AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th October, 2001, 06:18 PM
Member/Contributer

GeForce drivers

What drivers would be best for my aging GeForce 256 DDR?

Useful sys details:
P3@1 gig
Win98SE
DirectX 8

I have noticed a BIG drop in 3Dmark2K score since installing DirectX8, can this be right? Should I use other drivers, and are there any optimized for DX8?

I can't think of anything else than DX8 as the culprit here. So, what drivers should I DL?
Old 26th October, 2001, 08:22 PM

3dMark2K is optimized for DX7. 3dMark2K1 is optimized for DX8.

If you're looking for drivers, www.guru3d.com is where I go for them.
Old 26th October, 2001, 08:24 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

And for the record, www.rage3d.com for Radeon drivers.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2001, 05:17 PM
Member/Contributer

Thanks Wally, any ideas as to which one I should use?

Superman: Radeon drivers don't help me much, please just post them where they do good. 'just for the record'.
Old 27th October, 2001, 06:06 PM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Allan Nielsen

Superman: Radeon drivers don't help me much, please just post them where they do good. 'just for the record'.
Sorry, Allan. And I've only heard good things about the Det 4's (or XP's). The newest version are the 21.83's. If you're using Win 95/98/ME (evil ), direct link: http://209.213.197.10/Windows/21.83/Win9x_21.83.exe

For NT/2000/XP (hooray!) direct link: http://209.213.197.10/Windows/21.83/WinXP_21.83.exe

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2001, 09:16 PM

Quote:

I'm using the 1410's with my GeForce 2 MX400 and Windows 98. The reason I like these drivers, is that under the control tab for them, it lets you change things such as the AGP aperature (1x/2x/4x), and the memory and core clock. I was having some fun OCing it, but set it back to stock, since I didn't have a good cooler on it. I've tried the 14.10 and the 21.80. I didn't see any difference in benchmarks or in games, but the 21.80 don't have the hardware tweaks built in.
Old 31st October, 2001, 06:08 PM
Member/Contributer

Thanks both, time to grab some drivers!
Old 31st October, 2001, 09:19 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: GeForce drivers

Quote:

I have noticed a BIG drop in 3Dmark2K score since installing DirectX8, can this be right? Should I use other drivers, and are there any optimized for DX8?
Ok! A question here - which version of DirectX 8 did you install? DX8 or DX8a? DX8a seems to have itself a good reputation for seriously slowing stuff down...

AidanII
Old 1st November, 2001, 12:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to proze

i'm running 8a with no probs.. maybe i should try 8 out. is there anyway to go back?

Duron 600@1102 (105*10.5), Asus A7V, 256MB generic RAM at 140mhz 2-2-2, MTS Glaciator II, Creative GF Pro, Awesome no-name 300W PSU.
Old 1st November, 2001, 02:22 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by proze
i'm running 8a with no probs.. maybe i should try 8 out. is there anyway to go back?
Yeah, right. Format, maybe

Usually when you install DirectX it won't go backwards. You can try though, shouldn't hurt anything.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 6th November, 2001, 04:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to SJAXKINGPIN

I know you could revert to 7.0 from 7.1 w/ no problems. While the newest drivers seem to work well on the newest hardware, I've heard several complaints that the Det4/DX8a combo was causing slowdowns for orig. Geforce owners. While it's not really feasible (for me anyway) to stay w/ DX7, I would try going back from A.
2-WD 100GB 7200rpm Drives
Geforce 2 GTS 32mb Waiting for my Ti4400
SB Audigy

Dual PIII 933mhz Server
1/2 GB PC133
2-9.1gb 7200RPM Ultrastars
1-WD 1200Jb 120gb 8mb 7200RPM
40gb 7200 RPM Maxtor
Old 9th November, 2001, 02:38 PM
Member/Contributer

I installed the newest nVidia ref. drivers, and upped the score with a couple of thousand points (!), so now my good old GeForce256 scores 6275 3Dmarks in the 2k ver.

Thanks guys I guess that was all it took.