AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th September, 2002, 11:30 AM
Banned

The truth about VGA ramsinks

Here's the determining factor in DECIDING to use these ramsinks.

DOES YOUR CPU hsf blow air on your cpu to cool? If so, passive aluminum ramsinks prolly will help to cool your bga memory modules.

IF YOUR CPU hsf exhausts hot air off the cpu (like mine) some of this hot air is held by the vga ramsinks & your memory will begin to incubate.

Recently I applied some Thermaltake (part copper/part aluminum) ramsinks to the bga modules (opposite side of gpu hsf). My Cooler Master Heatpipe exhaust cpu hot air & these fekkin ramsinks seemed to absorb all of it. My case temps rose 8 degrees in less then 30 seconds.

Needless to say I trashed them.
Old 26th September, 2002, 11:47 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

If the case air temperature rose, then that's because you disrupted the airflow, and caused the air to circulate mostly in a loop. Either that, or the hot air was missing your thermal sensor before you disrupted the airflow.

You might consider vectoring the air away from the card and (presuming you have a tower) use the PSU fan to extract the hot air from your CPU. Otherwise you're just hoping that the hot air from the CPU goes the right direction.

AidanII
Old 26th September, 2002, 12:09 PM
Banned

I decided not to use them at all. I was being greedy. My memory is overclocked 140 Mhz WITHOUT ramsinsks (275/550 to 322/690).

I no longer have a backup vid card in case I fry it. Sold my retail 8500 for $55.

My case is a tower, real roomy too.
Old 14th October, 2002, 09:54 PM

I am beginning to wonder about the value of the RAMsinks on my card, the RAM only goes to 480 and I'm pretty sure it should be 4ns RAM at least. I have read that sinks can act as an antenna and pick up stray RFI and insert it into sensitive chips, causing problems, that's why some reports of sinks on RAM shows worse performance with them than without them. I would normally expect 4ns RAM to go a little beyond spec and get like 520 or so.

However there are some issues with my board and higher powered graphics cards, I need to rework it sometime when my hands are feeling real steady, or send it away and wait 3 months. So maybe after that's fixed there will be a difference.

Anyhoo, sinks can be a help or a hinderance on RAM. IT's one of those experiment and see situations.

Road Warrior
...Shouldn't natives of Canada be Canadanians?
Or alternatively, Bermuda=Bermudans, Grenada=Grenadans, Canada=Canadans????
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!