AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th October, 2002, 09:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

These are great dude~! Wish i had gotten one~

Quote:
Originally posted by r0l0e
hi again guys,

what do you think if the Hercules Game Theater XP
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th October, 2002, 09:12 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

MORE memory!!!!
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th October, 2002, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Spyder
These are great dude~! Wish i had gotten one~

now i'm stuck between the hercules and the TB. now i guess it all depend on availability on where i'll oder the parts. i'm thinking going to either newegg or mwave.

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie
MORE memory!!!!
i was thinking along the same line. now i have to downgrade some parts to get the extra stick of memory and stay as close to the $1000 mark.

Shuttle SB61G2 | PIV 2.8C @ 3.5GHz
Old 5th October, 2002, 10:14 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Yeah, if your going to be working with wav files they can hog ALOT of memory real quick. So I'd say drop in AT LEAST another 128.

$.02
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 5th October, 2002, 11:48 PM

Ok~ you dont need a CDrom- dvd- and a burner~ drop the cdrom and use the $$$ to get another 256mgs ram ATLEAST
AOA Team fah
Old 6th October, 2002, 12:10 AM
AOA Staff

Good point spyder, Three of them is a little redundent.
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 6th October, 2002, 12:13 AM

the cdwriter cost ~$85
the cdrom cost ~$32
the dvdrom cost ~$38

i've always make it a rule of thumb never to use the cdwriter to read audio cd's on a normal basis. it's easier to swallow if a part that cost 32$ breaks rather than the part that cost 85$.

maybe i should just get rid of the cdrom and keep the dvdrom and cdwriter. but that only saves me about $35.

maybe i should just go with the ATI 8500LE 64mb DDR instead of the 8500 128mb DDR. that's an ~80$ difference between the two.

wadda ya think?

Old 6th October, 2002, 12:27 AM

well.. you want the video~ you dont need the cdrom (dvd should work fine) whats your 17inch LCD price? Frys has some nice ones for $397 right now....
AOA Team fah
Old 6th October, 2002, 12:40 AM
Banned

The 17" LCD is nice to have, but maybe a little excessive for a low end (yes, $1000 is still low end) rig...

I agree that more memory won't hurt, but with most applications they swap the info to the harddrive, so the extra memory isn't even used... they assume you have next to no memory and they are also written to work on really slow machines so they cover all the bases they can and sell to everyone they can (excluding people because their hardware is outdated means to lose a sale).

The only reason RAM is important is when applying effects, the program will load as much as it can to the RAM (if my understanding is correct), make the change to the info, and write it back to the temp file for the project it creates on the harddisk. It can do this as effectively with 256MB as it will with 768mb, assuming you aren't running 10 applications at once, then you may need more (I never need more than a handful at a time for music production).

The only reason I have 768 is easy availability (thanks Thundr ) and that I play games like BF1942 which actually require more...
Old 6th October, 2002, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Spyder
well.. you want the video~ you dont need the cdrom (dvd should work fine) whats your 17inch LCD price? Frys has some nice ones for $397 right now....
well, we found one locally for 185$. not too bad and we couldn't resist the price. or we could canvas for a normal 17" monitor for about 150$. i will get rid of the cdrom though

@Pinky,

we will be adding an xtra 512mb ddr. the part that confuses me is the details about the mixer to be used when plugging a guitar to it and will the mixer be able to plug into the TB? can you please provide a link as to where i can get more info about mixers for amature musicians?

thanks

Old 6th October, 2002, 01:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by r0l0e
can you please provide a link as to where i can get more info about mixers for amature musicians?

thanks
Sure.

Here's one that has a lot of the features of mine .

I paid $50 for mine on sale at Mars Music. I've seen them listed as high as $300 elsewhere... and it's top notch .

All you do is run the pre-out from the mixer to the line-in on the PC sound card.
Old 6th October, 2002, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky

Sure.

Here's one that has a lot of the features of mine .

I paid $50 for mine on sale at Mars Music. I've seen them listed as high as $300 elsewhere... and it's top notch .

All you do is run the pre-out from the mixer to the line-in on the PC sound card.
Pinky... i'll have a look at some of the local stuff. thanks for the link.