AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   What card part two (fast response would be fantastic!!!) (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25505)

Daston 19th July, 2004 12:37 PM

What card part two (fast response would be fantastic!!!)

Help!! I'm totaly confused and need your guidance I have decided to get either a Raidon X800 or the Geforce 6800 GT but I don’t know which one I am going to order one this afternoon so quick help would be sweet!

Cheers

Allan 19th July, 2004 02:14 PM

I would get the Radeon I think, but both cards should perform well. What CPU are you going to use it with?

The 6800 will draw huge amounts of power from your PSU.

Aedan 19th July, 2004 02:44 PM

Both have fairly heavy draw on the PSU. It's pretty difficult to choose between the them right now, but in 6months time, it may be a different story.

karbon86 19th July, 2004 03:12 PM

I'm a big ATI fan but i would go with the 6800GT just for the fact it has 16 piplines over the 12? on the pro. So i would think with a nice overclock the GT would perform better but the GT is alot bigger card and more power consuming than the x800 pro (less heat).

Daston 20th July, 2004 07:51 AM

Im running an AMD 2400XP (the 2.0 Ghz one) and 1Gb of RAM at the mo.

_MID_Viking 22nd July, 2004 05:10 PM

yes is true x800 pro has only 12 pipline but x 800 xt has 16 pipeline :)
im not a fan of any of them i go whit the best :)
but i heard that Nvidia fan makes alot noise dunno if thats true
so fell free to corect me and pless do cos im about to get a HIS X800 XT when it get to denmark :(

XeroHouR 22nd July, 2004 09:47 PM

consider that the x800 dumps about 20oC more or so into your system, be it water or air. Can you afford to add this much? If so then sure go with ATi, with a mega fast processor the ATi recently closed the gap on the 6800. Odds are you're not packing a 3800 A64 though. Video cards are so fast now they are being held back by the processors. I'd go with the 6800GT myself, as the overclock on it is very comfortable on stock air running AROUND what the Ultra runs at, good deal IMO. I can't wait till they come down a bit and I can drop a waterblock/pelt on it andd see where i can get it :).

Pitch 22nd July, 2004 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XeroHouR
consider that the x800 dumps about 20oC more or so into your system, be it water or air. Can you afford to add this much? If so then sure go with ATi, with a mega fast processor the ATi recently closed the gap on the 6800. Odds are you're not packing a 3800 A64 though. Video cards are so fast now they are being held back by the processors. I'd go with the 6800GT myself, as the overclock on it is very comfortable on stock air running AROUND what the Ultra runs at, good deal IMO. I can't wait till they come down a bit and I can drop a waterblock/pelt on it andd see where i can get it :).

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

The X800 runs far cooler. Plus the pro will flash into a XT

XeroHouR 22nd July, 2004 10:22 PM

go read the reviews, the x800 runs in the 70's load and the 6800 runs in the 50's. search for the reviews, i think its toms, maybe its somewhere else, but its much warmer mostly because its on the same technology as the 9xxx series, but pushed further.

*edit*
here ya go actually
http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/135/4/

Pitch 22nd July, 2004 11:20 PM

This is 6800gt, not Ultra.

I missunderstood, I thought yo were talking about the 6800U

Mikey 23rd July, 2004 03:04 PM

Personally id go with the GT as it's basically an underclocked ultra and it's already been said that these cards OC easily on stock cooling. I also read this article and it shows just how much the X800 pro is wounded by the loss of the extra 4 pipe lines when playing Doom 3. Now if your going to be playing Doom 3 when it comes out then its probably quite a clear decision, as the new generation of Nvidia cards are made to play Doom 3. However the X800's are still very very fast, so which ever card you go for you will see some kickass performance!!

Pitch 23rd July, 2004 10:23 PM

I've got a x800 pro to play with soon, I'l unlock the rest of the pipeline and give it a whirl.

cadaveca 24th July, 2004 07:22 AM

i personally at the moment would go with the 6800...but i play lots of OGL games.
radeons still excel with antistropic filtering and antialiasing @ high resolutions.
nvidia minimum psu rated power for the 6800 is 450w...and you need 2 molex connectors, or on some card there is one molex, one floppy.
in sept gigabyte will launch their 6800U, with a smaller heatsink than stock, with a heatpipe, and lower temps to go with it. As well, they are going for a single 12v molex connector, but i haven't confirmed that yet.
really tho...you aren't gonna need such a powerful card unless you want bragging rights...at least for another year or so. And by then, pci-x will be the standard, and you'll wanna upgrade again.
I had my greasy palms on a 6800U in the box...and put it back down. I'll wait for AMD64 939 with pci-x before doing any more purchases.

XeroHouR 24th July, 2004 07:28 AM

have you all looked into PCI-Ex and SLi? You thought it was over, you thought buying a 6800U was enough, Try piggy-backing them like in the old days! only now its more than 180% gain from doing it. Back when it was like 120% or something(perfomance gain...) Should be interesting to see the kinds of scores and power this thing puts out in the face of D3 and HL2!

cadaveca 24th July, 2004 07:52 AM

the only problem..do you have to be able to overclock the vidcards to the same speed? or can they be different?
i'm waiting for otherpeople to find the quirks!lol

_MID_Viking 24th July, 2004 04:57 PM

heres the card im getting when it comes to denmark http://www.hisdigital.com/html/x800xt_iceqii.htm

danrok 24th July, 2004 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _MID_Viking
heres the card im getting when it comes to denmark http://www.hisdigital.com/html/x800xt_iceqii.htm

The exhaust fan on that card is probably a good idea, with a 520Mhz clock speed. Hopefully it won't be noisey.

_MID_Viking 24th July, 2004 06:23 PM

yea and when im done whit my first case mod ever it well have 2x120mm fans on the side bloving onto ram and videocard :) and another 2 120mm fans to blow the hot air out of the case