AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th October, 2001, 01:40 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via ICQ to R0BB23 Send a message via AIM to R0BB23 Send a message via MSN to R0BB23 Send a message via Yahoo to R0BB23

s video to video

i have a voodoo3 3000

i need an s video cable that has s video on one end and the big ass prong thing on the other (normal video)

does that exist and what can i do here.

none of my tvs have that wierd lookin s video plugin.

"Opinions are like kittens, I'm giving them away."
-Modest Mouse
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th October, 2001, 02:17 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Try this link. Make sure you count the pins on your s-video adapter before you buy anything:

http://all.search.shopping.yahoo.com...&rkeys=&clink=

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th October, 2001, 02:18 AM
Systems Administrator

BTW, it's called an RCA composite plug. You normally see it in groups of three but only one is used for video, the other two are for the stereo sound.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 14th October, 2001, 02:25 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via ICQ to R0BB23 Send a message via AIM to R0BB23 Send a message via MSN to R0BB23 Send a message via Yahoo to R0BB23

thanks superman,

superman comes to the rescue agian.

i already know the other thing but hey its a nice thing to make sure i dont screw up.

and hey i owe you.

anything you need.

-Modest Mouse

Last edited by Daniel ~; 14th October, 2001 at 04:26 AM.
Old 14th October, 2001, 04:18 AM
Systems Administrator

Rob, thanks for offering, but all that's really necessary is a big "Thank you", which you already gave. Although I do wish I had Visual Studio

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 14th October, 2001, 04:27 AM
AOA Staff

*in a mobsters boss voice*

consider it done.

boys get on it

*in a squicky voice*

right boss

now for my second question i have to stretch it "35FT" now will i get signal lose at that distants

-Modest Mouse
Old 14th October, 2001, 05:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

hmm..svideo is sheilded..I dunno......It's probably good to 15yds or so..I honesty haven't had to deal with that long a lenghts though...
Old 14th October, 2001, 09:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to proze

if you think about it, normal tv is shielded coax cable, and that can for aaaaaaaaaaaaages, so you should be okay.

as for the adapter, a lot of cards have an s-video to rca adapter in the box with 'em... unfortunately mine didn't, so i also looked for one of these adapters.. like bl00dy hens' teeth!!! i hope you have better luck!

Duron 600@1102 (105*10.5), Asus A7V, 256MB generic RAM at 140mhz 2-2-2, MTS Glaciator II, Creative GF Pro, Awesome no-name 300W PSU.
Old 14th October, 2001, 01:54 PM
Systems Administrator

I know RCA cables can stretch a very long way, and since RCA is essentially the same thing as s-video (bare wires with different connectors on the ends), you shouldn't have a problem.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 14th October, 2001, 04:32 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142
I know RCA cables can stretch a very long way, and since RCA is essentially the same thing as s-video (bare wires with different connectors on the ends), you shouldn't have a problem.
Be nice if Composite was the same thing as S-Video, but it's not. S-Video needs 2 pairs of coax, where as composite only needs one. Depending on your cable, composite may not go that far.

An S-Video socket has exactly 4 pins. If the S-Video socket on the graphics card has more (like 6 pins), the card may already generate a composite signal on the extra pins. Some graphics cards can also generate a composite signal on two of the pins under software control.

Otherwise, it is possible to make an S-Video to composite adaptor using a capacitor to push the chromiance signal onto the luminance signal - not the right way of doing it, but it works in 90% of cases.

I'm waiting for a video card with a SCART socket on the back... (;

AidanII
Old 14th October, 2001, 05:16 PM
Banned

I've seen degradation of the signal at lengths above 20ft. It really depends on the signal being transmitted, some components pump a strong signal into the line, others don't. You really won't know until you try. I don't foresee any issues though, as the signal type is low impedance and transmits easily through nearly any gauge wire.
Old 14th October, 2001, 05:17 PM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII

Be nice if Composite was the same thing as S-Video, but it's not. S-Video needs 2 pairs of coax, where as composite only needs one. Depending on your cable, composite may not go that far.

An S-Video socket has exactly 4 pins. If the S-Video socket on the graphics card has more (like 6 pins), the card may already generate a composite signal on the extra pins. Some graphics cards can also generate a composite signal on two of the pins under software control.

Otherwise, it is possible to make an S-Video to composite adaptor using a capacitor to push the chromiance signal onto the luminance signal - not the right way of doing it, but it works in 90% of cases.

AidanII
What he said

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 14th October, 2001, 05:24 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII

AidanII
habla inglas

-Modest Mouse
Old 14th October, 2001, 07:17 PM
AOA Staff

k my voodoo3 3000 has 4 of those prong holes and that big rectangle one thats always there on s video.

-Modest Mouse
Old 14th October, 2001, 10:48 PM
AOA Staff

hmmm I have one here that you can have, but the "card" end has 9 pins and is a splitter to S-vid and composite, I guess it only works on the radeons OH WELL :P
Old 1st November, 2001, 04:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to SEiZe Send a message via Yahoo to SEiZe

Re: s video to video

Quote:
Originally posted by R0BB23
i have a voodoo3 3000

i need an s video cable that has s video on one end and the big ass prong thing on the other (normal video)

does that exist and what can i do here.

none of my tvs have that wierd lookin s video plugin.
Are you requiring one of the stock cables that came with the video card? I think that I might have one laying around the house some where. I have a Voodoo3 3000 and i don't use the cable since i use my laptop for output to my tv via a 30ft S-Video cable.
Old 2nd November, 2001, 05:46 AM
AOA Staff

Re: Re: s video to video

Quote:
Originally posted by SEiZe

Are you requiring one of the stock cables that came with the video card? I think that I might have one laying around the house some where. I have a Voodoo3 3000 and i don't use the cable since i use my laptop for output to my tv via a 30ft S-Video cable.
well i already got the s video hocked up.

but i do need stuff get the sound hocked up also.

whats a stock cable?

-Modest Mouse
Old 2nd November, 2001, 06:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

a stock cable is the cable that came with the manufacturer of the product you bought.