AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th July, 2009, 06:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Changing root ID in Mint 7

I'm trying to give Patti one of my Mint 7 drives...can the root be changed to make this her Mint...or should I start over with a clean install for her?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th July, 2009, 07:47 PM

I'd give her a clean install, just to make it her own. We can transfer files from her fedora install, but transfering settings isn't really a good idea.
Old 18th July, 2009, 08:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

No need to transfer, I have her stuff on a thumb drive...if we can give her ownership without to much hassle or messing Mint up? It's pretty nicely setup for her, just installed the OS in my name...
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd July, 2009, 12:48 AM
AOA Staff

This brings up a question....
Can you change the "root" name like changing "Administrator" in windows?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 23rd July, 2009, 01:44 AM

It can be done, but many programs rely on a root account. (Sudo for example) By changing the name, "root" no longer exists so the app will stop.

You can create an alias and give that the same UID as root, but not much point in that.
Old 23rd July, 2009, 02:33 AM
AOA Staff

thats not cool cause if someone wants to hack into a linux, the first account they will try is root.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 23rd July, 2009, 02:57 AM

Just like any OS, it is basically only as secure as the password protecting it, at least in cases of outside intrusions. Pretty much vulnerable if they get ahold of your rig though.
Old 23rd July, 2009, 04:38 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman View Post
thats not cool cause if someone wants to hack into a linux, the first account they will try is root.
Which is why any Unix/Linux admin with a clue denies remote login to the root account (and might even deny root login entirely).

In addition, you can configure logins to use certificates instead of passwords. With a decent certificate encryption, you can make hacking the shell near to impossible, even if you know a username that is valid and has the rights to su.

As far as I know, neither of these options is available with Windows. The Administrator ALWAYS has access to the box, and you can't use certificates instead of passwords (although the ability to use passphrases with, I believe, Windows XP SP2 and higher mitigates that to some degree, as does the ability to rename the Administrator account).

This MIGHT have changed with Vista and Windows Server 2008 (and maybe even with Windows 2003 domains); I have to admit I'm not completely up on that.

A little historical note: the 'root' user HAS to exist on Linux/Unix systems, because the system boots as the root user (UID 0). This is the reason why root's home directory is always /root; it has to be accessible as soon as the file system is brought up, whereas the rest of the users can be on /home, which can be on a completely different volume that is not mounted until some later point in the boot process.

As CCPerf says, there are hacks that get around this and allow you to rename the 'root' account, but AFAIK they tend to be rather ugly and break stuff.

Last edited by Gizmo; 23rd July, 2009 at 04:49 AM.
Old 23rd July, 2009, 04:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Looks like it's a fresh install then. Thanks guys, always a big help knowing what's worth trying and what is not!! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 23rd July, 2009, 11:13 PM
AOA Staff

Guess I don't have a clue because I don't know how to deny remote login in Linux.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 24th July, 2009, 12:20 AM

Biggest security risk in linux is ssh, if you have no need to login remotely to your rig, just disable ssh. I think most distros use /etc/services as the master file now, but I am not positive.

If you do have a need to login remotely, then deny root login through ssh config file. It's usually under /etc/ssh or similar

Other things I will do is move the listen port for ssh from the default of 22 to something else. Make em guess at which port it is.

I will also use some simple iptable rules to limit the number of login attempts to 6 per minute, (slows down brute-force attacks to the point they are innefective).

While a lot of people will say using sudo is safer than su'ing to root, I don't. If they do manage to come up with your username and password through ssh, then they can just use sudo to do whatever they want because they already have the password.

There are also a ton of scripts out there that can monitor logs and then perform an action based on what is happening.

Last edited by ccperf721p; 24th July, 2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 24th July, 2009, 12:25 AM
AOA Staff

Great tips Cliff!
I bet that I can disable SSH in my services and that would do it.
I'll have to do some research on "listen port" to figure out how to change it. And I'll have to do some research on how to change the login attempts. These tips help a lot because someday I know that I'll setup a Linux server for someone and I'll need to secure it from the rest of the world.
Thanks
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 24th July, 2009, 03:04 AM

besides disabling the sshd service, you might also want to chkconfig sshd off. this will prevent the sshd service from getting started after a reboot.
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2x2G@1081mhz
CORSAIR 620W (620HX)
THERMALTAKE KANDALF LCS

Last edited by MightyMar22; 24th July, 2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 24th July, 2009, 04:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I reinstalled Patti in Mint all went very well":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 24th July, 2009, 05:46 PM

If and when you update it see if it updates the kernel. My mint powered system is still holding back the kernel update, so I'm thinking your system allowed the kernel update to slip through before it was flagged and the rest of the updates are now breaking because of it..
Old 24th July, 2009, 06:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I've updated Everything in 2# and 3# column, nothing in the 1# column. No Mint System files. Haven't had time to retry them and see if I need to restore...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur