AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th October, 2001, 05:59 AM

MX400 improvements (Ongoing)

This thread will be updated by me from time to time to let people know what will really up their system and what is too much effort to even bother with.
This is an on going thing that I am doing with my Visiontek GeForce 2 MX400 64meg.
My first attempt at Mad Onjin 2000 using this setup:
DX8.1 beta
default drivers
Celeron 633 @750
passive heatsink (Not modded yet)
384megs of ram
using the 1024*768 setup as most gamers do.
I got a score of 3500 which was sad. So then I heard about flashing the bios on the card. Flashed the bios to a different ver of the card with the same TV/out decoder.

Ran MO 2000 again same setup but there was a change.
This time the score read: 3926

Once again running MO 2000 this time the change was the Det4 21.83 drivers for 9x.
Same setup and the score read: 3978
not much of a change but still some.

In the next few days the plans go as followed:
Remover passive heastink , lap it and reapply with AS2 and a 23cfm 60mm fan.

I am also getting an Aska sliver mtn heatsink so we will look at the OC and how much it hikes up the scores.

Not much longer after that I will be adding ram sinks and then we will look at OCing the Core and Memory.

I hope Daniel ~ doesn't mind me doing this on going report on the modding of my Vid card and how well each tweak does.

AMD XP 1700+ @ 1639mhz (Bad vid card can't hold high FSB)
Epox 8hka+
Aska Silver Mtn 40ºC full load folding 24/7
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
GF2MX400 w/ updated bios modded with 23cfm fan and AS2 under the heatsink on the GPU
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th October, 2001, 06:11 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Of such stuff as forums are made of!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th October, 2001, 05:18 PM
Banned

Good luck. Modding is fun, but the problems you might be having may be system related, so don't put all your eggs into this one basket .
Old 17th October, 2001, 06:01 PM

I am going to do my entire system pinky but I just want to kinda make a FAQ so to speak for others that are looking to get better preformance ratings out of their cards and the system will come in a few days. When I am all done Daniel will find a full copy of everything with pictures of every step.

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
GF2MX400 w/ updated bios modded with 23cfm fan and AS2 under the heatsink on the GPU
Old 17th October, 2001, 06:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Nice start for our AOA Overclocking FAQ!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 20th October, 2001, 03:53 PM

Exclamation UPDATE

After I got my Heatsink, Shim, and AS2 yesterday I went to work.

After seating the monster heatsink known as the Asks Silver Mtn (I call it a monster because the thing weighs 1.2lb)

**Note** The following could ruin your card please refer to Dimreapers sig at this point which reads as follows:
Notice: AOA Forums is not liable for injuries, deaths, or any loses,
resulting from following my instruction or advice! I am not liable
for injuries, deaths, or any loses, resulting from following my
instruction or advice! By following my instructions or advices you
agree to these terms.
This also goes for lose of equipment.

I stuck my card in the freeze with a bottle of 151 that had been in there for a good week. That way it had to spend less time trying to get the epoxy to come off. After about 10 mins it was cold enough to pop off the heatsink so then I went to work. Once all the epoxy had been scraped I Dabbed on AS2 onto the GPU and then put some crazy glue around the edges of the GPU. Then I pressed the heasink back into place. I had a spare fan from a Volcano 3 heatsink so I superglued it to the heatsink and viola. I had a 23cfm fan hooked to my GPU.

At that point I put everything back together and OCed my system to what you see in the sig and also Oc my graphics card Default on the card was. 200mhz core and 165mem. The core is now at 205mhz and the Memory is at 180mhz. After I had done this I ran mad onjin 2000 and scored a 4397 so I know I'm doing something right.

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
Old 21st October, 2001, 12:59 AM

Nice job. Not a bad MO 2K score either.
What Det's are you using? I got 5675 w/ my MX400 using the 12.8's.
Then again, I am using an 1.47 T-Bird.
BFG 6800GT (one for now)
2x74Gb Raptors Raid 0
Hitachi 160gb back up
Patriot PC3200XBLK 2x512
XP 90 w/ Panflo
Sony 16X Dual Layer DVDRW
Samsung DVD
Old 21st October, 2001, 03:42 AM

I am running the 21.81s for 9x if anyone knows of better driver tell me and I'll see what I can do. I know this card has more in it I just need ram sinks first.

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
Old 21st October, 2001, 03:10 PM

I found the 12.9's better than the Det XP drivers.
MO 2K - 5346 w/ Det XP
MO 2K - 5675 w/ Det 12.9

I ran Defrag to set things right and Rambooster to clear RAM, before running MO 2K.
BFG 6800GT (one for now)
2x74Gb Raptors Raid 0
Hitachi 160gb back up
Patriot PC3200XBLK 2x512
XP 90 w/ Panflo
Samsung DVD
Old 21st October, 2001, 03:49 PM

Rock I'll do a switch then. Have you seen the detonator-destroyer? When you run it it takes all of the files out that uninstall dosen't

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
Old 24th October, 2001, 10:34 PM

Det. Destroyer is a great program. I use everytime I update the drivers. Hope the 12.9's help your score.
BFG 6800GT (one for now)
2x74Gb Raptors Raid 0
Hitachi 160gb back up
Patriot PC3200XBLK 2x512
XP 90 w/ Panflo
Samsung DVD
Old 30th October, 2001, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Da Whip
Det. Destroyer is a great program. I use everytime I update the drivers. Hope the 12.9's help your score.
Wow I just installed the 12.9's and I jumped my frame rate up a good 7 to 9 frames a sec. time to run 3d mark.

**Edit**

Just ran 3d mark 2000 and I got a score of 4415 but I found a few artifacts on the last test which is the Bump mapping (Emboss -1 pass).

The core is at 210 and the memory is at 193.
Anyone know of anything that could speed this card up some? Maybe dropping the core and upping the ram? Its sdram so I don't know how much higher I can take it.

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm

Last edited by AmbientFiction; 30th October, 2001 at 02:02 AM.
Old 2nd November, 2001, 03:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AmbientFiction

Wow I just installed the 12.9's and I jumped my frame rate up a good 7 to 9 frames a sec. time to run 3d mark.

**Edit**

Just ran 3d mark 2000 and I got a score of 4415 but I found a few artifacts on the last test which is the Bump mapping (Emboss -1 pass).

The core is at 210 and the memory is at 193.
Anyone know of anything that could speed this card up some? Maybe dropping the core and upping the ram? Its sdram so I don't know how much higher I can take it.
You'll have to back down the overclock a bit first, attack the core speed first. The memory is where you're getting the real benefit overclocking your card.

Besides ensuring there's plenty of cooling across the card (like a PCI slot cooler or like I have, the intake fan in front blowing across it enough), you're going to reach your cap rather quickly with the MX400.

Good cards, but not great (the Ultra, that's a great card).
Old 9th November, 2001, 04:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Graphics cards often have a voltage regulator for the GPU, locate it and look up the specs. More than likely there is a voltage feedback pin that when grounded out through a resistor will give the GPU additional voltage, and as a result a higher GPU core speed . . . . . I gotta get this done on my Gainward GF2MX . . . .

Edit: After taking a quick look at my Gainward card, it appears I was mistaken. The voltage regulator is of a three terminal preset variaty(not sure if it's switching or linear though). This means you would probably have to supply voltage to the ground terminal, probably through a resistor, to trick the internal error amplifier out. I'll have a look at the specs for the part that's on my Gainward card to see if I can figure it out.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 9th November, 2001 at 04:59 AM.
Old 9th November, 2001, 05:05 AM

Found the spec sheet for my Gainwards voltage regulator. The regulator is an AME1084(typically the first line on the part identifies the manufacturer and model number). Here is the spec sheet for anyone else using a card with this part:

http://ame.ame.com.tw/Datasheet/ame1084.pdf

Edit: After a quick look through the spec sheet, it appears that the ACDT(second line on the part) means this is an adjustable version of the part, good news indeed. This means the card has a resistor on it that I can replace with one with lower impedance to up the voltage.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 9th November, 2001 at 05:11 AM.
Old 9th November, 2001, 12:21 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I checked the Fairchild datasheet out, and it recommends using a bypass capacitor on the adjust pin to lower ripple and improve transient response.

http://www.hawks.dircon.co.uk/aoa/VReg1084.jpg

Looking at the circuitry around the regulator on my board, you can clearly see the adjustment resistors at R14/R13. R14 is marked on the datasheets as R1, and R13 is the resistor connecting it to ground. Note the lack of C29, which would be the bypass capacitor.

In my instance, I'd need to alter R13 to allow me to bring the voltage up. I'd like to put one of those Dallas/Maxim digitally controllable potentiometers on there, so I can use I2C to adjust the voltage on the fly. Given the circuitry on the board will provide the minimum load (10mA), and the Dallas part can easily handle the 35/50microA that the bandgap reference provides, it should be fairly easy to replace R13 with a resistor and the Dallas part as a trimmer, and R14 with a higher value (~5K?). Wire the Dallas part to the SMBus, and then it should be easy to set!

Well, that's the theory at least!

AidanII

Any idea why it doesn't like the IMG tag?

Last edited by Áedán; 9th November, 2001 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10th November, 2001, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII
Any idea why it doesn't like the IMG tag?
Apparently Spode or Daniel~ do not have it enabled in the topic, I've also noticed the same thing in the EPoX topic. Dan is currently under the weather, but I promise I'll bug him about it when he is back a full capacity.

AOA Team fah
Old 10th November, 2001, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII
Note the lack of C29, which would be the bypass capacitor.
My Gainward card appears to have a bypass capacitor, lucky me I guess . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 10th November, 2001, 07:14 AM
Banned

I know what you guys are saying, unfortunately I have some electronics experience/training from years back, but for some reason when I talk technical it sounds cool, but when I read other techies posts it sounds like geek speak .

Still will have to address the cooling issue if you're upping voltages and clock speeds, which is a real issue with these GF2 cards.
Old 10th November, 2001, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
but when I read other techies posts it sounds like geek speak
One problem, Jeff ain't no techie. He is a "Performance Automotive Engineer", in other words I design/build race car components for a living . . . . I'm a mechanically minded indevidual, some of that just happens to bleed over in to electronics . . . . .

AOA Team fah