AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd July, 2002, 09:38 PM

LCD vs CRT, refresh rates

Ive been looking at a couple of LCD displays for quite some time. What I noticed was that a 15 inch LCD display has a recommended resolution of 1024x768 @ 60-75hz. I have my 17in monitor running at 1024x768 @ 85hz because at 60hz my eyes cant jst take it.

My question: Is LCD 1024x768 @ 60hz equal to CRT 1024x768 @ 60hz?? Or In other words, will the LCD @ 60hz look as good as a CRT @ 85hz???
Old 2nd July, 2002, 10:32 PM

It is very different. You can look at an LCD at 75hz for days without having eye strain.

Problems with LCDs:
-the picture doesn`t look so natural like on CRT monitors
-larger pixels
-small refresh rate
-the angle at which you can look at the monitor to see the picture
-price

I think you already know the positive sides of LCDs. The only reason for me not to buy an LCD is because hardcore Quake-ing is crappy on it(becasue of the smaller refresh rate, which isn`t noticeable in normal games).
Old 2nd July, 2002, 11:38 PM

From what I understand, you shouldn't get eyestrain as easily with an LCD, since they don't actually have a refresh rate (the pixels are constantly lit if you didn't know). I can't really recommend which is better however, since I've never owned an LCD monitor.
Old 2nd July, 2002, 11:54 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

LCD's have only one thing I dislike. Unless they're used with a DVI graphics card, you get the diagonal ripple. It looks terrible.

Invest in a radeon first...
Old 3rd July, 2002, 05:05 AM
Banned

I don't know about a diagnol ripple (could you explain that Kaitan??), but I will never go back to CRT. I've had a 15" LCD for the last 4-5 months and absolutely love the damn thing.
Old 3rd July, 2002, 05:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Would a 18inch lcd be worth it? My mom may get me one :-D-
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd July, 2002, 05:40 AM

Alrayt Thanks guys
Old 3rd July, 2002, 07:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I want a 24" wide aspect ratio Samsung LCD, will one of you guys spot me 4 grand? I'll pay you back in a week, honest . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd July, 2002, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
I don't know about a diagnol ripple (could you explain that Kaitan??), but I will never go back to CRT. I've had a 15" LCD for the last 4-5 months and absolutely love the damn thing.
If you're using an LCD screen from the ordinary analogue out on a graphics card, most LCD screens appear to have faint diagonal lines coursing from top-left to bottom right. Certainly the ones at work all have that... and they're reportedly top-of-the-range flatscreens.
Old 3rd July, 2002, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
I want a 24" wide aspect ratio Samsung LCD, will one of you guys spot me 4 grand? I'll pay you back in a week, honest . . . .
Only if I can have my 60" plasma screen first
Old 3rd July, 2002, 02:06 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Got a friend with a huge plasma screen, i decided i gonna insist on rigging my pc up to it this weekend
ill get pics

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 3rd July, 2002, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaitain
If you're using an LCD screen from the ordinary analogue out on a graphics card, most LCD screens appear to have faint diagonal lines coursing from top-left to bottom right. Certainly the ones at work all have that... and they're reportedly top-of-the-range flatscreens.
Funny, never seen that, and I use the analog out...
Old 3rd July, 2002, 04:52 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

From what I've experienced, I've seen enough problems with pixel jitter and other nasties using an LCD from an analog source. I wouldn't consider using an LCD unless it was driven from a digital source. I wouldn't consider using an LCD until they get the dark performance sorted. My system is used by people who do a lot of photographic work, and an LCD just doesn't cut it against a CRT.

AidanII
Old 3rd July, 2002, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII
From what I've experienced, I've seen enough problems with pixel jitter and other nasties using an LCD from an analog source. I wouldn't consider using an LCD unless it was driven from a digital source. I wouldn't consider using an LCD until they get the dark performance sorted. My system is used by people who do a lot of photographic work, and an LCD just doesn't cut it against a CRT.

AidanII
I can definitely agree with the dark issues, wish to hell black was 99% black and not 80%... but jitter, etc?? Maybe I got lucky with my NEC and Radeon/GF4 cards I've used, because I just don't see any distortions...
Old 3rd July, 2002, 10:29 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
I can definitely agree with the dark issues, wish to hell black was 99% black and not 80%... but jitter, etc?? Maybe I got lucky with my NEC and Radeon/GF4 cards I've used, because I just don't see any distortions...
I don't know why this is, but I've seen numerous LCDs and LCD Projectors that have suffered from pixel jitter. It also seems that some patterns on the display give the system a harder time than others.

I don't know why the jitter occurs - it's certainly a sampling rate issue somewhere. On the other hand, if you have a digital output on your GFX card and a digital input on your LCD, you won't suffer the pixel jitter problem!

AidanII
Old 4th July, 2002, 05:42 AM

If you are seriously considering an LCD, there is quite a bit of first hand experience in this thread.

If the supercooled, overclocking crowd discovers how fast duallies feel, there will be a stampede to build SMP rigs that will make the California gold rush look like a few little old ladies pushing shopping carts at the supermarket.