AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th October, 2008, 12:35 AM

I'm actually in North Phoenix, I-17 and Union Hills area. I lived in Glendale for about 20 years.

Good to see another AZ member here though. I'm leaving for the track in about 90 minutes so I'll catch up on this thread tomorrow and see what's what.
Old 19th October, 2008, 05:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to bk2life Send a message via Yahoo to bk2life

track? what track?

and your at i17 and union, funny im at 51st ave and union, right across from DV school. small world..lol

maybe if your well educated in this overclocking stuff you could check out my computer some time.

i also do custom paint/fabrication, my website is ifitsgotwheels.com

im in the process of designing a new case for my computer, it will be a custom piece with some cool paint. not sure exaclty what though, still working on it.

**oh and i also got my ram timings to move alittle, not much but a little.went from 7-8-8-23 to 6-7-7-15

oh and the pic, since you live so close you might have seen me driving around in one of my toys

im trying to move them slow, any big jumps and the computer wont boot.
i had to raise some voltages to get the ram to except the new timings.

so far so well it seems.

i think i am going to sway to a different cpu cooler also.

its gettin cooler here so i might not worry about it now, but summer does get a bit warm here.
Attached Thumbnails
8400 @3.6 but wants 4.0-aon-134.jpg   8400 @3.6 but wants 4.0-colorado-4-.jpg.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	23139   8400 @3.6 but wants 4.0-301-003.jpg   8400 @3.6 but wants 4.0-111-001.jpg  
Old 19th October, 2008, 09:46 PM

Went out to speedworld last night. I let my nhra license expire while I was putting together a new combination so I had to make a few runs to get it back. . I don't have many recent pics of my stuff, but I have an old pic in photobucket. The car has changed a little since then.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c387/CPDMF/Save.jpg

I've seen a couple of those rides around. Nice work, that's for sure. Looks like we are both into the same things. I try to stay away from body and paint, mainly deal with engines and drivetrains..

I do pretty well in the OC department. It's a busy time for me right now so if your patient with me I can get you where you need to be..

Last edited by ccperf721p; 19th October, 2008 at 09:46 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th October, 2008, 07:28 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
I do pretty well in the OC department. It's a busy time for me right now so if your patient with me I can get you where you need to be..
CC is a master of understatement...he is the go-to guy on all those obscure BIOS settings that no one understands. He does, and that's why he's so good.

Offer to paint him a logo or sumtin'...maybe you can barter for OC lessons
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th October, 2008, 06:47 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I wouldn't mind having Cliff leaning over my computer for an hour or two...":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 21st October, 2008, 04:30 PM

*update

my machine has been @4.0Ghz for a few days now and i was able to up the ram timings some, and so far no problems.

i will switch to a different cpu cooler later on when the desert heat comes back.

my fans are a bit noisey, and i have been thinkin of a custom enclosure, and also am going to try a fan controller, so i can control when these noisey beasts come on and off.
Old 21st October, 2008, 05:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

If you want quite you want water cooling at the speeds your going for. Nicely done BTW.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 21st October, 2008, 07:01 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk2life View Post
*update

my machine has been @4.0Ghz for a few days now and i was able to up the ram timings some, and so far no problems.

i will switch to a different cpu cooler later on when the desert heat comes back.

my fans are a bit noisey, and i have been thinkin of a custom enclosure, and also am going to try a fan controller, so i can control when these noisey beasts come on and off.
If you use Speedfan, you can control the fan speeds via PWM providing that the fans installed are capable of doing this & that they are plugged into mobo headers & not directly from the PSU.
That's how I control 1 of my rear exhaust fan speeds.
The temp I use to control the RPM on the fans are the CPU temps, but you can use the Mobo temps (Internal) if you like providing the mobo has that sensor which mine does.

This way when it's just sitting at idle the fans will run at a slower speeds & won't speed up until load is applied to the system.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 21st October, 2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 21st October, 2008, 11:08 PM

yes my mobo does have several different plugs for the fans, right now im plugged into the psu. the fans have 3 speeds on them now, and it would be nicer to control them electronically/ on when hot, low when idle.

also i played around with ntune, and it was able to get my ram timings down a bit more.

i went into my bios and transfered the settings ntune came up with.

when i started vista the round microsoft logo only appeared for maybe .2 of a second and went away, the fastest my machine has ever started.

my setting are at 6-4-4-13

cas latency is i think shown as CL on my bios, but ntune doenst call it that, so i havent chaged the first "6" anyone know what ntune calls cas latency?

here is a pic, if you know the answer, please let me know so i can change my bios.

thanks again, oh and you guys have been great!!

i started off with a brand new home built machine, and in what about 2 weeks i am humming along with 4.0Ghz, changing ram timings, and soon OC my video card, or gpu i think is the right word..lol

-james
Attached Thumbnails
8400 @3.6 but wants 4.0-100_3642hh.jpg  
Old 21st October, 2008, 11:42 PM

Ntune is not showing a CL latency for some reason.

I need to know what divider you are on or know the actual memory speed. A CL of 6 is quite loose so I would imagine you are on a divider that will keep you from being able to set lower and still boot
Old 22nd October, 2008, 12:09 AM

im at 1000mhz

my ram is good to 1066 but i cant get it there, divider not sure, ill take some pics of my bios
Old 22nd October, 2008, 12:15 AM

here is my settings as of now

please view all and any comments appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
8400 @3.6 but wants 4.0-21_oct.jpg   8400 @3.6 but wants 4.0-21_oct-2-.jpg.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	23146   8400 @3.6 but wants 4.0-21_oct-3-.jpg.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	23147   8400 @3.6 but wants 4.0-21_oct-4-.jpg.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	23148  
Old 22nd October, 2008, 03:24 AM

Good for 1066 and rated for 1066 are often different animals. Most of the time it depends on whether the northbridge will allow it to reach those speeds..

I would link the FSB and memory and set memory ratio 1:1, this could also be listed as 266/266, 333/333 depending on how the bios is set up. Running unlinked is asking the alot from the Northbridge, it's always better to run on a ratio.

It may go 4 4 4 12 at 888, then we have a place to start working from.
Old 22nd October, 2008, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
I would link the FSB and memory and set memory ratio 1:1,
i tried 1:1 linked and with my fsb it jumped the memory to like 1350mhz. i tried the other ratios and got around 1150 mhz.

linked i cant boot, unlinked i can.

i was able to bring CL down to 6, now im runnin 6-6-6-15 at 1000mhz.

Last edited by bk2life; 22nd October, 2008 at 05:47 AM.
Old 23rd October, 2008, 07:17 AM

Ill do a little digging around and see if there is an issue with the dividers on that board. With a FSB of 444 the memory has to run at 888 if it truly is on the 1:1 divider
Old 24th October, 2008, 05:54 AM

ok let me know what you come up with.

id like to get the ram workin where it should be.
Old 25th October, 2008, 03:23 PM

Seems all of the dividers work well on the board,

The setting we are after is Sync Mode, this will bring the memory to 1:1.

What we want to end up with when this is all over is having the CPU at it's max FSB (may require a lower multiplier) then having the memory running at it's maximum speed without having to go to loose on the timings. 4 4 4 12 at DDR900 will beat 5 5 5 18 @ 1000.
Old 25th October, 2008, 06:26 PM

thanks for that info.

i have been reading alot also on ram timings, and its pretty confusing.

im sure its pretty simple to those who know, but im still not in the know, so its weird to me.

kinda like the first time you build an engine, looks like a big job, but after the 10th or 20th you do it blind folded..lol

thanks again for the help.

you need any paint work?
Old 26th October, 2008, 04:14 AM

I might be ready to squirt my Chevelle in February or March. I'll have to see how the budget looks after I finish the new engine and trans. Going with a twin turbo setup and automatic trans this time around. More than likely I'll end up driving the car around in gray primer for a year or so like usual. Figure if I go a year without putting it on it's lid or into a light pole it's good to go..

One of these days we'll have to meet, otherwise, my brother's and I are planning a bash in the next few weeks at my place.

Last edited by ccperf721p; 26th October, 2008 at 04:16 AM.
Old 26th October, 2008, 06:33 PM

cool stuff. im in the process of putting together my 67 mercury, was thinkin twin turbo on it.

wifey and i was thinkin of doing a new years party.

let me know when and where and we'll meet up.

ill be at SEMA pretty much all next week

Tags
overclocking