AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th August, 2010, 03:44 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Some confusion re: layman/gentoo

OK, so if I want to emerge an official overlay, like desktop-effects, I set up this way in /etc/make.conf

Code:
##/etc/make.conf

CFLAGS="-march=opteron -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
# Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"

# These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided by the
# profile used for building.
USE="$USE mmx sse sse2 -gnome -kde -qt4 -minimal firefox branding dbus jpeg lock session startup-notification"
USE="$USE thunar X xcb svg emerald dvdr alsa cdr lm_sensors threads ncurses python tiff zlib uuid ipv6 ldap"
USE="$USE opengl truetype udev unicode png cairo acpi gnutls symlink"

MAKEOPTS="-j3"

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"

INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"

VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"

##for official Portage overlays
source "/var/lib/layman/make.conf"

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirrors.rit.edu/gentoo/"

SYNC="rsync://rsync.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
Now, as I understand it, if I want to use a 3rd-party source for an overlay, I have to create the following:

/usr/local/portage/layman
/usr/local/portage/layman/make.conf
/usr/local/portage/<name of overlay_here>

Then I have to make portage aware that the unsupported overlays are to be placed in /usr/local/portage/<x/y>, rather than in /var/lib. For this, I found these instructions in the Gentoo documentation:

Quote:
5.b. Adding Unofficial Ebuilds

Defining a Portage Overlay Directory

You can ask Portage to use ebuilds that are not officially available through the Portage tree. Create a new directory (for instance /usr/local/portage) in which you store the 3rd-party ebuilds. Use the same directory structure as the official Portage tree!

Then define PORTDIR_OVERLAY in /etc/make.conf and have it point to the previously defined directory. When you use Portage now, it will take those ebuilds into account as well without removing/overwriting those ebuilds the next time you run emerge --sync.

Code Listing 2.1: Using layman to update all repositories

# layman -S
Would these lines be correct to accomplish the above, that is, making the 3rd-party overlays available:

Code:
##for unofficial 3rd-party overlays
source "/usr/local/portage/layman/make.conf"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="${PORTDIR_OVERLAY} /usr/local/portage/"
I don't think this would be quite right, wouldn't the first line conflict with the already existing SOURCE line in /etc/make.conf?
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 20th August, 2010 at 05:37 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th August, 2010, 06:20 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
I don't think this would be quite right, wouldn't the first line conflict with the already existing SOURCE line in /etc/make.conf?
It wouldn't conflict so much as call it twice. You may end up with some environment variables containing duplicate information, which shouldn't matter.

If you want to segregate your official and unofficial overlays you can do the way you showed, however I think it's actually more work than just defining PORTDIR_OVERLAY once and appending your new paths to that.
Old 20th August, 2010, 08:15 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Well, yes, there are other steps...unmasking the packages, editing /etc/portage/package.keywords, etc, etc... There are lots of things to get clear but I think I'm on the right track

Today I emerged layman and the desktop-effects overlay...I have been using cairo-dock on all of my linux installs for the last couple years, but it isn't in portage. However it is part of the d-e overlay. I did have to do a couple of other steps - the guides I found are a bit outdated and there were some version mismatches until I discovered how to get the packages properly unmasked. After that it was fairly easy. I probably don't need to have more than a couple of unofficial packages, but it's good to know how to handle them.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th August, 2010, 09:22 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

You'll also have an easier life if you add >=sys-apps/portage-2.2_pre to your /etc/package.unmask. Portage-2.2 is brilliant, with support for sets and for /etc/portage/package.* to be directories containing more reasonably-named text files with your favourite use flags, keywords etc.

Not sure where the "there are other steps" bit came in, but it's a Friday so have a beer...