AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th February, 2009, 07:05 PM
Steve Jobs

Kde 4.2

Anyone had a play with this yet? Fedora 10 packages just arrived a day or two ago and I've been using it for a while now. Still not comfortable with it as I've become accustomed to GNOME but its not a bad thing to use.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th February, 2009, 07:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Waiting on getting a few things done first, then I'd love to take a look!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th February, 2009, 07:36 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Funnily enough, now that the ebuilds are unmasked, I was thinking of emerging it tonight and having a play.

I use KDE anyway, so it'll be interesting to compare.
Old 16th February, 2009, 07:51 PM

I've spent most of my time with Xfce over the years and have gotten pretty used to the way it handles. I have KDE 4.2 installed under my second Gentoo install on my main rig. It is good looking and seems to be well coded but I don't care much for the menu navigation. Everything seems to just be one extra step to get to what you need.
I prefer the Xfce right click -> select the app and be done method.
Old 16th February, 2009, 07:58 PM
Steve Jobs

Yea, the menu needs work for sure. The new menu is a bit too vistaish / over intuitive for my liking and I don't find it attractive to look at. On the other hand, the old KDE3 style menu is a bit too old and difficult. I miss a great deal of the convenience in Gnome, such as the recent documents and other items under the <places> heading, along with the separate structure between system and applications. I also find the KDE bars a bit on the chunky side.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 16th February, 2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Yea, the menu needs work for sure.
Fairly typical for KDE... and Gnome... and fvwm... and every window manager since twm. Out of the box, they're ugly.

Recent documents, web pages etc used to be possible in Kicker (the old menu) so presumably are possible in Kickoff (the new menu). I suppose that, too, needs boxes checked.

ccperf's preferred xfce-style menus were in KDE3.5 set from KControl in Desktop->Behaviour under "Mouse Button Actions". Selecting the Application menu instead of the Desktop menu brought up the normal Kicker menu. I always use a custom menu with a subset of commands and programs that I use most frequenty. (I also turfed Kicker in favour of KBFX, though I'm starting to get bored with that now, too).

So like always, the "as-shipped KDE has arrived with a coat of builder's magnolia, and needs redecorating to make it feel like home.
Old 16th February, 2009, 09:51 PM
Steve Jobs

Wonder if anyone's used the KDE widgets thing? Seams kind of like a check the box feature that sits there and consumes resources.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 16th February, 2009, 10:11 PM

I probably won't, for the same reason that I disable the sidebar in Vista... what's the point of having stuff on the desktop? If you can see the desktop, you're not working hard enough.
Old 17th February, 2009, 08:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

What is the the best or preferred windows decorator, themes etc. for the Fedora 10 desktop, standard is....rather unimaginative...as some have mentioned noted...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 17th February, 2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 18th February, 2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
What is the the best or preferred windows decorator, themes etc. for the Fedora 10 desktop, standard is....rather unimaginative...as some have mentioned noted...":O}
Nothing I can think of off the top of my head that would be the best or a preferred window decoration or theme. Emerald comes with a few that are OK. You can find compiz themes, icons and such at Eyecandy for your GNOME-Desktop - GNOME-Look.org
Old 18th February, 2009, 08:10 PM

Or KDE-look.org for KDE.

I got around to compiling KDE 4.2 today... not too sure that this is an upgrade: KDE-3.5's biggest advantage was KControl, the very powerful, and detailed, configuration setup. What they've replaced it with... and plasma... and widgets...

I'll play for a couple of weeks, but I'm glad I backed up everything before I started playing. One quick copy command later and I can have everything back the way it was...
Old 18th February, 2009, 08:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thanks Guys! I've booked marked both locations for future use...One day soon you may find yourselves helping me to install one or more of these! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 19th February, 2009, 11:34 PM

Hey ho, after a couple of days playing, I'm getting over the shock of switching from the truly brilliant KDE 3.5.9 to 4.2.

Not the smoothest upgrade in the world: KDE has historically allowed slotted installs, so that you could run KDE2 next to KDE3, and releases such as KDE3.0, 3.1, 3.2.... 3.5.9 could all coexist happily. Now Gentoo's ebuilds for KDE4.2 blocked that. Turns out it was quite sensible - when I rewrote the ebuild in my local portage overlay and installed it, Bad Things Happened. Quick restore later, then needed to unmerge KDE3.5.9 and all dependent programs. (Not difficult with package sets - unmask portage-2.2 for good stuff).

KDE-4.2 is pretty. Qt4 provides compiz-style desktop effects, which seem to be rather more solid than compiz. Also nice that it integrates with kwin rather than needing to fluff about with scripts to replace the window decorator on startup.

Also good is that you can then turn desktop compositing off at the flick of a switch: handy if you want both desktop effects and video calls on Skype (skype doesn't play well with OpenGL unless you turn off textured video. If you do that, Skype video can't be made fullscreen).

After a few minutes of searching around KDE-look, I was able to grab early ports of QtCurve and deKorator that mean I can ditch the Mac-ish default theme. However, icons are a problem: KDE now names icons slightly differently, so themes not specifically customised for KDE4 may not work as expected.

The good: it's fast. It's prettier than KDE-3.5.9, but no slower. For the amount of extra eye-candy involved, this is nothing short of a miracle. It seems to be rock stable (if you compile without threads. YMMV if you compile it using threads).

Widgets are actually not what I was expecting. I had this horrible, shrinking feeling that the widgets would be the Vista sidebar nonsense. Yes there are lots of pointless toys, though the actual framework is rather good. Everything, from the task bar to the system tray, the clock the USB automounter, everything is a widget: you can customize exactly what you want.

For example, the KDE Kickoff menu... well, I hated it. But I like Lancelot. Switching menus was a matter of closing one and opening another.

I hated the clock, but haven't found another that I like yet.

And apart from that, it's KDE - it's well laid out, thorough and robust, opens and closes windows.

The bad:
Control Centre: KDE's old control centre was complex, and was getting a little out of date in places (who uses LILO anymore?), and did have some curious inclusions (Sony laptop extras by default) and exclusions (bluetooth), so was due for revision. I'm not sure why the KDE team felt they had to copy the OSX settings screen, but they did. I'm gradually "finding" where everything has been hidden, and apart from printer control (still not stable, so delayed) is present and correct but offers much less detailed control than the old KContol

A problem with the new app is that the "administrator mode" button is just gone. A lot of settings require root access, but there's no obvious way of getting at it. (Also running the commands from the console doesn't work, either - back to .conf editing 'til that once gets resolved).

Kicker: it's gone. The old task bar system has just vanished. There's not even a compatibility applet for it. So any applications that were intended to sit on the panel rather than in the tray (e.g. lapsus) are also just gone.

Other KDE components are behind in development. kbluetoothd hasn't been ported yet, for example.

Input methods - skim (which worked) still depends on kde, so doesn't work. ibus (which only depends on gtk) doesn't seem to want to load input methods. So writing in non-Roman-character laguages is a chore for now.

In all, the base system is fine and good, but while it's lacking in furniture you probably wouldn't invite the parents to visit.