AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Like watching Scrambled cable...card is freezing (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21574)

Krak 4th November, 2003 02:47 AM

Like watching Scrambled cable...card is freezing

1 Attachment(s)
Today I put in a DVD burner, nothing complicated, I just swapped out my CD-R and put in the new.

Now whenever I try to play a game that involved high end graphics such as Warcraft III or Splinter Cell my screen freezes up.

Sometimes I can look at the main screen of WC3 for about 30 seconds, but the next thing I know it starts to flicker like scrambled cable and then it just freezes and I must reboot?

I have no idea what is wrong? I have the most current drivers for my nvidia Geforce4 ti 4200.

so far I have uninstalled the card and reinstalled the drivers.

Downloaded the newest version of DirectX

Got 3DMark03 and can't get through 3 seconds of testing.

Nothing has worked. The only thing I can think of is that I could have sparked the system when I was installing the DVD, but I did make sure I was grounded.

sorry but here's a dark pic of what I'm talking about

I am clueless as to what to do next.

bradmax57 4th November, 2003 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krak
Today I put in a DVD burner, nothing complicated, I just swapped out my CD-R and put in the new.

Now whenever I try to play a game that involved high end graphics such as Warcraft III or Splinter Cell my screen freezes up.

Sometimes I can look at the main screen of WC3 for about 30 seconds, but the next thing I know it starts to flicker like scrambled cable and then it just freezes and I must reboot?

I have no idea what is wrong? I have the most current drivers for my nvidia Geforce4 ti 4200.

so far I have uninstalled the card and reinstalled the drivers.

Downloaded the newest version of DirectX

Got 3DMark03 and can't get through 3 seconds of testing.

Nothing has worked. The only thing I can think of is that I could have sparked the system when I was installing the DVD, but I did make sure I was grounded.

sorry but here's a dark pic of what I'm talking about

I am clueless as to what to do next.

Have you tried putting CDR back in and seeing what happens then? Do you only have the 1 drive in at once?

Krak 4th November, 2003 04:34 PM

Cd-r

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradmax57
Have you tried putting CDR back in and seeing what happens then? Do you only have the 1 drive in at once?

I have not tried putting that back in yet but that is my next step.

No I have a DVD reader and now the DVD burner.

bradmax57 4th November, 2003 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krak
I have not tried putting that back in yet but that is my next step.

No I have a DVD reader and now the DVD burner.

You have got the jumpers on the drives set right?

danrok 4th November, 2003 09:02 PM

It is easy to dislodge a cable or pci card when installing new kit.

Turn the machine off and go through every connection on each device and ensure that cards are correctly seated, etc.

Recently, the power was cutting out on my graphics card. The power lead to blame was almost brand new and looks perfect.