AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Sound Skipping Probls. Also Dolby Digitial Problems (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2409)

Spode 19th January, 2002 03:05 PM

Sound Skipping Probls. Also Dolby Digitial Problems

Okay. I'm just a tiny bit annoyed.

I've put up with it for a long time now, sound skipping. And I always blamed it on a poor sound card. Yet doing just the simplest things my mp3's skip.

I have tried installing windows with no ACPI and it has made no difference at all.

I have bought a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Digital and it makes no difference. Also no difference with Aureal Vortex 2. I just bought some Cambridge Works DTT3500 speakers with dolby digital and things just aren't going right with them at the momment.

I am not a happy bunny.

And I can't even go back to windows 2000! ARGH!

surlyjoe 19th January, 2002 04:12 PM

Re: Sound Skipping Probls. Also Dolby Digitial Problems

Quote:

Originally posted by Spode
Okay. I'm just a tiny bit annoyed.

I've put up with it for a long time now, sound skipping. And I always blamed it on a poor sound card. Yet doing just the simplest things my mp3's skip.

I have tried installing windows with no ACPI and it has made no difference at all.

I have bought a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Digital and it makes no difference. Also no difference with Aureal Vortex 2. I just bought some Cambridge Works DTT3500 speakers with dolby digital and things just aren't going right with them at the momment.

I am not a happy bunny.

And I can't even go back to windows 2000! ARGH!

sounds like maybe youve got a service running that is interupting it. I assume it does it with any player? have U tried in safe mode?

Spode 19th January, 2002 06:45 PM

WOOT!

Sorted out the skipping. It turned out to be the Highpoint Controller FOr the harddrive.

The computers never been so stable! And i'm glad I finally got rid of ACPI.

Now it's trying to sort out the sound.

I have the DTT3500 5.1 surround system. And a SB Live! Digital Card.

If I use the analog in as in, front and rear output (4 speaker) I can get the front and rear speakers. If I use digital output I just get front left and right. No center speaker.

Anyone got any advice? Someone must have done this sort of thing before. So any help/advice would be good.

Aedan 19th January, 2002 07:56 PM

As far as I can see, to get 5.1 audio (Not AC3!) from the Live 5.1 to the DTT3500, you need to have the "digital DIN" cable to get all 5.1 channels across to the DTT3500...

Using the SPDIF, you'll get two channels, as the Live doesn't have an onboard AC3 encoder. Using analog, you'll get four channels...

I did find some interesting stuff out though.. (: I'll post it elsewhere though.

AidanII

Spode 20th January, 2002 10:13 PM

Right. I'm using the digital out on the card which then goes to a DIN adapter and uses the din in on the thing.

kat 22nd January, 2002 02:03 AM

i have a silver bullet 56x that makes a clicking /skip noise/sound blaster 5.1 but if i switch to my 50x cd rom it goes away:D

Spode 22nd January, 2002 08:34 AM

Right. Sound skipping problem sorted.

AND the Dolby Digital. There is an option in the Speaker Control Panel "Decode AC3?" obviously my amp does that, so I don't want the computer to decode it before my amp gets the chance - that let me have dolby digital from DVD's

For normal playback, the amp has a Dolby ProLogic - prologic of course can be made from any stereo signal. So it takes my mp3's for instance, sticks the lead singer in the center channel, instruments on the other 4.

All in all, Im pleased, Just gotta get em mounted on my mwall now!