AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th December, 2009, 10:44 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

So the answer to "would it take to give that machine a better connection" seems to be "cutting the brakes on a few scooters"...

As you already have Sabayon installed, you might as well have a look over what's there - get familiar with the config files, init system and check out the man pages for emerge, eselect and equery. That'll keep you occupied while waiting for a line to become vacant and get you used to the "gentoo" layout.

Last edited by Kaitain; 10th December, 2009 at 10:44 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th December, 2009, 12:22 AM

I have a few different Gentoo installs tar'd up on my server, a couple of them compiled for Core2 on an Intel based board with nvidia gfx. One with Gentoo-sources for a kernel, the other using zen. Desktop might be an issue though as I'm sure those installs are using E17. Welcome to it if you want though. Just have to untar it and configure to your rig and preferences.
Old 15th December, 2009, 03:05 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Likewise you can have my laptop's instance: compiled for core2 on an SiS-based board with unofficial ATi gfx and gentoo-sources. Desktop environment is KDE 4.3. Only ext2 and ext3 are built into the kernel so / will have to be ext3 unless your initrd-fu is good (I don't use one).

Chances are when using someone else's install you'll have to chroot into it from a boot disk and recompile your own kernel before it'll boot first.