spent money I really didn't have and grabbed a GF4 Ti4400.

Okay, it's really not that bad

I got $75 for my old ATI card, got lots out of it. Time to move up and on.

Need some advice about overclocking it, will powerstrip work? Which version, and what should I expect??? lol [that's a joke based on the most common questions I've ever seen concerning video cards]

It's a retail PNY (which I've been hearing good things about) from newegg for $250 shipped.

I will post my obnoxious score later this week.
The PNY is great (I have the same one ) but the problem is that the Gainwin (I think) has the full heatsync, with two little fans on it (40mm).... It's really better, but the PNY rox, but I wish I had that heatsync!
Old 3rd May, 2002, 03:52 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Pinky finally caved in

Quote:
Originally posted by SiGmA_X
The PNY is great (I have the same one ) but the problem is that the Gainwin (I think) has the full heatsync, with two little fans on it (40mm).... It's really better, but the PNY rox, but I wish I had that heatsync!
Explain, mine looks like the nvidia standard to me...
Old 3rd May, 2002, 06:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Its a leadtek- and hes talking about my card- it came with HUGE SURROUND heatsyncs with 2 fans on the front and everything is cooled- i replaced the white stuff w/ artic aluminua- runs sweet- heres a pic-
SPyder
Attached Thumbnails
Pinky finally caved in-pict0014.jpg  
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 3rd May, 2002, 05:02 PM

Question

I have a system w/GF3Ti200 vid card installed.
I downloaded the newer drivers and detetonator removing, and the GF tweaking software from nVidia yesterday.
I have not tried these software's as yet because the system is not sold.
I plan on burning these to a CD and encluding with the box with the vid card came in.
Maybe it would be better for the person that might purchase this system to update the drivers as he-she sees fit.
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Old 3rd May, 2002, 07:00 PM
Banned

I'm too scared to mess with the heatsink (if it's glued) in order to just get some arctic compound on it... the damn card was a lot of dough and it would break my wallet to have to buy another one because I wanted 4mhz more from the core

Now volt modding, in my opinion, is worth the risk since the gains may be something to write home about
Old 3rd May, 2002, 10:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
I'm too scared to mess with the heatsink (if it's glued) in order to just get some arctic compound on it... the damn card was a lot of dough and it would break my wallet to have to buy another one because I wanted 4mhz more from the core

Now volt modding, in my opinion, is worth the risk since the gains may be something to write home about
but your volt mod only goes so far if you don't have proper cooling.
Old 4th May, 2002, 03:41 AM

Question

Pinky::The way I remedied this problem was to cut a hole in the side panel parallel with the cpu and video card.
Since they are really close together this is not hard to do.
Place a 120mm hi-output fan blowing air into the case onto the video card and cpu.
This action dropped the cpu temp by 10c.
I know the vid card runs cooler also.
This fan can be purchased from Frozed CPU or Crazy CPU either for less than a good hs/fan would cost.
(The ones we use has a filter that can be removed easily from the outside Just pops off the fan housing).
This will prevent all the dust etc from getting into the case.
The whole can be cut by a pair of tin snips easily.
They have colored grills, chrome grills anything you wish to make the fan look cool.
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Old 4th May, 2002, 04:00 AM

Quote:

If your going to void your warranty you might as well do a propper job of it and improove the cooling.

Personally id rather not overclock much and keep my warranty, its not like your going to notice the diference between 200 and 210fps.

Maybee once the card gets a bit slower (comparatively) and is worth less then id do some serious overclocking.

With my GF3 i dont overclock at all for day to day use, its just not worth it. I occationally overclock for another 1000 points in 3dmark, but thats just a bit of fun.
Once myGF3 gets slow then ill voltmod and watercool it untill it dies and then ill replace it. Its anything but slow at the moment, maybee doom3 or UT2 will make me get the soldering iron out, maybee not.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 5th May, 2002, 06:31 AM
Banned

That's really good advice Holst, I actually came across someone warning me about this particular mod and that a few days/weeks after performing it madonion members said their memory went on the cards, so it looks like I'll return the $2.15 in resistors to radio slack and focus my energies on overclocking the XP1700 I'll prolly get from my friend Tuesday evening.