AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th December, 2009, 07:35 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
Truth is, I really don't care if RH makes money with linux. I am just frustrated to the point of giving up, due to a few factors. Linux is not capable of doing much more for me than it was 6 years ago, yet it has become increasingly complex, larger, slower, and always changing. While I don't mind learning, I do get tired of putting in the time to learn something, only to have to learn more or something completely different to keep the same functionality. It's kind of waste of time to have to learn more to do the exact same thing I was doing a few days prior to the update. What linux truly lacks is a vision of what the end product will be.

It would be like me building an engine by just throwing random parts in a block, then hitting the key only to find out it doesn't do what I wanted it to do. Then repeating the same process over and over again with other randomly selected parts hoping for a desirable result.

In the end it won't much matter, I will have to move away from linux for the simple fact of needing a platform that will remain consistent for a few years at a time.
If you quit swimming I might drown! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 14th December, 2009 at 07:54 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th December, 2009, 07:41 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

To be honest a part of the reason I want to continue to fight the up hill battle to keep Fedora functional for me is to keep conversations like this one going, you guys are great teachers once you start to open up! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th December, 2009, 08:07 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Talking

TY !!!!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 14th December, 2009, 10:48 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Err......Kaitain? Although you're right, you're wrong.
Blast, what has Fedora done to their rpms in 12? Now I can't use rpm2cpio | cpio -i -d to produce a meaningful extract of files. All I wanted was a look at their initrd *wail*

Guess I'll have to take your word for it *mumble mumble*
Old 14th December, 2009, 02:23 PM
Benchmarker

Question: Would teamviewer work under wine Kaitain?
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 14th December, 2009, 04:34 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Why bother? Gnome and KDE both have perfectly good VNC and RDP clients and server apps built in

I'd imagine you'd get rather strange results trying to use teamviewer over wine, anyway...

Last edited by Kaitain; 14th December, 2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 14th December, 2009, 06:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
Sorry I didn't make it back sooner...[Daniel@loca
Heh, no worries. su and do the following:

Code:
cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
Show me the output from that.
Old 14th December, 2009, 06:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
When KMS is disabled, the Fedora initrd script falls back to the old fbsplash code instead.
I've been doing some more research on Plymouth.
First, it isn't Fedora-only, apparently several distros are using it, including Debian (and I assume Ubuntu).

Second, any driver that uses KMS activates it. However, you CAN activate it MANUALLY by specifiying a valid vga= setting, even if you have disabled KMS.

Third, the bar at the bottom IS a text-mode bootup: it still uses Plymouth, but uses the text plugin, rather than one of the graphical plugins. I'm guessing that the progress bar is generated using the old ANSI text-mode graphics chars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitain
I remember in the dim and distant past persuading D~ to let me ssh into his machine to set up nvidia drivers and TwinView.
Yeah, I remember you doing that too. I wasn't sure I wanted to get into that. Looking back, it might have been easier to do, but it's the old "give a man a fish/teach a man to fish" thing.

Last edited by Gizmo; 14th December, 2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 14th December, 2009, 06:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Drivers are a part of a piece of hardware as such I consider them to be a thing apart, not software but a software connection to a given piece of hardware. When I buy hardware I buy that connection to make the hardware work.

WHY SHOULD open source waste time when the hardware manufacture has already provided me with, what will in all probability, remain the best driver solution. Mint has breezed past fedora in usability and I think, that not wasting time on drivers that are available for FREE (once you buy the hardware.) is probably a big part of the reason why.
That's all well and good Daniel, but how much hardware have you thrown away over the years, not because it was defective, but because you upgraded Windows and the company that made the hardware had not released drivers for the new version, and the drivers for the old version no longer worked?

At least with open source drivers, you have the CHOICE of getting someone to make the drivers work (or making them work yourself) or buying new hardware. Fundamentally, that's what this argument is about; having that choice.

I suspect that Kaitain is right that MS have some leverage of some sort, but it only holds with the larger vendors. What I actually suspect is that MS have an agreement with the likes of HP/Lexmark/Hitachi/etc. that they get either a substantial reduction in support fees, or they get dev support for free IF they agree to support hardware from the last generation of OS on the NEW OS, but that's just guesswork on my part.

There IS an OSS project to help develop OSS drivers for proprietary hardware, and the devs involved have even agreed to sign NDAs with the manufacturers in order to protect trade secrets and such. That project has not gotten as much traction as hoped, though.

(sigh)A LOT of this problem would go away if the U.S. had sane patent laws, IMO.
Old 14th December, 2009, 07:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Heh, no worries. su and do the following:

Code:
cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
Show me the output from that.
The Fedora 12 start up Oval is back this morning! ":O}

[Daniel@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost Daniel]# cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root nouveau.modeset=0 vga=0x31B rdblacklist=nouveau
# initrd /initrd-[generic-]version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=0
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.31.6-166.fc12.x86_64)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.31.6-166.fc12.x86_64 ro root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet nouveau.modeset=0 vga=0x31B rdblacklist=nouveau
initrd /initramfs-2.6.31.6-166.fc12.x86_64.img
title Fedora (2.6.31.6-145.fc12.x86_64)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.31.6-145.fc12.x86_64 ro root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet nouveau.modeset=0 vga=0x31B rdblacklist=nouveau
initrd /initramfs-2.6.31.6-145.fc12.x86_64.img
[root@localhost Daniel]#
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 14th December, 2009, 09:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Right, now CTRL-ALT-F2

Enter root for the username and then give root's password.

It should NOT take more than a few seconds for the screen to blank and then present the login prompt. However, once you've logged in, it will take a few minutes for the compile to finish and for you to reboot.
Old 14th December, 2009, 09:03 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Giving it a shot now...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 14th December, 2009, 09:08 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Are you sitting down? ":O}

It completely scrambled my screen...if a login was there I couldn't make it out....sigh...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 14th December, 2009, 09:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

sigh

Daniel, I think every machine you touch just becomes haunted......LOL

Do you know how to get to the admin page of your router?
Old 14th December, 2009, 09:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Long long ago I did, can't remember now. I have the instruction sheet out and looking it over now..
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 14th December, 2009, 09:20 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

OK found it on the last page. OK Im in on the online config page "setup Wizard" etc.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 14th December, 2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 14th December, 2009, 09:23 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Daniel, I think every machine you touch just becomes haunted
You are not the first nor are you alone in holding this view!!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 14th December, 2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 14th December, 2009, 09:36 PM
Benchmarker

Same thing my friends tell me. But using Windows I can always press Ctrl+Alt+Del and kill the ghosts !! Thats why using windows is simple and it makes the user happy.

Old 14th December, 2009, 09:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

At lest it keeps the simple user happy...':O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 14th December, 2009, 11:22 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
OK found it on the last page. OK Im in on the online config page "setup Wizard" etc.
Ok, somewhere there should be an option to open particular ports on the router. I want you to configure the router to allow SSH connections to your computer.

BTW, which router is it?

Tags
driver , fedora 12 , install , linux , nvidia