AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   The Voodoo Machine (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24655)

dolanenwindrift 28th May, 2004 11:21 PM

The Voodoo Machine

As some of you may know, I recently acquired a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP video card from Robbie, and have built a 'Classic' gaming machine with the card at it's heart. Below are the mostly complete machine specs:

AMD K6-2 500 processor 100mhz FSB
Diamond Micronics C200 SUper Socket 7 Motherboard
256 MB SDRAM
3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 64MB AGP video card
Adaptec 2940 W/UW SCSI card
2 Seagate 4.3 GB Ultarwide SCSI hard drives
2X2X24X Smart & Friendly CD Writer
Soundblaster AWE64 Gold sound card
Windows 98 SE
Voodoolizer 1.05 drivers

Supposedly these drivers are Directx 9 compatible - I'll be testing that theory as soon as I get some free time. So far I have been able to run a mess of old DOS games that act up under XP, and have been able to load and play the entire Wing Commander Collection. I also managed to run Sum of All Fears, which is a DX8 based game as far as I know (it's a dumbed down movie-license version of Ghost Recon). Should be interesting to see what I can do with the machine.

piccoLEW 29th May, 2004 12:21 AM

Can you try out Command and Conquer renegade? cos wheni was usin a voodoo 5500 i had problems playing renegade.

the computer i had the 5500 on, i don thave anymore. so i cant try it myself. :/

what about far cry? try it out on that :D

robbie 29th May, 2004 01:45 AM

How did those games work out that I sent you?
Rob

dolanenwindrift 29th May, 2004 04:56 AM

Robbie - Was able to play most all of them. I especially enjoyed firing up Tomb Raider, although the graphics were nowhere as good as I remembered. Guess sometimes the memory is better than reality :)

piccoLEW - will try Renegade this week. As for far cry, that 500mhz machine probably would't run it even with an X800 installed :)

dolanenwindrift 29th May, 2004 05:11 AM

Ok, got a question about the SB Live! cards - as I recall there was emulation for DOS sound (SB16). Does that emulation work if I actually boot the machine into DOS?Thinking of adding a 2 GB Hard disc just for DOS stuff, making the box multi-boot.

robbie 29th May, 2004 09:15 AM

If I remember correctly, yeah a SB should work just fine.
Rob

dolanenwindrift 30th May, 2004 02:53 PM

piccoLEW - While I was able to run Renegade, there were major issues with the graphics. CLipping, missing textures, etc. Tonight I will play around with the driver settings and see if I can correct the problem.

Kaitain 30th May, 2004 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piccoLEW
Can you try out Command and Conquer renegade? cos wheni was usin a voodoo 5500 i had problems playing renegade.

the computer i had the 5500 on, i don thave anymore. so i cant try it myself. :/

what about far cry? try it out on that :D

Funny you should mention that... I've just discovered a Voodoo 5000 in my electronics graveyard I have no use for (the 5000 is the 5500 without TVO)

piccoLEW 30th May, 2004 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
my 5500 only has the 'monitor hole' nothing else. So no TV-Out

I dont know why gfx cards come with a tv-out or a s-video connection :| I got a tv, vcr, cable box, dvd player if i want to watch tv or watch films, i'd rather watch them on my tv. Any extra activity on my computer means less processing power for folding

robbie 30th May, 2004 06:45 PM

Quote:

my 5500 only has the 'monitor hole' nothing else. So no TV-Out

I dont know why gfx cards come with a tv-out or a s-video connection :| I got a tv, vcr, cable box, dvd player if i want to watch tv or watch films, i'd rather watch them on my tv. Any extra activity on my computer means less processing power for folding

I'd like to build a shuttle box that will play DVD's in my girls room and use some type of wireless thing that I attach to my computer to there TV. I'm sure they got something at Radio Shack that will work don't they?
Rob

Gizmo 30th May, 2004 09:02 PM

Yeah, I believe they've got a box that will convert 640x480 to NTSC.

Kaitain 30th May, 2004 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie
I'd like to build a shuttle box that will play DVD's in my girls room and use some type of wireless thing that I attach to my computer to there TV. I'm sure they got something at Radio Shack that will work don't they?
Rob

Why not just use a VIA Eden for the job? The 800MHz version's fast enough to decode DVDs pretty smoothly, and some of them have TV out built in, plus a couple of PCI slots for a w-lan card. Much cheaper all round than the shuttle units.

Staz 30th May, 2004 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaitain
Why not just use a VIA Eden for the job? The 800MHz version's fast enough to decode DVDs pretty smoothly, and some of them have TV out built in, plus a couple of PCI slots for a w-lan card. Much cheaper all round than the shuttle units.

I built one of those for a grandma friend. Not only does it have a TV out but it will boot and display a TV signal with no need for a monitor. It only has one PCI slot if I remember corectly, but it has onboard LAN and video and sound and processor. THey have no floppy connector. All you need is RAM and an HDD and PSU and you are up and running.

dolanenwindrift 31st May, 2004 04:13 AM

Radio Shack also sells a device that takes VGA and converts it for component video - thus allowing higher resolutions and a much better display quality with text. Obviously you need a TV that had component video inputs. If I remember correctly the converter is $99 US.

robbie 31st May, 2004 04:25 AM

Quote:

Link??
Rob

Staz 31st May, 2004 05:14 AM

check out www.mini-itx.com

robbie 3rd July, 2004 10:38 PM

Thanks for the link Staz.
Any updates to the voodoo box?!?!?
Rob

dolanenwindrift 3rd July, 2004 11:54 PM

Voodoo stuff

No updates at the moment, other than that I am having to scrounge some new hard drives. Had three SCSI drives, 2 failed so far :P . I did complete a dual power supply mod, but work has kept me tied up for the last several weeks.

Aedan 4th July, 2004 12:16 AM

Quote:

I dont know why gfx cards come with a tv-out or a s-video connection :| I got a tv, vcr, cable box, dvd player if i want to watch tv or watch films, i'd rather watch them on my tv.

Some of us have DVR solutions based around digital TV tuners and a PC. Take a look at MythTV for example. My system is based around a single shuttle, although MythTV supports multiple 'frontends' that can stream from a single 'backend'. Put more than one tuner in a backend, and it can record multiple programs at the same time!

Aedan 4th July, 2004 12:18 AM

Quote:

Why not just use a VIA Eden for the job? The 800MHz version's fast enough to decode DVDs pretty smoothly, and some of them have TV out built in

Actually, there's a number of Eden boards that have an MPEG2 decoder in hardware, so the CPU doesn't have to do very much to decode the MPEG2 stream!