AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th November, 2009, 12:13 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Looking for a ogg to MP3 coverter

I want to load my music collection on to my PS3. My PS3 doesn't seem to recognize my ogg files. so I need a Mint 7 (Gloria) converter.... looked about quite a bit and could not find one, does any one know of one the will do the job for me?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th November, 2009, 12:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Repo Man Send a message via AIM to Repo Man

AfterDawn.com: Guides: Convert OGG to MP3

Edit: oops, didn't notice this was for Linux.

It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull.
H. L. Mencken

Last edited by Repo Man; 15th November, 2009 at 12:52 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th November, 2009, 02:00 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Daniel, do you still have the original media that you ripped from? If so, you'll be much better off to simply re-rip to mp3. Both ogg and mp3 are highly compressed formats, but they compress in different ways, with the result being that if you convert from one to the other, the audio is likely going to sound pretty bad. At the very least, it's going to sound worse after the conversion to MP3 than it will if you rip straigth to MP3, and it's likely going to sound MUCH worse.

If you haven't still got the media, then you can use something like Audacity to convert them (one at a time). If you want to batch convert, there are some tools to do that, but so far as I know they all run from the command line.
Old 15th November, 2009, 03:26 AM

I'd have to agree with Gizmo on this, but if you really need something to do it try gnac, should be able to sudo apt-get install gnac. If this is a music collection that was previously in another format, then converted to off and now going back to mp3 it may not be worth the hassle for the audio quality you will end up with.

If you need a copy and paste for the command line I can probably come up with something pretty quick.

I never really used ogg, I pretty much stick to flac on my computer and convert to a decent bitrate mp3 for throwing on the player.
Old 15th November, 2009, 07:33 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

We are talk about just over 400 disks...":O} But I hear you guys...I'll wait until I have the energy to re rip them...sigh.. I orignally ripped them to ogg (which I thought was the best format... just like me hey! ":O}

When I do re-rip them which is the best format for sound quality?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 15th November, 2009, 04:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I would still recommend OGG, unless my goal were to play it on a PS3 or I simply found the lossiness of OGG to be unacceptable (in which case, pretty much all lossy compressed formats would be unacceptable).

FLAC is a very nice audio compression format that will cut the size of the audio roughly in half compared to raw audio, but is not a lossy format. Unfortunately, it is not supported by the PS3.

Because it is not a lossy format, however, you should be able to convert it to another format without having to re-rip.

If the ultimate in audio quality is not your highest criterion but playing on the PS3 is one of your requirements then your best bet is probably to use Lame and encode as MP3. From what I've read, the quality should be very close to OGG, and it should play on your PS3. The reason I specify Lame as the encoder is because it uses a different encoding engine than the reference standard (Fraunhoffer) and is generally agreed to produce better results.
Old 15th November, 2009, 05:04 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Audacity should handle it.
Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

I've used it a lot when making and dealing with music. Works just fine on Linux as well.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 15th November, 2009, 07:56 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
I would still recommend OGG, unless my goal were to play it on a PS3 or I simply found the lossiness of OGG to be unacceptable (in which case, pretty much all lossy compressed formats would be unacceptable).

FLAC is a very nice audio compression format that will cut the size of the audio roughly in half compared to raw audio, but is not a lossy format. Unfortunately, it is not supported by the PS3.

Because it is not a lossy format, however, you should be able to convert it to another format without having to re-rip.

If the ultimate in audio quality is not your highest criterion but playing on the PS3 is one of your requirements then your best bet is probably to use Lame and encode as MP3. From what I've read, the quality should be very close to OGG, and it should play on your PS3. The reason I specify Lame as the encoder is because it uses a different encoding engine than the reference standard (Fraunhoffer) and is generally agreed to produce better results.
Ok summarize for the very slow....

If you were me and you wanted to put the best quality sound you could on your PS3 ( don't want to mess with my disks anymore, too lazy...) What would you do? If possible link to the ripper and/or converted you would use? in Fedora 11 or Mint 7
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 15th November, 2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 15th November, 2009, 09:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Use Audacity (which is installed by default in F11, I think; if not 'yum install audicity' should do the trick) and convert to MP3. You'll need to also have the LAME encoder installed. Again, I believe it is installed by default on F11, but if it isn't, 'yum install lame' should do it.

To convert, simply load the file, and then select 'Export' on the 'File' menu. This will bring up a dialog allowing to edit various fields (Artist Name, Track Title, etc.). Unless you have a real need to mess with these, leave them along and just click 'Ok'. This will bring you to a 'Save As' dialog where you can choose the filename and location to save as, and also the output audio format. Choose the format you want (in this case, MP3) and rock.

That's the highly manual, one-at-a-time way. I'm not familiar with the command-line batch tools for Linux.
Old 15th November, 2009, 11:15 PM
Member/Contributer

There is a tool that I use in Ubuntu called Sound Converter

Has a few options and you select a folder to convert - it automatically includes sub folders. It has an easy to use GUI and is pretty good at the conversion

Had a quick look into Mint (live CD) and it seems to be there.

To install in linux Mint (if using apt)
Code:
sudo apt-get install soundconverter
First setup your preferences - Edit -> Preferences
Then choose your folder and sub-folders
Then select 'Convert' and wait till its done.
It will pickup and take across any id3 tags you have.

EDIT:

If you are wanting to rip CD's using a GUI, maybe ripperX, it is GUI based and has several easily configured options.

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ripperx && sudo apt-get install mpg123 && sudo apt-get install sox && sudo apt-get install cdtool && sudo apt-get install flac && sudo apt-get install toolame

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H

Last edited by noob; 16th November, 2009 at 03:43 AM.
Old 16th November, 2009, 11:40 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

It seems that someone needs a suitable streaming server that'll start with lossless compression, and then convert on the fly to whatever format the end device requires...
Old 16th November, 2009, 12:12 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Talking of that - doesn't MediaTomb provide on the fly transcoding, meaning you wouldn't need to convert the files? That would mean the PS3 would need to use uPnP for discovering the media, but I thought it already supported that?
Old 16th November, 2009, 05:08 PM
Steve Jobs

Man, don't even start with that.

The PS3's uPNP support ranges from spotty, to non existent. I own 4 routers, and it won't even talk to 3/4 of them. The one it works with is a netgear mr814 (802.11b only) while the dg834pn dg834n and d-link give stupid errors which the router maker blames on the ps3, and sony blames on the router.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 16th November, 2009, 08:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'm waiting, collecting all the data our forums wants to provide me with...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 16th November, 2009, 10:51 PM

I would install soundconvertor and do it that way, but if you want to hit something from the command line this should do what you need.

Open a terminal and cd to your music directory

Code:
for x in *.ogg;do oggdec -o - "$x"|lame -h -V 2 –-vbr-new - "$(basename "$x" .ogg).mp3";done

Last edited by ccperf721p; 16th November, 2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 17th November, 2009, 01:06 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thanks one and all!
A bit of further advice would be appreciated! Looking for the higest quality my PS3 can/will play. I don't know much about music file and bit rates etc...What are my best settings? Hints and tips!? ":O}

(How about a litte Gaugin while we wait!!)
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for a ogg to MP3 coverter-sound-converter.png   Looking for a ogg to MP3 coverter-gauguin-copt.jpg  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 17th November, 2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 17th November, 2009, 01:57 AM

The PS3 can handle any bitrate, I would just leave the settings as you have them so it can keep as much of the quality from the ogg as possible.
Old 17th November, 2009, 04:29 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Sound Converter is good, so I'd stick with that as far as software goes.

For the choice between CBR and VBR, CBR encodes everything at the same quality. VBR chooses a lower bitrate for sections that the algorithm believes are less interesting and increases the bitrate for the more interesting bits.

While this is OK if your taste is hard rock and metal, if you try encoding most classical music with mp3 and vbr, most of the wind section will sound like it's played on a kazoo.

For the choice of bitrate: if your goal is sound quality, more is better. However, I've found ogg to mp3 and mp3 to ogg both give passable quality if:
- the source file was encoded at a high bitrate, CBR
- the destination file is encoded at a lower bitrate, CBR or VBR.

So a file encoded at 320kbps will recode with acceptable quality at, say, 280kbps.

Overall it depends on the music you're recoding. Best to try various settings on one track, then use the one you like the sound of best.
Old 17th November, 2009, 07:03 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thanks K.!

I ran into an unexpected problem! all files coveted with a double wrapper... file in files in files type thing...here what all my new mp 3 file look like when I'm trying to open the file.... My PS3 doesn't see my 16 gig thumb drive... have reason to believe it's the thumb drive ( had trouble with the PS3 seeing it in the past) but it could be the double wrapping...I have a 4 gig thumb drive that has worked before and I can try that once the files are made single wrapped. Naturally I can re-convert if I need to, but want to know what to do to prevent this!

I used the settings in the picture I put up here yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for a ogg to MP3 coverter-doubble-wraped.png  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 17th November, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 19th November, 2009, 01:53 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I figured it all by my self...so there! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur