AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th October, 2008, 12:48 AM

linux filesystems?

hello everyone

here is a question from a linux noob. Is there a supported filesystem under linux that allows me to use some additional characters?
I have tons of files with blanks and -[]().,!
any chance to replace win xp on my fileserver with linux?
Old 28th October, 2008, 02:56 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

So far as I know, EXT2/3, JFS, XFS, and ReiserFS all support file names that contain anything other than '/' (the directory separator), and the NULL character (string terminator in the 'C' programming language which most of Linux is written in).

There are other file systems that can be mounted under Linux that may have a more restricted character set, e.g. ntfs, hpfs, cifs, cdfs, but these are not properly native linux file systems; rather, they are file systems from other OSen that can be mounted under Linux, or are designed to be OS-agnostic, and thus require a more restrictive character set to satisfy the 'least-common denominator'.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th October, 2008, 01:47 PM

thanks Gizmo, this sounds promising

Which one should I use?

most of my files are 1mb-1gb, some smaller txt, doc, jpg and some bigger files 4-8gb
Old 28th October, 2008, 02:16 PM

ReiserFS would be my choice for a partition containing mostly small files.
Old 28th October, 2008, 03:05 PM

30% of my files are larger than 100MB, another 60% 1-10mb
I think speed is more important to me than small clustersize
should I use reiserfs for the linux partition and a different filesystem on a second partition?
Old 28th October, 2008, 03:30 PM

I should have been more specific, 1GB and under ReiserFS is faster than ext3, 2GB and over ext3 is faster. There is also ext4 but I haven't personally tested to check speed.

I try to get the best of both worlds by mounting an ext3 partition to a folder in my ReiserFS /home on my other rigs.

On my sig rig I run Reiser4 but don't keep anything I can't afford to lose on it for very long. It's been 6 months and have not had any problems with reiser4, if it goes a year I will consider it stable.
Old 29th October, 2008, 01:03 AM

ok, thx
I was too lazy to burn the ubuntu image to cd, so I installed vmware under vista and installed ubuntu on a virtual machine. I managed to copy a file to that virtual machine. problem is, vista has access to ubuntu, but ubuntu does not see the shared folder from vista (computer yes, I doubleclicked it and it is empty, no folder)
Old 7th November, 2008, 02:59 AM
Member/Contributer

Look into the documentation.
The problem is that need to tell vmware which folder, then manually mount it in Ubuntu - similar to mapping a network dive, but done from the command line.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!