AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th December, 2009, 06:13 AM

Any way to get a webkit browser to display site properly?

I am running UZBL for a browser at the moment, light, fast and the vim-like keybindings make it pretty easy to control. Only problem I have is it doesn't display all webpages the same as firefox or IE does. I attached a screenshot to show the difference in the drop down menu bar. (the one that contains UserCP, Arcade etc etc). The Quick Links option is the one I miss the most.

I had the same problem with Midori, both Midori and UZBL use webkit.

Is there something I can change to get it to render the page the same as firefox and IE? I am growing quite fond of my stripped down system, Speed, relaibility and productivity has gone way up since I got rid of all the items that weren't needed.

Edit: Forgot to attach..

Edit 2.. Seems UZBL doesn't understand the manage attachments button either.. Back to the drawing board to figure that part out first...

Last edited by ccperf721p; 16th December, 2009 at 06:16 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th December, 2009, 06:36 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

It might have some problems with javascript, or perhaps its DOM (Document Object Model) implementation isn't quite up to snuff.

Unfortunately, CSS is rather difficult to get right, especially on a small footprint browser. It's possible that the CSS implementation isn't quite up to par.

The items you mention specifically all have in common the fact that they make use of either javascript, CSS, or both.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th December, 2009, 03:32 PM

Seems to be the nature of the beast these days. It's either a bad implementation of a good idea or forced implementation of a bad idea. Regardless, I don't have the skills to fix either one. It will probably be a little while before I have the skills as well. It's a lot harder to learn this stuff 30 minutes at a time over my morning coffee than I thought it would be.

Anyway, I included the screenshot so you could see what is displayed.
Attached Thumbnails
Any way to get a webkit browser to display site properly?-screen1.jpg  
Old 16th December, 2009, 05:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yeah, what you are seeing is due to vBulletin's 'fallback' functionality. It has detected that the browser you are using doesn't support all the javascript stuff it needs, so it has fallen back to a reduced functionality mode that still provides the essentials.
Old 16th December, 2009, 05:47 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Hmm, Konqueror (KHTML, or "the other WebKit") looks like that if javascript is turned off.

EDIT: Post clash. Gizmo wins!

Last edited by Kaitain; 16th December, 2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 16th December, 2009, 07:55 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion..."

Have you tried sugar K.?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 16th December, 2009, 09:08 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion..."

Have you tried sugar K.?
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of caffeine myself, but hey, if he prefers Spice from Arakis, who am I to argue?
Old 16th December, 2009, 11:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

A great big worm? ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 17th December, 2009, 05:40 AM

Thanks for the info. A quick google didn't turn up much on getting it to work so I'll save it for another day.

I've been pushing pretty hard for a few months and decided it was now or never, so I sent in my application for an MMA license. I'm still about 3 months away from being fight ready, but most everything is in place. Didn't spend much time working on my Jujitsu, as it's just not my thing. Pretty much just been working on my hands and takedown defense. We'll see how it goes, if nothing else I'll end up with some video footage to remind me that getting older isn't really a bad thing..
Old 17th December, 2009, 08:39 AM

Vending Machines

Greet Post!!!

Last edited by vendingmac; 17th December, 2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 17th December, 2009, 09:36 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

I think I might have to lay off Arrakeen spice. I seem to have woken up in a parallel universe!

Back to coffee it is, then.
Old 17th December, 2009, 07:55 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
Thanks for the info. A quick google didn't turn up much on getting it to work so I'll save it for another day.

I've been pushing pretty hard for a few months and decided it was now or never, so I sent in my application for an MMA license. I'm still about 3 months away from being fight ready, but most everything is in place. Didn't spend much time working on my Jujitsu, as it's just not my thing. Pretty much just been working on my hands and takedown defense. We'll see how it goes, if nothing else I'll end up with some video footage to remind me that getting older isn't really a bad thing..
I wish you the very best, try to stay health and in one piece...stay away from Fedor!! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur