AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th February, 2005, 06:13 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

AMD Dual-Core Demonstrations Get Two Thumbs Up At Linuxworld

Found this on AMD.com:
Quote:
SUNNYVALE, CALIF. -- February 15, 2005 --AMD (NYSE: AMD) today again displayed the strength of the AMD64 dual-core ecosystem with four dual-core AMD Opteron™ processor technology demonstrations on existing partner server and workstation platforms at LinuxWorld Boston.

Quote:
To date, AMD is the only company to publicly demonstrate an x86 dual-core server solution. AMD has been shipping production samples of dual-core AMD Opteron processors to partners since January and plans to introduce a dual-core processor line-up for the one- to eight-socket server and workstation markets in mid-2005 based on the existing 940-pin socket. AMD64 dual-core processors for the client market are expected to follow in the second half of 2005.
looks like 940 pins for dual cores.

read the full press release HERE:
Old 16th February, 2005, 06:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

At least initially. But the AMD64 processors for the client market are 939 and 754. I don't expect to see dual-core on socket-754, though. Single vs. Dual core will make a nice differentiator for the budget vs performance market.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th February, 2005, 07:00 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

and it also makes sense as to why they have two different active desktop sockets. 754 for single cores, 939 for duals. I was under the inpression that the 940th pin was for the extra HyperTransprt link, but like you say, 940 is not desktop. Mind you, you can find just about every board out there that is 939 in 940 socket flava, so i guess it remains to be seen. the 940th pin was for ECC before, so it doesn ot make sense that it go any other route....unless DDR2 comes into the picture..but not likely. I have seen a couple of large AMD sockets...1066pins or something. I'll have to dig through my pics and see if i can find it. got a pic of a geode running with just a heatspreader from about that time too...when we were first discussing Nforce4, and some thought it was sinle-chip designs.

the end opf this year is looking bright...i'm already starting to save for the next build...cancelled my corsair Xpert order ....to save the $400 for a dualcore!
Don't forget my little snippet about bios upgrades for duals either.