AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum Ex question (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2317)

FerrariF50 15th January, 2002 02:10 PM

Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum Ex question

Haveing heard that Via chipset's have problem with Sound Blaster sound chip's The mobo I have is a Soyo Sy-k7VTA-Pro With a Via KT133A NorthBridge and 686B SouthBridge

So will I have a problem and is their a fix for it?

Pinky 15th January, 2002 02:35 PM

I am certain you'll be OK, think you have the proper chipset and won't encounter any issues.

There are fixes available for the issues, so don't fret too much about them (it's happening on fewer chipsets than in past Soundblaster issues).

FerrariF50 15th January, 2002 02:38 PM

ok good.... Now when are the Geforce 4's comeing out? And what's their price going to be on their high end model?

Pinky 15th January, 2002 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by FerrariF50
ok good.... Now when are the Geforce 4's comeing out? And what's their price going to be on their high end model?
They still don't use the GF3 features. Don't bother to get either until there's at least a game or three that use pixel shaders, etc...

FerrariF50 15th January, 2002 04:56 PM

I myself think Nvdia is getting ahead of it's self....Anyway I'm trying to decide should I get the Klipsch 4.1's or the Logtec Z560 both have 400Watts the Logtec is about $150 cheaper I think...Sub's sound the same...Lots of problems with the new Klipsch 5.1's and problems with the 4.1's speakers cuting out and so on..and a Transistor problem in the 5.1's....so I'm looking forward to the Logtec now as I just got a Yamaha 30Watt 2.1 yesterday.. I would love to see 400Watts of Bass in my room LOL

Pinky 15th January, 2002 05:24 PM

I have a 3 piece labtec set that sound great, only $50 at best buy, and I produce music on/with them lol

Kilpsch sound great, yes. For $150, how great? Not that great.

FerrariF50 15th January, 2002 05:38 PM

Here is the Logitec Z-560 man thats a big port on the side! The best thing is it's only $199.99 unlike Klispch's 4.1 which is $299

http://www.hothardware.com/reviews/i...chz560/kit.jpg

Pinky 15th January, 2002 05:56 PM

Seen a few reviews on those, great bargain speakers :)

Good choice.

FerrariF50 15th January, 2002 06:01 PM

lol I can only turn it up when my negibor is not here or my mom...I want to see how good it sound..all the stores I go to never have those klispch hooked up...But their Prices are like Intel.... so I really think I'm going to get these..maybe Next month most likey..So i will let you know how it goes...lol because my Yamaha 30Watt 2.1 is not up to the job...But it does do a good job when it's turned up half way...

Pinky 15th January, 2002 09:20 PM

I use egg cartons to absorb some of the sub woofers vibrations... 400 watts is a lot more than most need, I have 470 Watts in my home 5.1 system and never used more than 100 of it :p

FerrariF50 15th January, 2002 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pinky
I use egg cartons to absorb some of the sub woofers vibrations... 400 watts is a lot more than most need, I have 470 Watts in my home 5.1 system and never used more than 100 of it :p

Egg cartons?? thats new to me...Well looking around in the Klispch fourm most put their subs in the corner of a wall..they say it gives deeper bass...yes it does but nothing really to scream about...

Aedan 16th January, 2002 10:55 AM

Corner loading the sub does help with most consumer subs, but with the risk that you'll end up with boomy muddy sound. This is even more true in smaller rooms, where you can't realistically reproduce such low frequencies without throwing a lot of power and a lot of EQ at it.

Personally, I'm running a Sherwood receiver as my amp - the closest US model is the RD-6106. That manages 60W RMS x 5 channels. No idea how that compares to the Klipsch, as Klipsch don't post meaningful figures on their website. The Sherwood was ~£150. The front speakers are Jamo, and actually need replacing, as their high end response starts to flag after about 15KHz. The rear speakers are Ariston MSX03's - not the best in the world either!

I'm running a Depth Charge sub, based around a Kenwood 12" sub and a 5th order box, running off a seperate amplifier. This is good enough to get down into the infrasonics, if you fancy wasting power. ;) No, it's not corner loaded, as it'd sound bad if it were!

AidanII

FerrariF50 16th January, 2002 01:48 PM

well I'm going to try out that Logitech if they could ever keep them in stock! the sub on the Logitec is 188Watts thats more then the Klispch 4.1 can offer...Plus I bet it sounds better anyway.

Pinky 16th January, 2002 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AidanII
Corner loading the sub does help with most consumer subs, but with the risk that you'll end up with boomy muddy sound. This is even more true in smaller rooms, where you can't realistically reproduce such low frequencies without throwing a lot of power and a lot of EQ at it.

Personally, I'm running a Sherwood receiver as my amp - the closest US model is the RD-6106. That manages 60W RMS x 5 channels. No idea how that compares to the Klipsch, as Klipsch don't post meaningful figures on their website. The Sherwood was ~£150. The front speakers are Jamo, and actually need replacing, as their high end response starts to flag after about 15KHz. The rear speakers are Ariston MSX03's - not the best in the world either!

I'm running a Depth Charge sub, based around a Kenwood 12" sub and a 5th order box, running off a seperate amplifier. This is good enough to get down into the infrasonics, if you fancy wasting power. ;) No, it's not corner loaded, as it'd sound bad if it were!

AidanII

I grabbed a decent STR-DE475 Sony amp (I never thought much of them, but for surround sound they're ok), using a 75Watt powered KLH sub, KLH center and rears (got them free with the purchase of the Sony amp), and a pair of Sony MB100H smaller front speakers. I am very please with the fronts, they compliment the range of the sub fine (seem to pick right up where the sub lacks) and have great definition for $50/pair.

maybe this will answer spyder's other thread too ;)

I used to believe in "the bigger the better", but ever since I heard a Bose setup, I know that's not the case :p

FerrariF50 16th January, 2002 04:57 PM

Quote:

I grabbed a decent STR-DE475 Sony amp (I never thought much of them, but for surround sound they're ok), using a 75Watt powered KLH sub, KLH center and rears (got them free with the purchase of the Sony amp), and a pair of Sony MB100H smaller front speakers. I am very please with the fronts, they compliment the range of the sub fine (seem to pick right up where the sub lacks) and have great definition for $50/pair.

maybe this will answer spyder's other thread too ;)

I used to believe in "the bigger the better", but ever since I heard a Bose setup, I know that's not the case :p

yeah I remember hearing a Bose in person...I was in shock I was like this sounds like crap...How can people like it? and their prices are crazy!

Pinky 16th January, 2002 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by FerrariF50

yeah I remember hearing a Bose in person...I was in shock I was like this sounds like crap...How can people like it? and their prices are crazy!

Then you heard wrong! :p

The setups I've heard (and not the ones in best buy mind you) were great!

FerrariF50 16th January, 2002 05:02 PM

Quote:

Then you heard wrong! :p

The setups I've heard (and not the ones in best buy mind you) were great!

becides their bass is not as strong as I thought..

mrpcman 16th January, 2002 08:19 PM

I still love my Herc XP gamer. :p

FerrariF50 16th January, 2002 11:55 PM

I still have my Hec. Forssmio II sound card....It's allright but it's kinda crappy with their Windows Xp drivers...My mini Disc never stoped rec. when I switch it over to sync rec. When i hook it up to the opical cable..I'm going to try the Sound Blaster Next...Besides it has Midi cable plugs on the front.. Just what I need for my Music keyboard.

mrpcman 17th January, 2002 01:29 AM

hmm. the XP drivers with my xp gamer work great for me.