AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th February, 2009, 03:39 AM

Why I hate flash!

I'm starting to remember why I never installed flash on any of my systems. Picked this little gem up on the gentoo wiki while doing some user editing.

Time to make some changes to my system and my business website and just be done with flash.. I'm tired of it never getting any better no matter how long it goes on or how many version bumps come along..
Attached Thumbnails
Why I hate flash!-screenshot.jpg  

Last edited by ccperf721p; 19th February, 2009 at 03:39 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th February, 2009, 06:24 AM
AOA Staff

Are you serious? I've never come across a virus attached to a flash file....
Thats not cool at all.
Please don't hate flash though, hate those people who use flash for malicious intent.
Flash is such an amazing tool that allows so many new interactive ways to make internet fun.
But as you can see, some one still has nothing better to do than make some peoples life hell.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th February, 2009, 07:37 AM

It's not quite as serious as it appears at first glance, I was under linux when I got browser-jacked so having viruses on my C: drive wasn't much of concern.

The Wiki was a killer idea but lately it seems to be a safe-haven for a lot of messed up code. It's not even inventive code, even the hackers don't have much imagination these days..
Old 19th February, 2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
It's not quite as serious as it appears at first glance, I was under Linux when I got browser-jacked so having viruses on my C: drive wasn't much of concern.
The Wiki was a killer idea but lately it seems to be a safe-haven for a lot of messed up code. It's not even inventive code, even the hackers don't have much imagination these days..
Here is my naiveté coming thru.
The Two biggest reasons for the home user or the small business owner was it's stability and it's being impervious to virus, malware, spyware, or any of that junk. I saw on many occasions when looking for a good Internet Suite that x was a good one but unnecessary in Linux.
It has been a while-and i don't think I'll try Linux again any way, but it would seem to me that Linux would be in deep trouble if it has to go thought the Virus problems Windows dances through.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 19th February, 2009, 04:35 PM

Linux web browsers have to conform to the standards of the web, same as windows browsers. So while the browser was open to such an attack, the OS was not in any danger. Had I been in Windows as an admin I would have to deal with that one a little differently than just killing a process..

Last edited by ccperf721p; 19th February, 2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 19th February, 2009, 04:47 PM
AOA Staff

I see what you are saying.
So anything that Linux browsers need to see that Windows browsers need to see can allow attacks.
HTML
Javascript
Java
XML
Flash

This is a great example that Linux isn't immune to virus's. Some people think that Linux is immune because only 6% of the market uses it, but like Cliff said, if you need to view content that is Windows compatible then you have to use Windows plugins.
I bet this can apply to downloaded drivers for printers, scanners, and hardware.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 19th February, 2009, 05:16 PM

Nothing is immune, linux is much safer by design. If you think of layers then the user level would be the very top most layer in a linux system with very limited ability to change the layers below it. The privilege level for a malicious script to run and do damage to the actual system isn't granted at a user level.

This is why you see distro's like ubuntu only have a user account and don't allow for a root account on install. Keeps it simple and keeps the user safe without them actually having to do anything..
Old 19th February, 2009, 07:05 PM
Steve Jobs

Tis also what was attempted with Windows UAC. Badly.
Old 19th February, 2009, 07:54 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Tis also what was attempted with Windows UAC. Badly
. I know dsio....we were all hoping this would change....":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 20th February, 2009, 01:33 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Nothing is immune, linux is much safer by design.
Linux is no different by design than Windows in that respect. The difference is by common application.

With Linux there is nothing to stop you:
- setting up only the root account
- giving root a null password
- setting root to log in automatically to X
- starting every possible service with which your system is supplied at boot, "just in case".

This was the default behaviour on all WinNT revisions up to and including XP SP2. Being the default behaviour implemented by the (big, rich and therefore "must know what they're doing" company, MS) nobody really noticed that it was a bloody stupid way of doing business.

Oh, Linux also suffers the good fortune to have vastly more developers working on it than Windows, and to so chaotic that anything capable of doing real damage to the system will probably only manage to run on a handful of computers, as they all run different kernels, patch levels, libraries, window managers etc. Compare that with the vast monoculture of WinXP SP2 boxes...

(It has been possible on all NT-branches of Windows to implement keep Administrator for important tasks protected by a password, do day-to-day business on a restricted account and turn off services. There never was a need for UAC, which takes that and makes it "convenient", if annoying.)
Old 20th February, 2009, 01:49 AM

I will agree that there is nothing to stop me from doing those things you mentioned, outside of knowing better. The average windows user wouldn't have the capabilities to override those things mentioned..
Old 20th February, 2009, 02:01 AM

I have found this enlightning but most of all saddning--I've 'played' with acouple of distros-Mandrake, Fedora, an Ubuntu, and whil intrerestsing, I did't see anything all that much better than XP.
Before you start throwing cow pies at me ,I said 'playing' with them.
Buy every where you go-and you Linux guys know this-there is a mystyc about those that know how to use linux, the stability of linux, and it's basicly virus free.
It,s sad to see a knoch knocked out of a pedistal.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 20th February, 2009, 02:18 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
Buy every where you go-and you Linux guys know this-there is a mystyc about those that know how to use linux, the stability of linux, and it's basicly virus free.
It,s sad to see a knoch knocked out of a pedistal.
Hmm...

Code:
kaitain@wormhole ~ $ uptime
 01:19:11 up 270 days, 22 min,  2 users
Without a reboot, with one kernel update and with a couple of openssh updates. No, it's not folding (I don't want to pay for the electricity). It would have been longer but for a tiddly little power cut.

Try that with XP come Patch Tuesday
Old 20th February, 2009, 02:26 AM

Before you get the wrong idea Porpor, there was no virus attack on my rig, it was simply a browser redirect to a flash animation with a script to install software embedded. No script ran, no virus was installed and my system wasn't compromised. It's just an annoyance I have with flash and it's many vulnerabilities..

Last edited by ccperf721p; 20th February, 2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 20th February, 2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Before you get the wrong idea Porpor, there was no virus attack on my rig, it was simply a browser redirect to a flash animation with a script to install software embedded. No script ran, no virus was installed and my system wasn't compromised. It's just an annoyance I have with flash and it's many vulnerabilities..
Ok, it's funny that i felt some meloncholy when I percieved Linux had virus problems to.

Old 20th February, 2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
Hmm...

Code:
kaitain@wormhole ~ $ uptime
 01:19:11 up 270 days, 22 min,  2 users
Without a reboot, with one kernel update and with a couple of openssh updates. No, it's not folding (I don't want to pay for the electricity). It would have been longer but for a tiddly little power cut.

Try that with XP come Patch Tuesday
No, i didn't come close to 270 days-you'll notice I said "I' didn't.
There was one XP Pro SP3 clean install-mfgs drivers, CA internet suite and F@H both G client anc a C client. I don't know exactly the time-I might even be exagerating-but this baby ran 24/7 for about 3 mos and I'ts my working rig! I could never match yours buy I'm Ok with mine.

Old 20th February, 2009, 09:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

PorPorMe...if you have a spare Hard drive...you can play all day long for free! No apps to buy! They are free as well (for the most part, I don't own a single Commercial Linux app, I don't know of one I'd want to buy!).

Over the years I've spend thousands on Windows applications. Now I spend it on my PS3 games and count myself well off.":O}

To each their own, but bear in mind that Linux has grow enormously for the newbie! Easier now than ever before to find your way in a good distro.

Just a thought from one who has to pinch a penny as hard as you do! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 20th February, 2009, 09:50 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Oh, it was a fake virus warning. I thought you had a virus. Now it went from malicious to annoying. Still better than windows.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10