AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hardware Hacking (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   -> Mod your 6800GS AGP to Ultra Extreme with coolermod! (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35737)

Deadman93723 25th June, 2006 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsio
Definitely a good idea. Did you find the threads with the volt modding guides?

No I didn't, but that is ok, I don't want to do any hardware mods while I am still under warranty. eVGA has loose rules for warranty, but they still frown on modding the circuit board.

dsio 25th June, 2006 10:31 PM

Its not an actual mod to the board as such. What you do is find a certain surface mount resistor. You lower the resistance of that resistor, while measuring, to get the desired volt mod.

To lower that resistance, you <could> use a soldered in variable resistor, but the best way, is to just use a 2B pencil, since its very mildly conductive. When done with it, you simply wipe the pencil trace off the top.

Deadman93723 26th June, 2006 12:38 AM

Quote:

Its not an actual mod to the board as such. What you do is find a certain surface mount resistor. You lower the resistance of that resistor, while measuring, to get the desired volt mod.

To lower that resistance, you <could> use a soldered in variable resistor, but the best way, is to just use a 2B pencil, since its very mildly conductive. When done with it, you simply wipe the pencil trace off the top.

Do you know where I can find a guide to do the pencil mod?

dsio 26th June, 2006 10:34 AM

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/graph...ghlight=pencil

Thats the previous thread on volt modding, with pictures for the pencil mod.

If you really do something serious with the cooling, and that mod, expect over 500Mhz on water cooling, and in some cases over 600Mhz. It really makes an absolutely massive difference, but that is with a very high volt mod and water.

A minor volt mod, running with stock, or good air cooling, will get you a nice little bump. I would advise doing something with your cooling first though.

1: You could try removing the stock heatsink, removing the thermal paste, and using a quality layer of arctic silver 5 to improve thermal conductivity.

2: You could lap and polish your stock HSF

3: You could try this coolermod (on the first page of this thread)

4: You could try a zalman cooler, as the NVsilencers are not the /best/ coolers anymore.

NarkotikBuzz 26th June, 2006 04:23 PM

I am having an interesting issue with my 6800le....i currently have it clocked 420/820, which it takes just fine, it will probably go much higher, but now, whenever i restart my computer, the memory reverts back to stock speeds, the core speed stays the same, just the memory changes, any idea why this is happening?

dsio 26th June, 2006 05:10 PM

What program are you using to set your overclock speeds?

Deadman93723 26th June, 2006 05:32 PM

Quote:

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/graph...ghlight=pencil

Thats the previous thread on volt modding, with pictures for the pencil mod.

If you really do something serious with the cooling, and that mod, expect over 500Mhz on water cooling, and in some cases over 600Mhz. It really makes an absolutely massive difference, but that is with a very high volt mod and water.

A minor volt mod, running with stock, or good air cooling, will get you a nice little bump. I would advise doing something with your cooling first though.

1: You could try removing the stock heatsink, removing the thermal paste, and using a quality layer of arctic silver 5 to improve thermal conductivity.

2: You could lap and polish your stock HSF

3: You could try this coolermod (on the first page of this thread)

4: You could try a zalman cooler, as the NVsilencers are not the /best/ coolers anymore.

I already have a NV silencer on the card with AS5, it doesn't go above 62c load and the AS5 hasn't even totally cured yet. Thanks for the link, I'll try it sometime soon.

NarkotikBuzz 26th June, 2006 06:48 PM

I am using the Winfast Speedrunner software that comes with the card, it works best i think, but after i set the clocks, i go into the regular "classic" control panel, make sure it reads the same speeds, then i click the box that says "set these speeds at startup", it gives me the OK, and everything is fine from there, until i restart, then the memory speed reverts. I am totally confused on this one. I have tried setting the clocks with the regular CP, but when i try it, it hardly lets me raise it at all, and it says the speeds fail the test, even though when i set it with winfast, the card runs just fine at the faster speeds, i dont get it.

Deadman93723 26th June, 2006 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NarkotikBuzz
I am using the Winfast Speedrunner software that comes with the card, it works best i think, but after i set the clocks, i go into the regular "classic" control panel, make sure it reads the same speeds, then i click the box that says "set these speeds at startup", it gives me the OK, and everything is fine from there, until i restart, then the memory speed reverts. I am totally confused on this one. I have tried setting the clocks with the regular CP, but when i try it, it hardly lets me raise it at all, and it says the speeds fail the test, even though when i set it with winfast, the card runs just fine at the faster speeds, i dont get it.

You should use either Coolbits 2 or Rivatuner, they work the best.

NarkotikBuzz 26th June, 2006 07:43 PM

I have solved the problem. All i had to do was set the 2D memory setting the same as the 3D, and it keeps all the settings the same after a restart. As of now i actually have the card clocked at 425/850 and i am pretty sure i can push it even further, as i am not getting any artifacts at all, and my temps still max out around 65-68. Later on i am gonna try pushing it a little more and really see what this card will do, i love this Leadtek.:D As far as OC software, i have tried them all, and for my card, the Winfast Speedrunner software works better than anything, and has allowed me much higher clocks than any other software.

mbataka 30th June, 2006 05:10 PM

Diablotel AGP 6800GS problem

Hi, all

I own Diablotek 6800GS 512, purchased from geeks.com.

This card from the beginning started giving some errors, its artfiacts on boot screen and after windows load flashing of lcd every 1sec. It might be factory faulty card, but its not happening in safe mode. After drivers load its beginning to happen. In the before bios Shows nvidia 6800GTS. (GTS???)

And in the bios editor it not says any manufacturer info and GPU info. ONLY SAYS 6800GS(BR02)

So i think our friends, chinese masters did some stupid bios mistake in this card. I can proceed RMA but before RMA i want to play little bit. So anyone have a same card and any similar problems?. If some one have a proper bios could post here for experiments?. Any advice and any directions in this problem?
Thanks guys.

I'll post asap some screen shoot related to this card. Sorry for bad english :)

=== The following is an automatically generated message ===

This is mbataka's first post. The Welcome thread is here. Please drop by the Welcome thread and give mbataka a warm AOA welcome there.

dsio 30th June, 2006 05:54 PM

When you uninstall your drivers, does it change / improve anything?

Also, starting in safe mode, does that make any changes?

Deadman93723 30th June, 2006 07:15 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting my eVGA 6800gs agp passed 415/1150.

dsio 30th June, 2006 07:19 PM

Are you using the 91.33 drivers? They seam to overclock better than previous versions.

Deadman93723 30th June, 2006 08:10 PM

Quote:

Are you using the 91.33 drivers? They seam to overclock better than previous versions.

I'm still using 84.21, I haven't tried 91.33, because I seem to have trouble with anything but the 84.21. This card is very moody.

mbataka 1st July, 2006 06:27 AM

Quote:

When you uninstall your drivers, does it change / improve anything?

Also, starting in safe mode, does that make any changes?

After uninstalling, same in the bios post, but in the windows everything fine.

In safe mode its mean not loading the drivers. then its fine. But without drivers its nouse right. i tryed almost every driver, all the same. In the bios edit it says: Core: 425MHZ Memory: 500MHZ , so i'm doubting its a NV42 Chip.

dsio 1st July, 2006 08:30 AM

What drivers were you using before you unistalled them mbataka?

And deadman, I would try the 91.33s, they're quite good. Grab the TRU modified ones while you're at it. They do seam to let you overclock a bit higher (91.33s in general)

NarkotikBuzz 1st July, 2006 11:57 AM

Dsio, i think you mean the 91.31's.....we just got the 91.33's yesterday, and there is not TRU modified version of them yet. I tried the new 91.33's and had a ton of problems, and they are BETA drivers. Please just try the 91.31 Xtreme-G modified drivers, they work very well, and overclock great.

Deadman93723 1st July, 2006 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NarkotikBuzz
Dsio, i think you mean the 91.31's.....we just got the 91.33's yesterday, and there is not TRU modified version of them yet. I tried the new 91.33's and had a ton of problems, and they are BETA drivers. Please just try the 91.31 Xtreme-G modified drivers, they work very well, and overclock great.

I'll give it a shot.

NarkotikBuzz 1st July, 2006 10:14 PM

Let us know if they work for you, i have had great success with this set.

Deadman93723 3rd July, 2006 02:12 AM

Well, I tried the Xtreme-G 91.31 and they have made no difference, they didn't help, they didn't hurt. I guess I'm stuck at 415/1150. Unless I do a volt mod, which I am not willing to put my card at that kind of risk.

dsio 3rd July, 2006 03:41 AM

Have you tried backing off on the ram completely, to stock speed, then overclocking the core alone as high as you can, then after that overclocking the ram?

Also, what are your voltages like?

Nvidia cards like a little overvolt on the AGP voltage, and also a higher than spec +12V rail.

Deadman93723 3rd July, 2006 04:55 AM

Quote:

Have you tried backing off on the ram completely, to stock speed, then overclocking the core alone as high as you can, then after that overclocking the ram?

Also, what are your voltages like?

Nvidia cards like a little overvolt on the AGP voltage, and also a higher than spec +12V rail.

By overvolt do you mean the AGP voltage in the bios of the system, because mine is at 1.6v. My 12v rail runs at 11.92v(that's testing it with a volt meter), and 22amps.

Samuknow 3rd July, 2006 05:15 AM

I did a bios mod and I am stuck at 415 also. It wouldn't do close to that before. This is at 1.5V...

Deadman93723 3rd July, 2006 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samuknow
I did a bios mod and I am stuck at 415 also. It wouldn't do close to that before. This is at 1.5V...

6800GS agp has the same NV40 board that the GT has and there are issues with the voltage regulators on them, they are not stable with anything over 1.3v.

That is what I have heard anyways.

dsio 3rd July, 2006 06:56 AM

Well, I know people have pushed well past 1.65V without problems. Regulators are the AIB vendor's problem, not Nvidia's, so you could expect them to vary somewhat between brands.

Deadman93723 3rd July, 2006 07:54 PM

Ok, the big question is, if I set my voltage to 1.4v instead of 1.3v in the bios without doing an actual volt mod to the card, will I get any perfomance gains?

dsio 3rd July, 2006 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadman93723
Ok, the big question is, if I set my voltage to 1.4v instead of 1.3v in the bios without doing an actual volt mod to the card, will I get any perfomance gains?

Most likely, yes.

Samuknow 3rd July, 2006 10:33 PM

Quote:

6800GS agp has the same NV40 board that the GT has and there are issues with the voltage regulators on them, they are not stable with anything over 1.3v.

That is what I have heard anyways.

Mine has been great at 1.5V

Quote:

Well, I know people have pushed well past 1.65V without problems. Regulators are the AIB vendor's problem, not Nvidia's, so you could expect them to vary somewhat between brands.
I am planning on 1.55 soon. I will tell ya what happens...

Deadman93723 3rd July, 2006 11:48 PM

Quote:

Mine has been great at 1.5V

I am planning on 1.55 soon. I will tell ya what happens...

Hey, Samuknow, your not far from me. Anyways 1.5v huh, no problems? I might have to try it.

Deadman93723 4th July, 2006 02:21 AM

I bumped the bios voltage to 1.4v and now I can hit 430/1150, that is more like it.

Samuknow 4th July, 2006 02:21 PM

Quote:

Hey, Samuknow, your not far from me. Anyways 1.5v huh, no problems? I might have to try it.

Hey you are not too far at all. Sweet another Hoosier. Well I'm a transplant.

I went to 1.4 first, let it set there for a bit and then went 1.5. Been great. Since my temps are fine, I will be bumping it up by .02 and watch it to see what happens.

Deadman93723 4th July, 2006 07:33 PM

Quote:

Hey you are not too far at all. Sweet another Hoosier. Well I'm a transplant.

I went to 1.4 first, let it set there for a bit and then went 1.5. Been great. Since my temps are fine, I will be bumping it up by .02 and watch it to see what happens.

I'm born and raised.

Yeah, I went to 1.4v yesterday, I'm going to watch things for awhile. If everything keeps rolling along well, then I might try 1.45v, see what that does.

mbataka 5th July, 2006 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

What drivers were you using before you unistalled them mbataka?

It was a 91.31 i think. I think the driver not playing a big role in this situation. I think maybe Geeks sent me already hacked by someone (RMA replaced card) and returned to them, after while they sent to me hehe.

I'm trying to find bios from another same looking card , but no luck. (Palit have same card, but couldn't able to find bios) Maybe u guys have something. ?

is it possible to flash bios from 256 RAM? to 512, if possible what should be changed in the bios.?
I'm attached my orig bios. PLEASE HELP ME!!!.
Best Regards Bataka.M

mbataka 6th July, 2006 06:53 AM

While searching on the Net i found identical looking card at http://www.icomp.pl/produkty.php?act...aficzne&id=195

As that web site informing This card have NV42 chip on board. So shall i try to reflash with the bios for NV 42? to make work my card normally?.

dsio 6th July, 2006 07:18 AM

Don't just use an NV42 bios, that card is a very one off model, and will have issues with a standard bios. It needs a genuine bios designed for the card. RMA it and let them do it is the best way.

mbataka 6th July, 2006 12:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Don't just use an NV42 bios, that card is a very one off model, and will have issues with a standard bios. It needs a genuine bios designed for the card. RMA it and let them do it is the best way.

Yeah you maybe right. But www.geeks.com not answering me to email. :-(

Currently i'm a Mongolian, so they just ignoring me probably. I sent them e-mail 2 times and no answer. Puckers :-)

I'm attaching shot's of my CHIP,HSI bridge chip and Card. Any suggestions? Which chip is it?

dsio 6th July, 2006 12:42 PM

So this is a 512MB card? If its a 512MB card, its an NV42 with a bridge, though there is a very low possibility that its a freak NV41. Either way, it needs its stock bios, no two ways about it. Do you know for sure what the brand of the card is?

Deadman93723 6th July, 2006 09:18 PM

Quote:

I'm born and raised.

Yeah, I went to 1.4v yesterday, I'm going to watch things for awhile. If everything keeps rolling along well, then I might try 1.45v, see what that does.

I had to reflash the bios to 1.3v, 1.4v is unstable on NV40 boards, at least mine anyway.:(

dsio 6th July, 2006 11:02 PM

Quote:

I had to reflash the bios to 1.3v, 1.4v is unstable on NV40 boards, at least mine anyway.:(

Standard 6800 Ultras ship at 1.4V from the factory. I think your issue could be power feed / PSU.