AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th December, 2008, 09:00 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Oh my.....that's not good.

All you get is GRUB?!?!?

I've got to go see my Mother, so I'll have to tackle this when I get back. At the moment, you're up on your clone drive, so it's not a disaster. And in any case, the part that you missed about installing those 4 packages wouldn't have caused you to not boot. That's a kernel problem.

Hmm..........
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th December, 2008, 09:06 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

BTW, do you know how to mount the other drive so that we can snoop around in it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th December, 2008, 09:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yep! lacking in all form of subtlety...GRUB.

We be very cool.":O}

As you say I'm on a perfectly good drive of which I have several back ups...":O}

Say hi to your mom and if you have time we can pick this up tomorrow.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 14th December, 2008, 09:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
BTW, do you know how to mount the other drive so that we can snoop around in it?
Not really as they are Identical...I don't remember what it did...but I remember I shouldn't hook them both up at once let them boot....I could try hitting f8 and choosing the disk it boots to....not really, but you could maybe teach me? ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 14th December, 2008, 09:16 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
Not really as they are Identical...I don't remember what it did...but I remember I shouldn't hook them both up at once let them boot....I could try hitting f8 and choosing the disk it boots to....not really, but you could maybe teach me? ":O}
Well, see, that's the problem.....they aren't identical any more, and I'd like to look at the boot files (specifically the grub.conf) on the borked system drive and see what it looks like.

I'm suspicioning that for some reason the upgrade didn't fixup the grub.conf correctly, and it's trying to boot a non-existent kernel. But I'm not certain, and since grub isn't exactly 'web aware', it'd be rather difficult for you to answer my questions while in grub.
Old 14th December, 2008, 09:20 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

OK. I've pulled my head out of grub, you'd like me to hook both up and boot to my good drive see we can poke about in my drive gone wrong...OK I'll do it! LOL
be back in 5
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 14th December, 2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 14th December, 2008, 09:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I back , but unclear as to where you are? Let's meet again soon! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 14th December, 2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 14th December, 2008, 10:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ok, the borked drive should have at least 2 partitions on it. The first one will be the boot partition, and will have a subdirectory called 'grub'. In that subdirectory will be a file called grub.conf.

Post the contents of that file up. If there's a line that looks something like:

Code:
password --md5 $1$emz8vBTg%7vMYOArkqarB3O927eDo11wu/
then remove it and post the rest up.
Old 15th December, 2008, 06:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

You've way lost me! I have both Drives hooked up. I "think" my borked drive shows up as a Filesystem but that may be for the drive I'm on rather than the borked drive.

If this is easiest for you I'm good with it...but I can restore the drive over the next few hours and we could start over?
Attached Thumbnails
Fedora system update error...-fedora-drives.png  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 15th December, 2008, 06:56 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Off point but giving me problems in resolving this...

I have a new USB keyboard... it doesn't seem to want to register with my system early enough during boot...I have trouble with being able to hit (have it work when I do) the F8 key to get to boot selection... is there a possible cure for this in my BIOS settings?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 15th December, 2008, 08:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
You've way lost me!
That's not surprising. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
I have both Drives hooked up. I "think" my borked drive shows up as a Filesystem but that may be for the drive I'm on rather than the borked drive.

If this is easiest for you I'm good with it...but I can restore the drive over the next few hours and we could start over?
I'd be tempted to start over, except that I'm not confident it would end any better. I suspect this issue is rooted in the fact that you upgraded from F8, without ever having installed F9, but I don't know that with certainty.

Anyway, it doesn't look like the borked drive is mounted. Take a look in the /mnt folder and tell me what is in there. Odds are, it will be empty. If that is the case, then I will need for you to go to the command line, su like you normally do, and then do the following:

Code:
mkdir /mnt/borkedboot
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/borkedboot
Then look in the /mnt/borkedboot directory and show me what is there.

Last edited by Gizmo; 15th December, 2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 15th December, 2008, 08:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ng Ng Not Good Not Good! "}
Attached Thumbnails
Fedora system update error...-mnt.png  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 15th December, 2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 15th December, 2008, 08:20 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Carp!

Can you show me the output of the commands that you typed in?
Old 15th December, 2008, 08:21 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Borkedboot
Attached Thumbnails
Fedora system update error...-borkredboot-mnt.png  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 15th December, 2008, 08:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Borkedboot 2
Attached Thumbnails
Fedora system update error...-borkedboot2.png  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 15th December, 2008, 08:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Borkedboot
Ah, good.

Now, from the command line, su and then type:

Code:
gedit /mnt/borkedboot/grub/grub.conf&
Show me the contents of that file.
Old 15th December, 2008, 08:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Borkedboot 3 We sure did a job on her hey! LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Fedora system update error...-borkedboot3.png  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 15th December, 2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 15th December, 2008, 08:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Ah, good.

Now, from the command line, su and then type:

Code:
gedit /mnt/borkedboot/grub/grub.conf&
Show me the contents of that file.
I'll try again, but wanted you to see this one!

[Daniel@dhcppc2 ~]$ su
Password:
[root@dhcppc2 Daniel]# mkdir /mnt/borkedboot
[root@dhcppc2 Daniel]# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/borkedboot
[root@dhcppc2 Daniel]# gedit /mnt/borkedboot/grub/grub.conf&
[1] 18239
[root@dhcppc2 Daniel]#
(gedit:18239): EggSMClient-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported

GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See GConf configuration system for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)
GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See GConf configuration system for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)
[root@dhcppc2 Daniel]#
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 15th December, 2008, 08:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Gedit
Attached Thumbnails
Fedora system update error...-gedit-borkedboot.png  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 15th December, 2008, 08:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Hmmm...........when you come up in the GRUB boot screen, it should be giving you two options. The default option (the first one in the list) is the one I'm assuming you've been using.

Have you tried selecting the second option?

Tags
fedora , linux