AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st September, 2002, 03:07 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via ICQ to R0BB23 Send a message via AIM to R0BB23 Send a message via MSN to R0BB23 Send a message via Yahoo to R0BB23

geforce 2 problems

hey hey ladies,

K my 3d blaster ultra Annihilator2. geforce 2 based.

and im having heat problems, major ones. (i assume)

ive had to underclock just to keep it stable.

The standard stuff happens when its at stock, the dots at first, the discoloration, and then the eventual freezing.

its got some quality cooling, replaced the ram sinks it came with and it has a 60x50 gpu heatsink its umm i dont know 50mm tall and has a 60x60 32cfm fan.
artic silver 3.

all on good, nothings lose.

the only thing i can see that might be the problem is that it has this little ring of metal that might be lifting my heatsink on the gpu off to high.

if you guys think thats the case. Lapping is order???

And if lapping is the case, how do you suppose i go about it to insure the safest lap, you know without ****ing anything up.

"Opinions are like kittens, I'm giving them away."
-Modest Mouse
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st September, 2002, 03:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

ummm........... take a small piece of 600grit and be very very careful....... what little piece of metal ring?
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st September, 2002, 03:18 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via ICQ to R0BB23 Send a message via AIM to R0BB23 Send a message via MSN to R0BB23 Send a message via Yahoo to R0BB23

there arent any good pics of the gpu, all are over heads and you can barely see it. In the pics it just looks like a little distortion

-Modest Mouse
Old 1st September, 2002, 07:00 AM
Banned

Yo bro, been a long time since I've seen you post

I think I remember the metal piece you speak of, and like Spyder says, be careful to avoid the center portion of the GPU as much as possible... you will have to be certain that's the issue first before risking it, lapping the GPU is very risky as there's not alot of material to lap before you're grind at the actual core...
Old 1st September, 2002, 02:46 PM
AOA Staff

yah, been doing other things. Havent been posting much at all.

I know to avoid the core and all.

And i cant find anything else that could be it,

like i said it has some good cooling, ummm the ac3 hasnt leaked, everythings on snug, it is the gcard for sure too (been runing the system on a crappier back up card for the time being and its been up 22 hours now without a problem), ive tried different drivers.

So really after this i have no idea what it could be.

Thats why ive already got money transfering over to my paypal, if this doesnt work im just going to go ahead and buy a new gcard.

-Modest Mouse
Old 1st September, 2002, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by R0BB23
Thats why ive already got money transfering over to my paypal, if this doesnt work im just going to go ahead and buy a new gcard.
Mmmm, GF4 Ti4200 yumminess :-D
Old 1st September, 2002, 03:29 PM
AOA Staff

ahahaha, just a little to far out of my price range
unexpected expenses suck.

Oh i think i might be spending some more time with you ladies

-Modest Mouse
Old 1st September, 2002, 04:52 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Power to the Robbs!!! Sup man, haven't seen you in a dogs age (water boy)

I got a question for ya, do you have the side cover off or on? How's the system temps?
Robb24
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 1st September, 2002, 05:14 PM
AOA Staff

ah well its the south so my sys temps can get a little high at times but i dont think thats the problem.

umm at worst they hit 34c they stay more around 32/31.

Since ive had the porblem ive had it off and on so i dont think it matters

If your thinking dust, thats not it. Ive dusted it off a few times and that doesnt work.

-Modest Mouse
Old 2nd September, 2002, 12:24 AM
AOA Staff

well i sand her, clean her up. and well its to early to tell by the early signs arent good.

Ill play some games, do some 3dmarks and get back to you.

-Modest Mouse
Old 2nd September, 2002, 01:54 AM
AOA Staff

Nope still giving me ****.

So looks like im getting a new gcard.

Unless you guys got any ideas before the money transfers over (1-2days at the most).

-Modest Mouse
Old 2nd September, 2002, 04:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by R0BB23
Unless you guys got any ideas before the money transfers over (1-2days at the most).
Afraid not
Old 2nd September, 2002, 08:08 PM
AOA Staff

Well at least ill be able to focus on my overclock now.

only got my 1.4@1.6 i know i can hit at least another 50mhz, and i havent really pushed the fsb so far

-Modest Mouse