AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th November, 2008, 02:36 PM
Steve Jobs

Fedora 10 Soon

End of November is the release. This release will be stable from the outset with more mature releases of many packages

Significant packages:

KDE 4.1.x
GNOME 2.24.0

The feature list:

Releases/10/FeatureList - FedoraProject

% Complete Name Summary Updated
100% AMQP Infrastructure A technology that makes it easy to build scalable, interoperable, high-performance enterprise applications 2008-09-11
100% Appliance Tools Tools and meta-data that make it easier for anyone (ISVs, developers, OEMS, etc) to create and deploy virtual appliances 2008-09-26
100% Artistic 1.0 License Removal Remove all packages licensed under only the Artistic 1.0 license before Fedora 10 2008-09-15
100% Better Printing Improve management and handling of printers 2008-08-08
100% Better Remote Support Make it easier to connect to remote controls and have them just work with many applications. 2008-08-26
100% Better Start-up Stream line graphical start up 2008-10-21
100% Better Webcam Support Improved webcam support 2008-10-23
100% Connection Sharing Enable adhoc network sharing 2008-08-08
100% Eclipse 3.4 Rebase Eclipse to version 3.4 2008-09-16
100% Evdev Input Driver Evdev is being used as the default input driver for X.Org. 2008-09-01
100% Faster Startup Decrease the amount of time it takes to start and stop fedora 2008-09-16
100% First Aid Kit First Aid Kit is an automated recovery tool that brings together common recovery processes and applies them to a system 2008-09-23
100% Glitch Free Audio Rewrite the PulseAudio sound server to use timer-based audio scheduling 2008-07-16
100% Gnome 2.24 Re-base Fedora to Gnome 2.24 2008-09-24
100% GStreamer RPM dependencies Assist automated installation of GStreamer codecs provided by third-party repositories 2008-10-03
100% Kernel Modes Setting for Graphics Move graphic mode initialization from the X server's DDX drivers to the kernel 2008-10-24
100% LiveConnect Allows JavaScript from web browsers to connect to a Java(TM) Virtual Machine and vice-versa. 2008-11-02
100% LXDE Desktop Make the LXDE lightweight X11 desktop environment available in Fedora 2008-11-02
100% NetBeans IDE Add the NetBeans IDE to Fedora 2008-09-09
100% Online Accounts Service Provides applications with credentials for user's online accounts listed on online.gnome.org or stored in GConf. 2008-11-05
100% Python NSS Bindings Include a newly developed package which provides python bindings for NSS 2008-07-09
100% Remote Virtual Install Enable the creation of virtual machines on remote hosts 2008-08-11
100% RPM 4.6 Update RPM to 4.6 2008-10-17
100% Save to Bugzilla Auto create bugzilla entry with anaconda tracebacks 2008-10-14
100% Sbin Sanity Add /usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin to the PATH for normal users to simplify command-line administration tasks 2008-09-11
100% Security Audit A new security audit system and intrusion detection system 2008-07-14
100% Sugar Desktop Include the Sugar Desktop (used in OLPC) in Fedora 2008-10-21
100% Virtual Storage Make storage provisioning over libvirt connections (local and remote) virtual machines as simple as possible. 2008-09-11
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th November, 2008, 02:40 PM
Steve Jobs

Fedora 9 was a bit fishy near the beginning, and I installed it on my laptop then regretted it for a while until it evened out, having tried the F10 betas its solid. Get the impression that Fedora is swinging from stability/bugfix releases to advancement/development releases.

Fedora 5 introduced new toys like AIGLX
Fedora 6 felt very stable
Fedora 7 introduced the major merge of Fedora Extras and Fedora Core
Fedora 8 was more stable and reliable
Fedora 9 introduced a pre-release X server among other new toys like KDE 4.x
Fedora 10 uses a stable X server and bugfixed versions of KDE4

Kind of like Star Trek movies, the even numbered ones always just seam better.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th November, 2008, 02:45 PM
Steve Jobs

Also, one major "quality of life" enhancement:

The 3rd party repos that have provided extra / non GPL friendly packages to fedora were always different and often you needed more than one of them, which was a problem as some of them conflicted and casued issues.

Three of the biggest rpm repos have now combined:
Livna (the one I use mainly and the one Dan uses)
Dribble
FreshRPMs

Have merged into one single repo, called RPMFusion.

For people that already have one of these repos installed (like Livna) what will happen is yum will download the RPMFusion update automatically, and it will then just continue business as usual, you don't have to do anything.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 6th November, 2008, 07:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thanks diso... is there something here that you've been especially waiting for? Any real Biggies?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 7th November, 2008, 02:58 PM
Steve Jobs

Nothing particularly huge, the new version of GNOME I'm looking forward to, but in particular I like the fact that alot of loose ends are being cleaned up and more mature releases are going to be used. Should be nice fast and stable. I like different releases for different reasons, F9 because it was rather cutting edge, F10 because its more a stable release.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 7th November, 2008, 03:49 PM
AOA Staff

let us know how well it work. some screenshots will help too
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 7th November, 2008, 03:53 PM
Steve Jobs

[Phoronix] Fedora 10 Prepares For Development Freeze

Preview release brief rundown.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 7th November, 2008, 04:25 PM
AOA Staff

oooh, I like the solar theme. whats with the "freeze"? the article really didn't explain it... or I didn't read it all
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 7th November, 2008, 04:38 PM
Steve Jobs

Freeze means development freeze. Due to the fact that GNU/Linux is made up of thousands of packages and optional features, there is always some new package or new feature on a daily, or in some cases, hourly basis.

However when producing a distribution release, at a certain time, you have to just say, "hold on, lets stop now, and test everything, then fix all the bugs rather than adding more stuff". Its that age old problem an artist has with putting down his brush, you have to able to say "its done" and start fixing and testing instead of adding.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 7th November, 2008, 04:49 PM
AOA Staff

ok, that makes sense. without the "freeze" they keep adding components and never really get to test the compatibility. So then a "feeze" is a good thing on a free OS...
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 7th November, 2008, 05:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
However when producing a distribution release, at a certain time, you have to just say, "hold on, lets stop now, and test everything, then fix all the bugs rather than adding more stuff". Its that age old problem an artist has with putting down his brush, you have to able to say "its done" and start fixing and testing instead of adding.
I used to have a sign in my office back when I was in manufacturing. It said:

"There comes a time in every project where you have to shoot the engineer and start production."

It was a reminder that, at some point, the engineer has to say "It's good enough", because we always like to tinker and make it 'just a little better'.
Old 7th November, 2008, 06:16 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

For me, the most exciting thing in computing is happing in Free Linux! Think of it! Tens of thousands laboring for no other reward than to be able to partisapate in it's creation!

In this world, why that's rather hard to find! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 7th November, 2008, 06:26 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yeah, but you have to remember Daniel, that engineers tend to be a rather bizarre lot to start with; we just like to make stuff. As long as we can take care of our families, that's all most of us really care about.

If it weren't for that, engineers would rule the world! ("Eh, wot'r we goin' to do tonight, Brain?" "Why, the same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the WORLD!")
Old 7th November, 2008, 06:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'm here to say that engineers that make free stuff to benefit their fellows...they remain rather special in my world...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 8th November, 2008, 03:45 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
I used to have a sign in my office back when I was in manufacturing. It said:

"There comes a time in every project where you have to shoot the engineer and start production."

It was a reminder that, at some point, the engineer has to say "It's good enough", because we always like to tinker and make it 'just a little better'.
Failure to do this is why we have (or rather don't) Duke Nukem Forever.

One of the key reasons why alot of major open source projects (including the kernel itself) actually work with so many colaborators is that they set these hard deadlines.

The Intel guys are notorious for trying to sneak extra patches into kernel releases after the merge window has passed. Linus has a talent for telling them "No, you can get it in next time if you stick to the deadline, now fix the crap you've already submitted".

The reason major releases like Fedora and Ubuntu are 6 monthly is because they line it up with kernel releases, and with desktop environment releases (both KDE and GNOME cycle about every 6 months). Fedora is delaying a bit atm more to fix issues than because they're adding more, I get the impression that RHEL6 will be based on Fedora 10, so they're going to want it rock solid before they start enterprising it up.

Even though there are these deadlines, they don't hamper development much. The fact is due to its nature and the high calibre of software engineers that are working on GNU/Linux and related packages these guys simply do not want to stand still on anything, they want to keep pushing cutting edge tech and one-uping eachother and the competition, if you don't stop now and then to fix bugs you end up with an extremely high tech cutting edge mess. Even with the release cycles, most are six months or less, which really isn't long at all.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Last edited by dsio; 8th November, 2008 at 03:50 AM.
Old 8th November, 2008, 03:58 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
I'm here to say that engineers that make free stuff to benefit their fellows...they remain rather special in my world...":O}
Incidentally most of the ones doing that are doing reasonably well out of it. Maintaining an open source project that has common use or notoriety puts a software engineer in a very high standing when it comes to employment, many companys will hire people in that position to just do what they would do for free anyway (RedHat and Cannonical spring to mine). Furthermore some of the more prominent people like Linus Torvalds himself have been given gifts from major companies (VA Linux and RedHat gave Linus stock options worth around $20 million just out of gratitude).
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 8th November, 2008, 07:32 AM

I haven't had much time to sit at my Linux rigs lately but will probably give F10 a test drive after I get some more time. Still have to finish an LFS install on my secondary rig, then go back through my main rig to find out why a couple of packages don't like my 2.6.22 kernel..
Old 8th November, 2008, 10:28 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Yeah, but you have to remember Daniel, that engineers tend to be a rather bizarre lot to start with; we just like to make stuff.
Hehe, you're right. I had to manage a bunch of nuts like us, and believe me, it didn't help much to be an engineer myself. I often thought that perhaps a non-engineer would have been a better choice.

The sign in my office showed a picture of the half-empty/half-full wine glass with a caption. It went something like this:
"The optimist would say that this glass is half-full, but the pessimist says it's half-empty.
I'm an engineer. I don't really care what they think. I just know that I have to design a smaller glass!"
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Old 8th November, 2008, 06:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Wouldn't a larger one be more optimistic? ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 8th November, 2008, 08:23 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Optimistic, yes, but not too "efficient"...
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com