AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Best CD-ROM IDE settings? (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2003)

TranceBear 26th December, 2001 07:41 AM

Best CD-ROM IDE settings?

1 Attachment(s)
From the picture can you tell me what the best settings are for my Optical drives? Cool program huh? I found it tonight.

mrpcman 26th December, 2001 11:31 AM

I think you want udma 2..I could be wrong though...

Pinky 26th December, 2001 03:25 PM

Yep, the higher the DMA mode the faster the transfer...

DMA 1 = 33mhz
DMA 2 = 66mhz
DMA 4 = 100mhz

(I think this is right, I didn't look it up, know this from experience ;) )

**Update: I found this link with some specifics about the slower speeds... confirms what I thought, but the values I listed above are for Ultra DMA mode only)

jay 6th January, 2002 01:25 AM

i hope you dont have a burner on that secnond IDE chanel.....
You can have problems burning from CD-ROM to CD-R when they are on the same channel

SteveI 6th January, 2002 03:11 AM

Best thing to do is look at your Panasonic DVD and check out the fastest UDMA setting there. Then go with the same setting on both drives. Since they are on the same cable, you are better off that way.

BTW, can you get full speed direct copies? I figure on the same ribbon, you won't get 24x. I have my 16x burner on it's own, and a DVD 16x on it's own, and I still can't get burns better than 12x. For some stinking reason, I can't get the DVD to read faster than 12x, and it should read CDs up to 40x.

Where can I get that program you're using?

cloasters 6th January, 2002 03:55 AM

I'm told that NOT checking the "DMA" box in Device Manager for both CD-ROM's and CD-R's if you'll be using them to burn is the way to go.

SteveI 6th January, 2002 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by cloasters
I'm told that NOT checking the "DMA" box in Device Manager for both CD-ROM's and CD-R's if you'll be using them to burn is the way to go.
I've read both! Really f'ed up. Some say if you have problems, make sure it's enabled, others the opposite. I think those responsible to writing it are clueless and are taking shots in the dark. Leaves us with expensive hardware trying to get it to work. I burn from HDD fine (16x) but from my DVD, I see the speed drop and the cache drop all the time. Why did I get a high speed burner again?

Aedan 6th January, 2002 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SteveI
Some say if you have problems, make sure it's enabled, others the opposite.
Enabling high speed DMA puts more loading on things like cables and motherboard controllers. Some cables are just too cheap to support such rates. Some mobo controllers just can't manage it. Some drives are too cheap to really do DMA too well... (But you're unlikely to have one of them!)

If you don't have problems with DMA enabled, then you're fine. If you do have problems with DMA enabled, then it's quite possible something isn't up to it.

If you're having problems with DMA disabled, then either you have an extremely c***py processor, or something is killing your bus bandwidth. (Like a dodgy driver.)

AidanII

CNUCompGuy 14th January, 2002 02:40 PM

trancebear,

where did u get that IDETool program?? Did it come with your board or did u download it online?? If you downloaded it online, could you please post the page, thanks, ttyl :D

TranceBear 18th January, 2002 09:11 AM

www.viaarena.com

CNUCompGuy 18th January, 2002 09:26 AM

am I mistaken or is that IDETool just for the VIA chipset?? I have the ECS K7S5A motherboard and I don't think it will work with it if it is just for VIA boards.... :(

TranceBear 18th January, 2002 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by CNUCompGuy
am I mistaken or is that IDETool just for the VIA chipset?? I have the ECS K7S5A motherboard and I don't think it will work with it if it is just for VIA boards.... :(
You are correct about the VIA thingy.