AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th August, 2010, 03:34 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Gentoo OpenRC Migration

After running a world update, emerge is complaining that /etc/conf.d/rc is now deprecated and settings must be migrated into /etc/rc.conf. According the the references I have, /conf.d/rc is to be deleted after the migration.

baselayout2 and openrc have been emerged.

I see that some settings in /conf.d/rc are also in the generated rc.conf. To enable these I can simply remove the comment hash. But there are many other settings in /conf.d/rc that are not mentioned in the new rc.conf. Do I just copy them over, or is there a specific protocol for this migration?

Attached are both files. Thanks to anyone who can pitch in
Attached Files
File Type: zip conf.d.zip (3.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: zip rc.conf.zip (2.1 KB, 45 views)
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 24th August, 2010 at 04:25 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th August, 2010, 06:46 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Gentoo have a migration guide here: Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Baselayout and OpenRC Migration Guide

I migrated my system to baselayout-2 a while back (like a couple months ago, because I'm running ~amd64 for testing selinux). I don't remember the specifics, but it was pretty painless.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th August, 2010, 06:55 AM

Chris, that is the same guide I'm looking at. You're right, it doesn't seem difficult, but here's the part that doesn't help me much:

Quote:
2. Migration to OpenRC

Migration to OpenRC is fairly straightforward; it will be pulled in as part of your regular upgrade process by your package manager. The most important step actually comes after you install the new >=sys-apps/baselayout-2 and sys-apps/openrc packages. It is critical that you run dispatch-conf and ensure your /etc is up to date before rebooting. Failure to do so will result in an unbootable system and will require the use of the Gentoo LiveCD to perform the steps below to repair your system.

Once you've finished updating your config files, there are a few things to verify prior to rebooting.

/etc/conf.d/rc

/etc/conf.d/rc has been deprecated and any settings you have in there will need to be migrated to the appropriate settings in /etc/rc.conf. Please read through /etc/rc.conf and /etc/conf.d/rc and migrate the settings. Once you are complete, delete /etc/conf.d/rc.
"Please read through /etc/rc.conf and /etc/conf.d/rc and migrate the settings." That's all it says, so do they mean to simply copy the settings as they are, directly into the rc file? Or do they have to be massaged in some way? "Read through..." seems to imply that there are decisions to be made. Or maybe I'm thinking too much
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]

Last edited by ThunderRd; 24th August, 2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 24th August, 2010, 07:53 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Some things that OpenRC1 needed to be told explicitly can now be detected automatically. A few things have moved to other files dotted around /etc.

The comment about migrating settings really means, "open the new /etc/rc.conf and uncomment the same lines you had uncommented in /etc/conf.d/rc. If you had specific device or service that needed promoting or blocking last time, promote or block it here."

For a new system it should start quite happily using an unmodified /etc/rc.conf quite happily.
Old 24th August, 2010, 12:46 PM

That's reassuring. I didn't wnat to muck it up and then have to chroot or use a live cd just to re-edit the file.

OK then, I'll give it a shot later tonight... thanks as always

Old 2nd October, 2010, 05:07 AM

Looks like I missed all of the fun stuff. Congrats on getting a working Gentoo install.

As I said in the email, I primarily use Arch Linux these days, while I still have a Gentoo install on my rig, it rarely gets booted, most of the time I just chroot into it for updates.

After selling some equipment, I no longer needed to run solidworks and a couple of other programs, and getting the few remaining programs I had for my shop working in wine, I was able to move my shop rig over to Debian. While Debian isn't the most up to date distro out there, it just flat works.
Old 2nd October, 2010, 01:19 PM

Don't feel bad about being late to the party. Stay tuned, I'm certain I'll have questions later