AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th October, 2001, 11:59 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Looks Like the Radeon 8500 Sucks :(

Well, maybe sucks is too powerful of a word. But it's not as good as I hoped. Get's whooped by Ti500 in every test that matters to me, Quake, UT and Wolf MP Test. Not cool. Anandtech has a really good review.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th October, 2001, 12:27 AM

Question

Yeah, but what's the price differ? (None of those two card are available in Denmark yet)

I'll bet the Radeon is cheaper than the GF3 Ti 500....
Asus GeForce2 MX 191/221MHz (Mem/Core)
45 Gig IBM HD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th October, 2001, 05:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

It's all about price:performacne in my book.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 18th October, 2001, 09:05 AM

Interestingly, the results don't seem as clear on an AMD rig - see the review at Rivastation.

I guess the puzzle is - do you go for the theoretically less powerful component which traditionally has better drivers to make best use of the power, or take a chance that ATI will come up with a driver set that does the 8500 justice?

Hell, I wasn't going to buy a new card until January anyway - looks like I have a lot of reading to do between now & then!
Old 18th October, 2001, 09:13 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

I thought nVidia and Intel had some sort of arrangement when GeForce architecture was first devised that let the GeForce read the status of the cpu directly and thus synchronise its fetches and sends more accurately. Apparently it can't do this on an AMD system, so a GeForce will whoop any other card on an Intel system, but not be so dominant on AMD boxes... my memory might be playing up, of course - I recently found my CTP2 disc so haven't been getting a lot of sleep
Old 20th October, 2001, 02:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaitain
I thought nVidia and Intel had some sort of arrangement when GeForce architecture was first devised that let the GeForce read the status of the cpu directly and thus synchronise its fetches and sends more accurately. Apparently it can't do this on an AMD system, so a GeForce will whoop any other card on an Intel system, but not be so dominant on AMD boxes... my memory might be playing up, of course - I recently found my CTP2 disc so haven't been getting a lot of sleep
I never heard that, but that's not saying much.
Old 20th October, 2001, 02:29 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman

I never heard that, but that's not saying much.
LOL. No kidding. But will the SSE stuff in the XP trip it?

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 20th October, 2001, 06:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142

LOL. No kidding. But will the SSE stuff in the XP trip it?
gee, thanks.
Old 20th October, 2001, 02:36 PM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman

gee, thanks.
No problem. It was pretty funny, IMO.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 30th October, 2001, 02:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to SJAXKINGPIN

I'm not an ATI fan. My favorite piece of theirs is my original All-In-Wonder. It's still a good card for video/presentation work. ATI's Major failing now, as it was then, is their drivers. If NVIDIA's driver guys were working on the 8500 hardware, this thread wouldn't exist. I've been w/ NVIDIA for quite some time now, and my 32mb Geforce 2GTS is starting to piss me off, so it's time for an upgrade. If I could say for sure right now that ATI would get their driver act together, I think it would be a contender against the TI500. Right now the only thing it's got going for it is the $100+ price gap between them.
2-WD 100GB 7200rpm Drives
Geforce 2 GTS 32mb Waiting for my Ti4400
SB Audigy

Dual PIII 933mhz Server
1/2 GB PC133
2-9.1gb 7200RPM Ultrastars
1-WD 1200Jb 120gb 8mb 7200RPM
40gb 7200 RPM Maxtor
Old 30th October, 2001, 06:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to WhoBeDaPlaya Send a message via AIM to WhoBeDaPlaya

How is the GF2 GTS starting to piss you off? OC'ed it?
Old 31st October, 2001, 02:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to SJAXKINGPIN

I can go sky high on the core, but I bought a generic one. At the time, I was coming straight outta Low-Cash if you know what I mean, so I couldn't be picky about memory speed. I can only get an additional 20mhz or so out of the mem. It's just not cutting it at high REZ in 32-bit w/ all the eye candy on in some of the newer games. And I think I'm starting to hit the limit of my 32mb local vid memory in the same situation.

When I get the fundage, it'll become a hand-me-down to NIX. He shouldn't complain as he's working with my OC'ed TNT2 ULTRA right now.
2-WD 100GB 7200rpm Drives
Geforce 2 GTS 32mb Waiting for my Ti4400
SB Audigy

Dual PIII 933mhz Server
1/2 GB PC133
2-9.1gb 7200RPM Ultrastars
1-WD 1200Jb 120gb 8mb 7200RPM
40gb 7200 RPM Maxtor
Old 3rd November, 2001, 11:10 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

Superman, how's that radeon doing now?
I thought I heard my husband say they (ATI) just released a bunch of new drivers and stuff yesterday....
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!
Old 4th November, 2001, 05:51 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Compuwife
Superman, how's that radeon doing now?
I thought I heard my husband say they (ATI) just released a bunch of new drivers and stuff yesterday....
Not that I know of. I know some unofficial drivers were released but I don't think ATi officially released anything. I'm messing with the unofficials now.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?