AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th October, 2001, 05:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Decoder Card...

Okay, I'm looking for a decoder card right now.I couldn't find any locally, so I looked online. My options are the dxr3 and the hollywood pro decoder..I heard they were about the same in preformance, except that the hollywood can have a remote control. Thanx
Old 14th October, 2001, 01:15 PM
AOA Staff

most modern video cards will do DVD playback just fine without a decoder, I havent had to use one since the 8meg Trident days
Old 14th October, 2001, 01:53 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Yeah, I use software decoding. But since my computer didn't have a TV-out, I bought the hollywood decoder to use as a TV-out for DVD's. It works pretty nice. Good picture quality.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th October, 2001, 06:15 PM

my system is fast enough to use software decoding, but I am in need of video out..I was leaning toward the hollywood..I think I'll get that one..
Old 16th October, 2001, 01:29 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to SJAXKINGPIN

Thumbs up

While software decoding is viable for most of us, you'll never get Hardware quality w/ the software decoders available now. The Hollywood + is far and away the better choice for H/W decoders. I've seen both of these in action, and the Hollywood outperforms the creative in every respect. CPU usage, Picture quality, Output quality on the card. Unless there is money to be saved w/ the C/L, I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Old 16th October, 2001, 01:47 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

I haven't played DVD's on my monitor since I got the decoder so I can't really do a comparison, as the TV is less clear. But it is clearer than the Playstation on my TV.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th October, 2001, 05:36 AM

yeah, the hollywood it is then. My setup is botched, but my final setup will be 5.1 on a 27" tv with out a surround sound reciever. the only cost to me will be cables and a decoder card.