AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Budget Graphic Card? (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48815)

alicefred 8th April, 2010 11:29 AM

Budget Graphic Card?

I am building my first computer and wondering what the best graphic card is and where I can get it at lowest prices. Well, I gonna use my computer for playing games, watching movies and some short of graphic jobs. Last night I searched online for awhile and found various graphic cards are available at dealrocker.com and nextag.com with good discounts. Can anyone recommend me the best graphic card that fulfills my requirements?

Thanks..

danrok 8th April, 2010 03:25 PM

What type of slot does your PC have for a video card?

Couple of cheap cards here, both PCI Express 2.0:
Newegg.com - MSI N8400GS-D256H GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

What do you mean by "graphics jobs"? What software do you use for that?

cloasters 20th April, 2010 08:52 PM

Welcome to AOA's Forums, alicefred!
Any further cogitation about a new Vidcard?

MUff1N 21st April, 2010 05:34 PM

I've seen this sooooooooooooooo many times now!
Drive-by postings...
A new person will come in to the forums for just 1 question [post] & never come back again, not even to reply. :rolleyes:

So I doubt we'll ever see this person again... ;)

weldzilla 26th April, 2010 02:41 AM

So he don't come back... Thats ok here is a quick answer to his question.
The little Nvidia 250 gts. This card runs between $90 and $125. I put one one in a guest computer. It runs a Q6600 mated with 2gb G.Skill 6400HZ
All residing on a Asus P5K-e Wifi board. It is just an air-coooled guest machine that runs like a top at 3400mhz Daily clock. It plays COD just brilliantly and this little card folds like a Mad Banshee!!. It has been a terrific addition to this system. So there you have it a very good card for a reasonable price.

Good luck and let us know just what it is you are building....

WZ

Daniel ~ 26th April, 2010 06:35 PM

"So he don't come back... "

Just glad you have! Great to see ya WeldZilla!

weldzilla 27th April, 2010 03:50 AM

Thanks Daniel, You bet got to answer the question in case someone else comes along wanting some info

bonesaw 3rd May, 2010 08:02 AM

i hate drive by posters

Daniel ~ 3rd May, 2010 07:15 PM

If they weren't driving by we hardly have any traffic at all! ":O}

bonesaw 3rd May, 2010 11:15 PM

there are always guest online. i have the same problem on my site people register only to completely forget about the site.

MUff1N 4th May, 2010 09:23 PM

And then you have the opposite like me.... :p
Drove by only to end up staying here for years....LOL!!! :rolling:

Yea I see that all to often here...they come & go without so much
as an acknowledgment to the reply of their question...
But as Dan said, at least they do come by if only once. ;)

booman 19th May, 2010 12:48 AM

Even if he doesn't come back....
I purchased a ZOTAC 9800 GT for $96.97 off newegg.com
It seems to run most of my games - Quake Wars, Unreal Tournament 3, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and more....
AND, it doesn't require an extra 6-pin power connector, just runs right from the PCI-Express slot

LP 19th May, 2010 10:44 AM

I'm happy for your input in this thread. I'm planning on building a new tower in a few months.

booman 19th May, 2010 04:46 PM

Hey, see... drive-by-posters aren't so bad because we gibber-jabber about computers and then someone else benefits from our random knowledge

weldzilla 25th May, 2010 12:26 AM

Exactly, this gives us a chance to throw a little wisdom in the air and you just never know where its going to land.... Sometimes right in the lap of someone who needs it!!

Now here is something for the budget minded to remember. Right now with the advent of the 4xx cards from Nvidia as well as the new 5XXX cards from ATI. There are some terrific deals to be had off Ebay as well as the for sale sections of other forums.

This 285GTX I am running was over $ 400 a short while ago. I just got it for $172.50 off Ebay!! It is beyond my expectations no matter what I play. But for me it is it's folding prowess that is mind boggling!! It is eqalling all my other folders combined!! Among the others are a 260GTX a 8800ultra and a 8800GTX.

I know a guy over @ Xtreme systems who is selling a brand new 275GTX for $170 shipped another with 2 of them.
So budget minded does not mean you have to settle for budget powered. Shop and if you kind find a used mega card you can afford I say as long as their heat-ware is high and their seller rating is right at 100% or at least 98.5% then go get the more power!!

Then dazzle us not only with benches but with your machines new found folding prowess. I promise you we will all ooh and aw at your build

WZ

booman 25th May, 2010 01:09 AM

What? Other forums?
Please tell me you aren't tempted to cheat on AOA...:)

weldzilla 25th May, 2010 03:06 AM

Uh booman I belong to Dev hardware forums, 3d gameman forums, Evga forums. Bit-tech forums, Overclockers Club forums, Forums on the Bleedinedge,OverClockers forums, Hard forums, 20 seconds to poop forum,
And the most Computer knowledgeable forum Ever, Xtremesystems. Oh yes I also belong to Taurus gun owner forums as well as a few other firearms forums and a classic boat restoring forum. And Suzuki SX4 owners forum. And a few more that I have forgotten I am sure

dsio 25th May, 2010 05:36 AM

You are into classic boat restorations? Should show you what the snakes are living inside in our back yard.

weldzilla 25th May, 2010 07:36 AM

My thing is old Starcraft Aluminum boats. hey you know me enough to know I am a metals guy. Well I recently picked up a 1968 Starcraft
Starchief 18ft. with a loa of 19'8" I just fell in love with it at first sight.
It is in dire need of a complete gutting and overhaul. Right up my alley!!

dsio 25th May, 2010 09:14 AM

Ahk, we're the opposite end. Modern remakes of vintage wooden boats.