AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th August, 2009, 05:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Linux is booming, but unpaid adoption may hurt vendors

Written by Daniel
Wednesday, 19 August 2009

Even as the recession continues to cool CIO appetites for software purchases, Linux is bucking the trend, according to a new IDC report.

August 19, 2009 4:27 AM PDT
by Matt Asay

IDC is projecting Linux revenue to expand at a compound annual growth rate of 16.9 percent from 2008 to 2013, topping $1.2 billion in 2013.

As IDC notes, this growth will comprise just 4 percent of total software market revenue by 2013, up from 2.2 percent in 2008. However, for the second time, IDC has also examined nonpaid deployments of Linux, revealing some troubling data.

[Front page...]
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th August, 2009, 06:48 PM

I'm still trying to figure this article out. RedHat sells support and updates for free software it packages and sticks some copyrighted logos in, not the actual software. The software will always be free, unless RH is trying to change that.
Old 19th August, 2009, 07:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I'm with CCPerf here; I'm a little lost as to what the argument is.

RedHat isn't in the business of selling Redhat Enterprise Linux (RHEL). RedHat is in the business of selling service and support for RHEL.

Now, there might be (probably are) companies that are running 5 copies of RHEL when they only have one server support contract, and any time they have a problem, they use the same contract number for all 5 of their servers, but that doesn't make the copies of RHEL illegal; it only puts them in violation of the terms of their support agreement.

Indeed, the fact that CentOS exists at all (CentOS is compiled from the same sources as RHEL, and in fact IS RHEL, just without the RedHat branding) would seem to prove that there's no such thing as an illegal copy of RHEL.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th August, 2009, 08:12 PM

Then there is the segment: "They spend 100 million a year developing linux (doubt this accurate) and they make over 300 million a year. Poor RedHat, hope they survive... I spend 60 -70 K a year developing my business, I make about 50K each year before taxes..
Old 19th August, 2009, 09:19 PM

CC, shouldn't you be bankrupt then? those are not good ratios.
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2x2G@1081mhz
CORSAIR 620W (620HX)
THERMALTAKE KANDALF LCS
Old 19th August, 2009, 09:51 PM

I should have said I make ~110K, but the 50K is what I actually get in my pocket before the gov get's theirs. It was quite a bit less when I had an employee or 2. Still haven't figured out how I make more money by myself, than I did with 2 employees..

Last edited by ccperf721p; 19th August, 2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 19th August, 2009, 11:08 PM
Steve Jobs

Another slice of RH's pie is the training. They actually do it better than 95% of vendors out there, resulting in vastly superior in house support staff on RH software than most others, (try comparing an RHCE to an MCSE for an example).
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles