AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   What is the Next Big thing? (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=616)

SJAXKINGPIN 6th November, 2001 04:39 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AidanII

Yeah, the pixel shimmering is one thing I really hate about LCD monitors using an analog input. I don't know if it's clock jitter from the LCD or clock jitter from the Graphics card or both, but it's really annoying. Using a digital interface instead corrects this problem! Alas, you then have to have a gfx card that has digital out as well.

I'd love to have the deskspace, but I don't think it's worth the restrictions of an LCD monitor... (;

AidanII
[/QUOTE

I read something in Sci. AM. or something like that a long time ago about a product called ThinCRT. It was supposed to offer a flat wide view angle like CRT's, but not be stuck w/ the color sat. issues, native res, etc. Has anybody heard anything about this tech recently.

SJAXKINGPIN 6th November, 2001 04:41 AM

OK, I got myself interested in doing some research. I guess it's still alive and they now say it should hit desktops in 18-24 months. (that reminds me of Duke Nukem Forever)

Pretty cool, check out the press-type page:
http://www.cuttingtheedge.com/qtakes...T/thinCRT.shtm

This is my bet for the NEXT big thang!

Kris 9th November, 2001 08:22 PM

IMHO, the downside to CRTs has always been the radiation... ever read the recommended viewing distance in a CRT monitor's manual?? I, like many of my friends sit way to close and huddled over my 19 & 21"monitor...

LCD doesn't share that same problem & health risk... but it is a developing technology... in the mid-80s I owned what I believe was the first commercially available laptop model--NEC Multispeed (4, 8 or 16MHz.. LOL)... Let me tell you, in 16 years LCDs have changed a bunch from that small, monochrome, "front-lit," worhtless piece of screen I had... & I believe they will do nothing but improve as price continues to comes down and performance increases...

Thin CRT may give LCD the competition it needs to rise to the next level--then I will forego my "radiation-blasters" and hopefully make it out without cancer, retinal burn or other permanent CRT damage... ;)

286 Rocks 24th November, 2001 10:32 PM

Quote:

no more mouse...computer HOOKED UP TO THE BRAIN!!!!!!

I would have one mighty slow mouse:D

Phil 25th November, 2001 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by cloasters
An entirely new design that makes sense is a good idea. PC's simply don't make sense. They are MUCH too hard to understand. People shouldn't need the equivalent of an AS degree to run a Windows PC. And another AS to build them your self. And a BS to be a good troubleshooter.

This basic design problem DOES make them interesting, and also keeps a LOT of folks employed. I dunno, hardware that's legacy compliant(to a degree) just screws everything up. A five year old should be able to operate a PC with no instruction.

As I'm not an EE, I get to bow out of the, "OK. Just HOW do we design this brand new PC, genius?" question. Whew!

We are doing so at the moment, such a revolutionary change doesn't just happen, the way pc's are marketed and designed means that they will always have some form of legacy devices, and software is getting easier to use, but the easier to use it is the more complex it is and so to truly understand it you still need to spend time at it.
As for a 5 year old should be able to operate a pc without instruction, well what does a 5 year old really need to do on a pc?
use a paint package, well you can stick an icon on the desktop that they can just click to open that for them, play educational games? well just putting the cd in the pc auto runs them and then they have a simple interface that the child can use.
My 6 year old neice uses my pc fine, she knows the power button turns it on, and she knows to click her name on the user log ing screen, and then any programs she uses are single click icons on the desktop and she knows how to put her game cd's in, that sounds very straight forward to me.
You don't need to be a genius to understand pc's, you just have to believe that you don't need to be, sitting there thinking they are really complex and that you don't understand them will keep it that way, thats how my parents are and they haven't learned anything other than installing programs and running them. You need to be pro-active in learning how they work and you soon discover how simple the really are.

CNUCompGuy 7th December, 2001 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kaitain
Why stop at LCD?

Why not go the whole hog and have a wall-sized gas-plasma setup? Prices of those are falling pretty quickly as well (just looking at the one on the other side of the office - 60", schweet!)

Now that's what I'm talkin bout....I would love to have the 60" plasma screen as my computer screen....we have one at work for our presentations and it's awesome....it has connections for everything except for a pizza maker, lol ;) Maybe that'll come one day, too, lol, j/k....I think that the board connections comin in the near future will fix all of these bottle-necking issues--ex. SerialATA and PCI-X I believe they r called....also, there is a new graphics connection comin out in 2002 if I remember the date correctly....it's supposed to have a speed about 20x faster than AGP and a bandwidth possibility of more than a 1000x greater than AGP....that'll be nice to see, I just hope that graphics board creators pick up on it quickly enough, cuz I don't feel like having a slot on my board that I don't use, lol....just like ISA....they r finally takin those off boards....took them long enough....PCI is next....they need to get rid of that and replace it with PCI-X since, if I'm not mistaken, it's compatible with regular PCI anyways, correct?? Oh well, just runnin off at the mouth....ttyl :D

martin 13th December, 2001 06:28 AM

alright....

1 Attachment(s)
I read in a video news mag about the 15 year anniversary of Pixar studios. They are the people that created Toy StoryI/II, Bug's Life and Monsters.Inc. and owned by Steve Jobs. The team leaders talked about doing something different, they included a video graphics designer during the designing and creating of the software that will be used in part to make the movie. This one guy interviewed, was saying how important it was to get from storyboards to images and scenes quickly to discuss any changes. I got the most amazing rush and a big smile crossed my face when the article mentioned he worked with a huge rendering farm of 3,500 processors... wow!

The future is- how can you move massive amounts of video data and display it on large, well lit, wall-mounted video screens. People want to see big and bold and beautiful. It's a must for all public access and commercial properties. So whoever can come up with the right scheme to have large bandwidth AND the processor power to deliver video data to it's maximum capacity, and then display it on say a 5' x 10' CRT or plasma thinscreens with the picture so lifelike....you could almost touch it!

I'm in heaven.....

Daniel ~ 13th December, 2001 08:27 AM

Say Martin, I'm please you found us and decided to join in, hope you find things to your liking!

loop 13th December, 2001 08:04 PM

I'm a performance over graphics guy, I like my games to never ever stutter under any circumstance, so if that means low resses then so be it.
My geforce2mx plays all the games I install and it doesnt stutter once I set the graphics down (my only complaint is the mouse lag I sometimes get).

Also thinking that at the moment its all very well being able to create millions of polygons, but who draws them??? someone has to take the time to draw and animate a face made of hundreds of polygons and animations (I know little about 3d animation so feel free to correct me). As far as I can see game development time will get longer and longer so that some of the graphics power can be used.

I think another big hold back is controls, games can only become so immersive with keyboard and mouse, its really annoying when in a game that has lots of controls you are having to search over your keyboard for the flame thrower. We need a way of making controls work with our brain. I know that is a long way off but it needs to happen otherwise games will get prettier but no more emmersive.

Some car design company that works for arrows (the F1 racing team) has a 170degree projector screen hooked up to a super computer, they downlaod satellite data of landscapes and use flight simulators on them, they also render cars in wind tunnels and in grassy parks.

My £500 there

martin 14th December, 2001 07:01 AM

Thanks..

Thank you Daniel for the welcome, I really like what you, Spode and the guys have done. It's great to see, I feel comfortable being here because there are so many familiar people in this forum.

Daniel ~ 14th December, 2001 07:08 AM

Re: Thanks..

Quote:

Originally posted by martin
Thank you Daniel for the welcome, I really like what you, Spode and the guys have done. It's great to see, I feel comfortable being here because there are so many familiar people in this forum.
Familiar faces? You think so? Now I wonder why that would be? LOL
Your right no friends like old friends! But new friends are the spice of life!!