AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   soundblaster 2 zs problems (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25718)

graftonater 29th July, 2004 10:31 PM

soundblaster 2 zs problems

i have just replaced by old soundblaster live with this card i have uninstalled all old drivers and also got most recent driver update, and disabled onboard sound on abit nfs7 v2, but every now and gaain when playing games i get random tiny crackling in my music, could it be because i am running a high fsb of 194?? (i have a 2100 xp processor)

danrok 29th July, 2004 11:00 PM

I had the same problem when I upgraded to the same card as yours. In fact I think I see this problem everytime I upgrade sound.

The trouble is that there's a number of possible causes for this kind of thing. Sometimes it isn't directly sound related. Have you tried running the game at low graphics settings?

If you have the EAX control panel installed make sure you have any special effects disabled.

danrok 29th July, 2004 11:02 PM

Also, if any of the games have a compatiblity setting for sound - enable it.

graftonater 29th July, 2004 11:07 PM

tru i have tried doing that but sadly it happens sometimes when games arnt even playing just when i am playing music in music match in windows

danrok 29th July, 2004 11:22 PM

One thing I did was to use the 'Rollback Driver' in the control panel. I kept rolling it back until there was no sound driver at all, then installed the driver. I can't remember if this helped because it was a while ago.

Double check that all your speaker jack connections are good. A loose connection can cause this and it is easily overlooked.

graftonater 31st July, 2004 12:38 AM

found how to rollback drivers but woudlnt allow me so instead uninstalled completely, still the same problem how likely is it thats its the fsb?? or the card??

cadaveca 31st July, 2004 05:12 AM

by any chance do you have the cable from either your dvd or cd plugged into the card?

graftonater 31st July, 2004 11:25 AM

nope dont have any of those plugged in at all

danrok 31st July, 2004 11:44 AM

Have you tried connecting headphones with the speakers disconnected?

graftonater 31st July, 2004 03:31 PM

nope havnt tried that......i have noticed a very strange thing now tho....this blips only seem to appear in music match :S does anyopne know why this might be??

EDIT: ok have found out that only usic match causes this problem, only thing is that media player sucks for sound quality any1 got any recommendationas for a nother programme thats as good as msuic match for sound quality

cadaveca 31st July, 2004 06:12 PM

if musicmatch causes static,chance are your gain is too high.crank up the volume...does it get worse?media player works real well IF YOU RE_INSTALL THE CODECS AFTER IT"S INSTALLED.

graftonater 31st July, 2004 06:16 PM

erm crank up volume on amp or on computer???

danrok 31st July, 2004 06:17 PM

WinAmp is a good popular media player.

graftonater 31st July, 2004 06:25 PM

well got winzmp and is mch better but keeps having like tiny cutouts in sound like simar to as if i was playing scratched cd god surely there is soluition to this :'(

danrok 31st July, 2004 06:54 PM

Have you run any tests on other parts of your system? Like cpu, memory and power. It may be that fitting this new card has exposed a problem which was already there, but not apparent.

cadaveca 31st July, 2004 09:05 PM

i meant crank the volume up on amp....turning the volume above half on my system causes static if i use my analogue outputs.
if the music is pausing, it's morethan like becuase some other process that is running on your system has higher priority on your player. Folding while playing tunes can cause this as well, but usually not very frequent for me. i'd check your task manager while playing tunes as well.

graftonater 31st July, 2004 11:42 PM

well i tried turning up volume on amp and dow on system still no luck tho :( also tried closing all background tasks and putting music match on higher priority, still clicks tho...not static jst kinda clicks where msuic will stop for like1/10th of a sec.......and still doesnt happen with mediaplayer which is well wierd....wtf can it be that it only effects musicmatch and sumtimes winamp??

piccoLEW 6th August, 2004 04:23 AM

maybe theres a piece of spyware on your computer that attempts to record anything on your computer ¬_¬ the RIAA are seeing if you are listening to downloaded music maybe? :eek: </paranoia>

what version of winamp are you using, cos i had major sound problems playing mp3s with windows media player.. i am starting to think its a deliberate move by m$ ¬¬ i use winamp 2 http://classic.winamp.com. it could also be a faulty soundcard. Maybe you should report this problem to creative? altho like every company they will blame everything else before they will send you a refund or a replacement.. altho if its new it should be under manufacturers garauntee (sp?) or at least a shop warranty?

fantomfreq 6th August, 2004 05:52 AM

I personally like iTunes, but it's not for everyone. It doesn't offer as much freedom as other music players but for my uses the ripper and player are superb. Plus, it's free. You mine as well give it a shot and see if you still have problems with your music. What have you got to lose using an apple product? (don't answer that question.)

piccoLEW 6th August, 2004 03:54 PM

dignity ¬¬ :p

j/k

dbpoweramp is good for ripping my cds into mp3, and not only is it free i think its open source as well :)

and winamp is free to download.

graftonater 6th August, 2004 10:02 PM

I still have receiep[t i willporb take it back i did contact creative but rthey cldnt fix it

graftonater 24th August, 2004 11:22 AM

ah finally fixed it after weeks and weeks of trying seems like it was caused by a conflict between it and my on board soundstorm on ABIT MB.....how did i find this out?? when flashing my BIOS i corrupted the onboard drivers (somehow??!!) and they failed to load with windows fixing all my problems!!! lolol

danrok 24th August, 2004 05:56 PM

Glad you got it going in the end!

Pitch 25th August, 2004 05:27 AM

I had endless problems with my Audigy. I put in the product number and it selected to most up to date drivers, which turned out to be the completly wrong ones. That was very creative (Get the pun? :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: ) - I'm sorry It's late.