AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th September, 2009, 03:09 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

the controversy begins re: the BFS scheduler and Con Kolivas

It's starting already. Wonder how long 'til Linus has something to say...

Slashdot Linux Story | Con Kolivas Returns, With a Desktop-Oriented Linux Scheduler
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th September, 2009, 04:26 PM

I'm sure it won't be long.

I'm sure it will be poked and prodded until it is a dead project, then someone will steal the code, excuse me, "rewrite the code" leaving out the parts that actually work.

It is the linux purist way, I guess. Maybe if they would dual boot Windows and play some BF2 things would be different. Since there isn't a whole lot of room for big egos in a fair competition things will be the same as they always are.. Trolling and flame wars..

EDIT: We'll see how this turns out, but BSD is starting to look good to me again.

Last edited by ccperf721p; 7th September, 2009 at 04:27 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th September, 2009, 04:58 PM

The whole crux of the argument is that the devs want one kernel for all purposes, and CK says that isn't realistic, seeing as the vast majority of users aren't running 8/16/32 etc CPUs...would it really be so bad to have a choice of kernels where one would be more "setup" for your box?

His code should work well for low latencies up to 16 cores, then there's a performance hit.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]

Old 7th September, 2009, 06:21 PM

The argument is invalid in the open source world though. FOSS is not a democracy, the developer of any software can write it any way he desires, if the software doesn't sit well with you, you are free to change any of the code you like.. Once we try to force a dev to do something we want, the entire foundation of open source crumbles..

For all intensive purposes we already have a choice in kernels, by way of various patchsets, including bfs. Upstream development of the 2.6 kernel has been less than impressive, so if a downstream coder wants to take it on and make it work, I'm more for than that than relying on Linus and Co.

Last edited by ccperf721p; 7th September, 2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 7th September, 2009, 06:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

If possible, can one of you break this down for me...What does the BFS schedule do and what if any impact will this have for desk top users?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 7th September, 2009, 06:45 PM

BFS is a cpu scheduler, there are a few different schedulers in the mainstream kernel, such as Deadline, Anticipatory and CFQ.

They basically decide when and what app gets what cycles of the CPU. A desktop that runs multiple apps will need the bandwidth spread out more evenly so that it is very responsive to inputs. A server that runs one app or many CPU's can pretty much run one task until it is finished, then move to the other.
Old 7th September, 2009, 07:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

To expand on CCPerf's explanation:

The cpu scheduler is the part of the O/S that decides how CPU cycles get allocated. This has an impact on all system operations, as it controls how 'responsive' the system is to particular events.

For a desktop O/S, it is far more important that the forground application (the one the user is in) react quickly to user input than it is that a particular task run to completion without interruption. This is referred to as 'response latency'. The downside to this is the scheduler has to switch tasks more frequently. This results in the O/S spending more time in the kernel and less time handling application processing. This results in increased 'system latency', where a background application may have to wait longer for cpu time because the user is doing something in a foreground app. For a good user experience, though, this is an acceptable tradeoff. It doesn't matter if a particular background task takes a few seconds longer to complete, so long as the USER isn't sitting there waiting for a mouse-click or keypress to be recognized.

For a server app, maximum efficiency is more important than 'response latency', as is equal distribution of cpu cycles. A typical server setup will switch tasks less frequently so as to ensure less time is spent in the kernel and more time processing the applications. In this realm, we want as much cpu time as possible spent running the application, and it's not uncommon for server applications to have 10s to 100s of threads running concurrently, which means that we don't want to waste a lot of resources switching between them.

For embedded applications, it is frequently the case that predictability ('determinism') is the paramount consideration: when a particular task needs to run, it needs to run Right Now. This results in a whole new set of requirements and tradeoffs, many of which are undesirable for either the server or desktop environment.

In addition, the more CPUs (or CPU cores) you are running, the more that high numbers of task switches impact performance. The reason for this is due to the fact that frequently the CPU a task last ran on is not currently available. The scheduler then has to make a choice, make the task wait until its prefered CPU is available or switch the task to another CPU. Switching the task to another CPU is a hugely expensive operation because all of the thread context information and cache data will have to be transferred to the new CPU. If you have an environment optimized for response to the user (a desktop), then it is quite likely you will incur this overhead frequently, especially as you add CPUs. At some point, you are switching between CPUs so frequently that you've lost any response benefit you might have gotten. For servers, you'd rather let the task wait and take advantage of all the cached data on its preferred CPU than to take on all that extra overhead.

That's the gist of what schedulers do. As with any complex problem, there are a number of different ways to approach the problem, and a number of different solutions. Worse, most of the solutions are completely valid for the set of problems they are trying to solve. As a consequence, there isn't any 'right' answer for a generic kernel; only for a particular load.

To complicate matters more, the load that a server experiences might actually CHANGE, meaning that the approapriate scheduler to use a 10 a.m. might not be the appropriate one to use at 10 p.m.

I understand Linus' desire for a single kernel scheduler that can handle all use cases, and I think it might even be possible to eventually get there. I also think that it is foolish to insist on that solution now. There are a number of different ideas floating around in the dev community. Seems to me like we ought to let them air out and see which ones actually prove to be viable. There's no lack of people willing to try them out.

Last edited by Gizmo; 7th September, 2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 7th September, 2009, 11:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Many thanks guys, I think I have the basic idea.":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 9th September, 2009, 08:42 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you Gizmo and ccperf721p. Great explanations, you guys rule!
Old 9th September, 2009, 10:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
To expand on CCPerf's explanation:

I understand Linus' desire for a single kernel scheduler that can handle all use cases, and I think it might even be possible to eventually get there. I also think that it is foolish to insist on that solution now. There are a number of different ideas floating around in the dev community. Seems to me like we ought to let them air out and see which ones actually prove to be viable. There's no lack of people willing to try them out.
Or as Mint logo states "From freedom came elegance."
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 10th September, 2009, 02:12 AM

Sometimes reading threads like this makes me feel as smart as an earthworm!
I've learned a lot on my own, meaning forums like this and other ways but my left testicle for an education!

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 10th September, 2009, 01:44 PM
Steve Jobs

At this point in the lkml skirmish, I think Ingo's Johnson is still 5mm longer than Con's. /popcorn.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 10th September, 2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
At this point in the lkml skirmish, I think Ingo's Johnson is still 5mm longer than Con's. /popcorn.
Could be, but Ingo may be getting a lot more "strokes"...(atm)...[as I hop over to the mailing list]...

Last edited by ThunderRd; 10th September, 2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10th September, 2009, 05:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Remember it's not what you have but how badly others use it! (Just to keep a perspective...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 15th September, 2009, 05:57 PM
Steve Jobs

Phoronix did a review of BFS that will raise more eyebrows.

[Phoronix] BFS Scheduler Benchmarks
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 21st January, 2011, 07:23 AM
Banned

Лучшая рок гр&

Народ давайте рассказывайте кто что слушает, а я добавлю в свой плейлист и вам за это плюсик в репу
Old 21st January, 2011, 09:19 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopsbroorecob View Post
Народ давайте рассказывайте кто что слушает, а я добавлю в свой плейлист и вам за это плюсик в репу
I disagree wholeheartedly and would remind you that personal and offensive remarks about Cloasters' pet cat are not tolerated under any circumstances as per forum rules.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 7th February, 2011, 10:59 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
I disagree wholeheartedly and would remind you that personal and offensive remarks about Cloasters' pet cat are not tolerated under any circumstances as per forum rules.
UNLESS....
You post it in the Pets section of our forums!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur