AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   New Radeon Beta drivers 98-ME 9008/w2k and XP 6011 (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2277)

Pinky 13th January, 2002 06:37 AM

New Radeon Beta drivers 98-ME 9008/w2k and XP 6011

Windows 2000 beta.

Windows XP beta.

Windows 98/ME beta.

Some are claiming good results with these, some are having typical Radeon driver issues. Apparently these will work with the 7000 generation Radeon cards also, but are intended for use with the 8500 series.

Feel free to leave your comments/questions here.

SteveI 13th January, 2002 06:41 AM

Sorry, I need to buy a vowel.
I have an old RadeonLE... can I use these drivers, or is it only for the new 7500-8500 Radeons?

Pinky 13th January, 2002 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SteveI
I have an old RadeonLE... can I use these drivers, or is it only for the new 7500-8500 Radeons?

The comments I've read only made mention of 7000+ series cards utilizing them... you probably won't be able to, but if you give them a try let us know how they work... I will be trying them after I finish up here, so I'll have something to say... :)

OK -- My results:

4000 points in 3dMark2001, the highest ever for this card. Also notice the absolute smoothness, no bottlenecking whatsoever, etc. These really do seem to work wonders!

Superman 13th January, 2002 07:27 AM

Quote:

If they work with 7000+ you will be fine. Because your LE is the same as a 7000, just at a lower core/mem clock. I don't have a system to run my radeon on at the moment, otherwise I would've been all over them :p

SteveI 13th January, 2002 07:32 AM

I got hosed!!!!
On my XP system, I loaded the Xp driver... It gave me messages that some of the files being installed were older than what I had, (huh?) so I did not replace. Problem 1: I can't look at the settings 'cause the screen will freeze and go black. Problem 2: When I tried to run 3d2k01, it gave me an error... looked familiar, kinda like when I tried to run it using an old directx.

ergo, for me it sucks. no benchies. I gott get back in so I can try to roll back the driver. Never did it ... hope it works.

Superman 13th January, 2002 07:37 AM

Quote:

I got hosed!!!!
On my XP system, I loaded the Xp driver... It gave me messages that some of the files being installed were older than what I had, (huh?) so I did not replace. Problem 1: I can't look at the settings 'cause the screen will freeze and go black. Problem 2: When I tried to run 3d2k01, it gave me an error... looked familiar, kinda like when I tried to run it using an old directx.

ergo, for me it sucks. no benchies. I gott get back in so I can try to roll back the driver. Never did it ... hope it works.

Rule #1: Always replace. You have half of one drivers files, and half of the other drivers. Rolling back is the first thing to try. If no work, delete adapter and reinstall drivers.

Pinky 13th January, 2002 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Superman53142

Rule #1: Always replace. You have half of one drivers files, and half of the other drivers. Rolling back is the first thing to try. If no work, delete adapter and reinstall drivers.

I didn't run into that issue because, as superman says, "always replace."

SteveI 13th January, 2002 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pinky

I didn't run into that issue because, as superman says, "always replace."

Ok.. I'll try again. I figured there was a problem since some of the files were older than what I was using. I'll cross my fingers and try again.

SteveI 13th January, 2002 04:51 PM

It would appear that I've made quite a few newbie mistakes this weekend with upgrades. I've got a lot of work left, and I gotta use my head better.

I need to change my vote:
Old default XP drivers: 3275.
New beta drivers: 3599!!!

http://gamershq.madonion.com/product...?&prid=2454683

[edit: I just figured out how to use the result browser.]

For guys who have studied the radeon, do my scores look right?

That's a pretty significant boost for this ole' card. I wonder what the 7000 series scores with the old drivers.
:) :) :)

thehandler 14th January, 2002 11:33 PM

question

Ok, can we really use these Beta drivers without a problem? As always the web site gives all those disclaimers and all that jazz.
Mike

SteveI 15th January, 2002 12:21 AM

The only problems I encountered were through my own mistakes. The performance improvement was quite noticable. And I recommend them, based on my limited exposure to them.

Pinky 15th January, 2002 12:47 AM

Re: question

Quote:

Originally posted by thehandler
Ok, can we really use these Beta drivers without a problem? As always the web site gives all those disclaimers and all that jazz.
Mike

I think those who've encountered issues were clicking "NO" to replacing files during installation, but if you click "Yes" to replace newer files, you'll be fine.

"Just click Yes."

Smoke that Nancy Reagan!! :p

thehandler 17th January, 2002 12:47 AM

I just installed the Beta drivers for my Radeon 32DDR. I am using the WIn98SE os. MY 3DMARK 2001 scores went up by 200 points. Woe, I am impressed. I had just a couple of weeks before that, installed the latest official drivers off the web site. When I did, myscores fell by about 70 points over the previous driver. Then when I installed this Beta driver, I got all that back and an additional 130 points. Mike

TranceBear 18th January, 2002 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just installed my new 8500 and was doing some mega-testing. Here is the 1st test with old drivers at stock speed.

TranceBear 18th January, 2002 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the 2nd test with new drivers at stock speed. I need to learn how to tweak this thing!!

thehandler 18th January, 2002 06:34 PM

stuff

Damn, that's a hell of a benchmark. Woe.... If I might suggest using the program called Radeon Tweaker to oc your card. I use it on mine and it is awesome. I think it is the best of the Radeon Teakers and uses the least amount of resouces. My guess is that your scores will be reach some awesome numbers.
Say, is your card an LE version or is it the OEM or is it the Retail?
Have you verified the memory used if it is 230/250/275mhz?
Thanks Mike

TranceBear 19th January, 2002 04:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It is an LE, 250/250. All the tests are at those speeds. I tweaked it abit to 275/275 (retail 8500 teritory) and I acheived the following score.

thehandler 19th January, 2002 06:17 AM

memory

The LE version is supposed to have 230mhz ram from every source I can find. The oem is 250 and the retail is 275mhz.
I just ordered today an oem at 250mhz and frankly, I wish I had the bucks to go all out on the retail but the price diff is way too much.
I am just wondering why you listed it as 250? Just curious. Very impressive scores guy. Mike

TranceBear 19th January, 2002 06:36 AM

It is OEM but I am under the impression that the OEM and LE are the same. I could be wrong, I am new to ATI. I am sure that the stock core and memory is 250 according to powerstrip and the memory is -36

andrek 19th January, 2002 02:30 PM

The .9008beta driver gets my vote. 3DMark2001 score on my LE 32DDR jumped about 250 pts.! I can't rule out possible other issues since all I've done since installing is the benchmark but it looks good so far.