AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Geforce 6800NU (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28887)

GrahamGarside 13th January, 2005 04:33 AM

Geforce 6800NU

I've got a 6800 none ultra due this week, am I right in assuming riva tuner is thebest way to unlock the 4 hidden pixel pipelines? I heard that if you try flashing the bios the drivers still detect what card it really is because of a resistor configuration and I don't want to tamper with the hardware.
Do the omega drivers have the ability to unloc them like they do for radeon 9500/9800SE cards or are there any other drivers that do?

thanks

Chernobyl 13th January, 2005 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
I've got a 6800 none ultra due this week, am I right in assuming riva tuner is thebest way to unlock the 4 hidden pixel pipelines? I heard that if you try flashing the bios the drivers still detect what card it really is because of a resistor configuration and I don't want to tamper with the hardware.
Do the omega drivers have the ability to unloc them like they do for radeon 9500/9800SE cards or are there any other drivers that do?

thanks

Rivatuner is an excellent tool for unlocking the pipelines.
Give it a go :)

GrahamGarside 13th January, 2005 09:34 PM

yeah I've been reading up on it and it and I think I'm sorted for how to do it.

woodeirl 16th January, 2005 05:54 PM

im sure your happy now with that new card buddy , and good luck with unlocking the pipelines :)

im sure you`ll achieve it with no problems

GrahamGarside 16th January, 2005 11:11 PM

well they seem to be faulty. theres no snowy pixels or missing triangles or anything like that but theres kind of a tint on the screen, kind of like a pink haze, I've seen some people giving advice that extra voltage can help (the gt runs at a higher voltage than the NU) but I'm dubious of this I might try it anyway and put it back if it doesn't. I don't know first my 9800SE wouldn't unlock now my 6800, some people get all the luck :)

Lazgoat 17th January, 2005 12:09 AM

Try, try, try! Give it more juice, whats the worst that could happen? :)

GrahamGarside 17th January, 2005 01:45 AM

kablam! :)

GrahamGarside 17th January, 2005 01:47 AM

gotta work out how to do it first, from what I've read I use nvflash to dump the bios, then nibitorv to change the default voltage settings then reflash with nvflash, but I'm not sure which version of nvflash is best to use, I've seen differant recomendations, plus I'm not 100% on what flags to use with it when flashing, don't suppose anyone here has done any 6800 flashing/volt modding?

Chernobyl 17th January, 2005 02:15 AM

Quote:

gotta work out how to do it first, from what I've read I use nvflash to dump the bios, then nibitorv to change the default voltage settings then reflash with nvflash, but I'm not sure which version of nvflash is best to use, I've seen differant recomendations, plus I'm not 100% on what flags to use with it when flashing, don't suppose anyone here has done any 6800 flashing/volt modding?

I use nvflash442 while still in Windows!
You can use it from Windows cmd or create a shortcut to nvflash442.exe and put the parameters in it.
Get it here:
http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?opt...r&filecatid=42

I made a file flash.bat containing:
nvflash442.exe -f %1 -p -u -2
@ echo .
@ pause

Then create a shortcut called Flashme with the following:
flash.bat BIOS.rom
Change BIOS.rom to whatever the ROM is. It must be a 8.3 file name.

Double click the shortcut to flash your card. When its finished it pauses so you can see the result. The window closes when you press a key.

I've done over 10 flashes so far in Windows and it seems trustworthy.
As it uses 100% CPU, close all programs and make sure your system has finished booting (I've seen long pauses in the boot process on some machines, even after the desktop appears).

I understand if you prefer DOS ;)

Chernobyl

ps
To backup your current rom to saved.rom, use the following
nvflash442.exe -b saved.rom

woodeirl 17th January, 2005 02:17 AM

putting more volts in there will more than likley shorten the life of many components on the PCB.....

just a taught

GrahamGarside 17th January, 2005 02:40 AM

I've heard many people warning about this, in spite of core/ram cooling the electrical components can be a problem. I'm willing to give it a chance though.
and nvflash won't work in windows for me, do you mean win9x/me?

GrahamGarside 17th January, 2005 03:12 AM

well I did the voltage mod, 1.4v and rivatuner now reports vid 2 as opposed to 1 just about to try the softmod again

GrahamGarside 17th January, 2005 03:18 AM

nope :( same problem though it doesn't seem as severe, booo!

Pitch 17th January, 2005 03:33 AM

I guess it just needs some gentle persuasion

XeroHouR 18th January, 2005 12:37 AM

use 4 stairs, not the whole flight.

GrahamGarside 18th January, 2005 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XeroHouR
use 4 stairs, not the whole flight.

I hope I'm not alone here in saying...

Eh?

Chernobyl 18th January, 2005 12:59 AM

hehe. it could mean many things depending on your own perspective.
Why climb the whole flight if 4 stairs will get you where you want :)

Chernobyl 18th January, 2005 01:03 AM

Quote:

nope :( same problem though it doesn't seem as severe, booo!

Sorry you havent had success with your card. Perhaps you will be able to swap it out later when building a machine for a friend (of course give them a small discount!).
If you get a chance to try an NV5 or some other cooler, let us know. I'm eager to hear if it can help.

Lazgoat 18th January, 2005 01:20 AM

Hey Graham, what is this card like compared to your R9800SE AIW? Where did you get it from?

GrahamGarside 18th January, 2005 02:21 AM

oh it's ten times better than the 9800SE (well 3 maybe) got it from overclock.co.uk
but I do miss the ati's video capabilities, divX uses around 30% cpu time now compared with about 10% before and doesn't look as good. Playing Farcry on very high at 1280x1024 compared with playing it around medium with some high settings at 800x600 makes it all worth it though :) and unreal tournament looks...unreal :)

And it's funny you should mention that Chernobyl because that's exactly what I have on it :) It does kep it cool, running off the cards fan line it idles at 44-45C and on full load it reaches 55C
running off 5V it idles at 48C and full load reaches 58-60C and it can't be heard over the psu fan, though it's not quite silent, bringing it down to 3-4V should do it