AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th October, 2008, 12:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to bk2life Send a message via Yahoo to bk2life

8400 @3.6 but wants 4.0

Just built me a new system and still learning some things.

E8400 3.0 O’ced to 3.6
Evga 780sli board
4gb corsair ram (stock settings)
Zalman cpu cooler
500 wd hd
2 8800gt sli
750w thermaltake psu

Over clocked the cpu by raising voltage to 1.5 and upping the fsb to 400mhz, and that’s pretty much it.
It booted, has been stable for about 2 weeks now. No BSOD, no boot problems, all seems fine.

I find this strange, as I never have Oc’ed anything before, and everyone says how hard it is, and becareful for this, and watch that, but I did mine for the first time in like 10 mins.
If im doing something worng, or any of you have suggestions, id like to hear them.

So far my rig is fast to me. My laptop has a core 2 duo at 2.0 and it seemed fast compared to my old desktop wich was a pentium 4. Now I have this new desktop at 3.6 cpu speed, and it is fast.
On the vista experience I have scores of 5.9 on everything.

Seeing that I am having no problems, im thinking of going to 4.0 on the cpu. Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks for any advice.
Old 8th October, 2008, 12:31 AM

Nasty rig you got there partner. Wait for more knowledge people for advise. If you OC they would come!

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th October, 2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk2life View Post
Just built me a new system and still learning some things.

E8400 3.0 O’ced to 3.6
Evga 780sli board
4gb corsair ram (stock settings)
Zalman cpu cooler
500 wd hd
2 8800gt sli
750w thermaltake psu

Over clocked the cpu by raising voltage to 1.5 and upping the fsb to 400mhz, and that’s pretty much it.
It booted, has been stable for about 2 weeks now. No BSOD, no boot problems, all seems fine.

I find this strange, as I never have Oc’ed anything before, and everyone says how hard it is, and becareful for this, and watch that, but I did mine for the first time in like 10 mins.
If im doing something worng, or any of you have suggestions, id like to hear them.

Seeing that I am having no problems, im thinking of going to 4.0 on the cpu. Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks for any advice.
It's you and me, kid! I did almost the same thing with a Biostar board and an E4300. Right to 3.00Ghz right out of the box.
I didn't go any further. Ami bios was confusing and I didn't have any need to take it further.
The dark side has power! Asus P5Q Pro is going to take the place of the Biostar. E4300@4.00Ghz on air?
Do I have the cajones to try? Time wil tell. Minor detail? I know very little about OC'ing.
What is it that Ricky would say to Lucy in that accent of his? " Instructions? Who needs the stinking instructions!"

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th October, 2008, 01:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Go for it, try not to push the voltage too much. Worst that will happen is the board wont like, reset CMOS and try again.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64

Last edited by Rondog; 8th October, 2008 at 01:51 AM.
Old 8th October, 2008, 02:22 AM

it would be cool as.....well, it would be something. We shall see. Don't know if the Freezer 7 pro is up to the job, either.

Edit:
Rondog,
What is it you do with those 6 rigs you have running? if it's any of my business.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Last edited by PorPorMe; 8th October, 2008 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Question
Old 8th October, 2008, 02:40 AM

hmmm any other 8400/780i users out there? interested in hearing how or what your using to get that OC going..
Old 8th October, 2008, 02:46 AM

Sorry about that, bk, didn't mean to steal your thread!

Old 8th October, 2008, 02:52 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Cooling is the key to higher clocks. It will take more volts and a slow patient pace. OC is easy any more. It is the big clocks that take time.

Watch the temps and push it as far as it will go at the volts you have. Use prime 95 to load it down and see if it is stable.

600 Mhz OC is far from a high OC for that chip. You have tons of potential there. I have a 1.2 Ghz over clock on my 6400 and that chip is much better.

Last edited by Samuknow; 8th October, 2008 at 02:54 AM.
Old 8th October, 2008, 06:12 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow View Post
It will take more volts and a slow patient pace. OC is easy any more. It is the big clocks that take time.
I'm not in agreement with Sam about the voltage[I'll explain later], but, like he says, go very slowly and test with Prime95 and/or Folding@Home after each increase. Jumping to 4 G in one step would be a mistake, because if the OC fails, you wouldn't know at what point it failed - was it lack of voltage, or too many mhz? How much voltage wasn't enough? How many mhz were too many? There are other reasons why, in your case, you should go back and check and fine-tune what you've already done. I'll give you those later in this post.

I like to go in small increments and take notes as I go. I have found this gives me the least chance for failure and the most control over where the sweet spots are, meaning the best balance of voltages[read: heat and wear] and mhz[read:speed yield]. Remember that every time you raise the voltage to make your speed stable you create more heat - so like Sam says, you need to make sure that your cooling setup is superior if you want big clocks - either a high quality air cooler or a liquid system like many of us run. Memory limitations also play into this scenario but that is for a different post...

For an example of this thinking(don't compare these numbers to what your chip is capable of, only consider the method), I run my main rig with a Q6600 [a 65nm chip 2.4G stock] quad at 3.5 G daily. That's at 1.376V, less than .1V over stock voltage. I have recently run this chip at nearly 4.0G, but I had to jam it with 1.64 V to do it. That's not safe in the long run. You have to decide on the point at which upping the voltage becomes a diminishing return in mhz. In my case, I felt no difference in performance from 3.5 G to 3.978 G. See here, and the other posts in the thread, for my benchmarking experience on that rig:

Squeeze your computer AOA EXIBITION

Now for your particular case [everyone feel free to chime in if you know something I don't]:
You are already at 1.5V on a 45nm Wolfdale chip: stock voltage around 1.2V or so. The 45nm chips run cooler than earlier models mainly because they run at lower voltages. I would guess that you are running the voltage too high, and although I doubt it will kill the chip in the short-term, it's most likely not necessary voltage[read:heat, and therefore wear]. Since you think you're stable, you should try to reduce the voltage in the smallest increments possible, 1 step at a time, until the overclock fails. Then set the voltage at the last stable setting before it failed, and test again. This will also give you time to become intimately familiar with your board/CPU combination, and what it is capable of. You will need some temperature monitoring software to keep an eye on things as you go higher.

I would digest the VID figures on page 17 and 18 of this document for the 8000 series:
http://download.intel.com/design/pro...s/31873201.pdf
It would seem to suggest that the voltage should be run at no more than 1.3625-1.45V. You're already well past that with a fairly small OC.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 8th October, 2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 8th October, 2008, 11:20 AM

TR. I was using a generalization. I did not take into account that he already had too much voltage for a 600 Mhz OC.

My bad.

The general rule of thumb is more voltage for the big OC. He may or may not need it for 4.0 on that chip.

I have a good OC on mine without much voltage at all. His chip is much better and SHOULD get much more.

Last edited by Samuknow; 8th October, 2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 8th October, 2008, 11:31 AM

Arrow

"Over clocked the cpu by raising voltage to 1.5 "
If you didn't pick up on what these guys have said, 1.5 vcore is way too high for 3.6GHz.
I've read a number of posts that said they got to 3.6GHz at default vcore or just a little voltage bump up! (under 1.3v on vcore)
This is way too much voltage for that clock speed..
Here's an example where someone was able to do 3.6GHz with just 1.26250 vcore.
If you do this right, you shouldn't have to "Muscle" the E8400 to higher speeds...
The E8400 is one of the easiest CPU's you can OC.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 9th October, 2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 8th October, 2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow View Post
TR. I was using a generalization. I did not take into account that he already had too much voltage for a 600 Mhz OC.
I knew what you meant, mate. But I'm not sure if the OP would, so better to make sure he doesn't go hog wild with the Vcore For the result he has he shouldn't need more than stock volts.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]

Old 8th October, 2008, 11:25 PM

True that my friend.
Old 9th October, 2008, 08:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to bonesaw

1.5 is dangerous see where you can get without touching the vcore. then bump up a notch or two in bios for every 100-150 mhz.
g. skill 6400 5-5-5-15-2t 4 gigs
Evga 450 gts
Thermaltake Armor
Ocz700w
300gb Seagate ide + Seagate 750gb sata
Logitech thx 5300 5.1
Acer 19' wide al1916w
Old 9th October, 2008, 09:31 AM

Seems he hasn't posted back. I wonder if the CPU is already toast...
I didn't see any mention of CPU temps at all in the post & I'd hate to see what they are at 1.5 on air!
I know what my temps are at 1.4750v...too high for my comfort under load with this Zalman.
That's why I've settled at 3.5GHz. That & it seems to have stabilized at this speed.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 9th October, 2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 9th October, 2008, 11:17 AM

Well at least it isn't hard to over clock....LOL
Old 9th October, 2008, 03:30 PM

I always dread the "I did this and that already" posts...I'm much more comfortable in the "I'm ready to do this, can you help to tell me how it's done" arena. Typically it's much more fruitful that way, and it's easier to establish agreement in method as well.

Old 9th October, 2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUff1N View Post
Seems he hasn't posted back. I wonder if the CPU is already toast...
I’m not able to get on the computer all the time, and if my cpu was "toast" I’d go buy another one. I tried dropping my vcore to 1.25v and I got BSOD. I had to raise it to 1.35 and comp is back up and running.

"I always dread the "I did this and that already" posts..."
that’s good for you, i really care about your opinion. if everyone waited and not tried anything until someone came out with a how to, then what would be the fun of trying things? it wouldn’t and we would still have 250gb hard drives that fill up a building.

now for the people who have been decent, and try to give helpful ideas, thanks a lot, its people like you who make this world a better place. the people who do nothing but cry about stupid stuff like this, pretty simple go f$%! yourself.

I have searched for quite some time looking for a how to manual on over clocking, and have found nothing. I have signed up to several over clocking forums, and this is the only one where some of the posts are actually helpful, and the people nice.

I’m not a computer geek, I’m a Soldier who recently got back home from a warzone. all i was asking was is this right, and what have you guys tried to get to 4.0 reliably.

I found the guide to over clock your 8400 very helpful, thank you for posting that.

I hope I don’t get as much crap as I have been getting when I ask about RAM timings. seems there is nothing on that subject either, and god help me if I ask the people who know and work with it every day.

so please, keep your rude, not needed comments to yourself, I don’t care to come home and read them, and if you have to say something, email me direct I will gladly be not so calm in answering whatever you need.

Last edited by bk2life; 9th October, 2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 9th October, 2008, 05:23 PM

before dropping voltage down to 1.26250 my cpu temp was 50.0celcius

my ram timings are as follows 6-8-8-22-2t what do these numbers mean?
and how can i speed/overclock the ram?
Old 9th October, 2008, 06:50 PM

Hey, calm down pal.

No one was being rude, and that I can say with confidence. I, for one, spent a fair amount of time putting together some general instructions for you, including some research that yielded the data sheet for your chip, firming our belief that you were overvolted for that amount of OC. You can thank me later.

"now for the people who have been decent, and try to give helpful ideas, thanks a lot, its people like you who make this world a better place. the people who do nothing but cry about stupid stuff like this, pretty simple go f$%! yourself."

Who was crying? We welcomed you, spent time to help and research, and didn't hear from you afterwards. We were genuinely concerned that something bad had happened, and believe me, it does.

As for saying that I sometimes dread when someone has gone too far without asking first, well, it's from experience, and most of those folks will say later that they wished they hadn't gone about it that way. So...hang in there and slow down. Your best results will come from being patient. It's not as simple as pushing the FSB and chucking voltage at it. It's up to you, though. You can do it the right way[stable], or the fast way[most likely flaky]. The right way is what you can learn here. The fast way, well, set the multi to 8, the FSB to 500 and then push teh volts on the chip and the memory 'til it boots. Maybe put the memory on a divider, so it runs at a different speed than the cpu. All that is going to make it run hot, maybe unnecessarily. But who cares? If your chip gets fried, you'll just buy another one, right?

There are all kinds of things that you need to find out first. So...

Now, to go forward, when you lowered the vcore to 1.25 did you do it in steps, or all at once? It's important to remember that we need to find the point at which it fails to boot. If you do it all at once, we only know that it fails at 1.25 and runs at 1.5. There's a lot of real estate between there, and you have to get a handle on where certain things happen, so go in baby steps. Get used to it. Overclocking is a gradual process. You push the FSB in increments. You test it with each increase. You push it again, in baby steps, and test it each time until it fails. Then, you have to find out if it failed because of the voltage or memory limitations. Then, we need to know what multiplier you are using. Is it set to the stock 9, or something else? Have you studied the options in the BIOS, and do you feel comfortable making adjustments there?

Please remember that there are thousands of possible combinations of options in the BIOS and to help you to get a stable OC we need you to be a bit organized with your method. That is all I'm saying; don't take offense. I mean, if you change several settings at the same time, it gets confusing. Your knowledge will best be served if you change one thing at a time and keep notes so you know what did what. It will take hours and hours and days and days to get there.

So, for now, try to find out what the limit of the chip is without pushing the memory. The memory will increase in speed as you push the FSB; it's linked, and sometimes will make the overclock fail if the memory isn't capable of what's being asked of it. So, if you want, you can set the memory divider to run it at a lower speed so it always stays at or under stock when you overclock the cpu. Then see how far you can go with the cpu now that the memory is out of the picture. After you know thae limit of the CPU, you do the opposite - lower ethe speed of the CPU and see how far the memory will go without failing. Then, you put it all together. But we can't even really say anything about the memory right now, because we don't know anything about it except that it's from Corsair. They sell about a zillion models, so pinning that down would be important before we advise you on that. [Model, speed, type, etc?]

BTW, here is a good basic overclocking tutorial for beginners since you weren't able to find one: http://techreport.com/articles.x/13815

I found it here. If you don't like that one[I did], there are others: http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=

Last edited by ThunderRd; 9th October, 2008 at 08:23 PM.

Tags
overclocking