AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th September, 2010, 08:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Note to Fedora Users about PackageKit

A while back, I'm not sure exactly when but I think around late July, there was apparently an update to PackageKit that borked the updates on Fedora.

I was just thinking to myself yesterday "Ya know, I haven't had to install any updates for Fedora 13 in a while". In part, I was thinking this because I was having some random problems with my DHCP not working right, as well as unreliable wireless, spookiness with my mouse, and inability to insert USB devices (I'd get "Unable to mount <insert device name here>. Not Authorized"). So I decided to do a manual update using System|Administration|Software Update. Imagine my surprised when that just failed to do anything at all.

So, I popped a terminal and did:
Code:
sudo yum check-update
Once I wiped the shocked look off my face at the resulting 358 packages that needed updating, I did

Code:
sudo yum upgrade
and then walked away for an hour.

Came back, rebooted (recompiled my nVidia drivers), and everything was back to working like it was supposed to.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th September, 2010, 04:40 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Yeah, Fedora have been saying that there's a borked version out there for some time. They fixed it in July 22, 2010
Old 10th September, 2010, 07:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thanks Big guys! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th September, 2010, 09:10 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
A while back, I'm not sure exactly when (but probably somewhere in between the sixth and the seventh day of creation) but I think around late July, there was apparently an update to PackageKit that borked the updates on Fedora.

I was just thinking to myself yesterday (linucs is borked) "Ya know, I haven't had to install any updates for Fedora 13 in a while". In part, I was thinking this because I was having some random problems with my DHCP not working right (LOOOOOOOOOOOL DHCP not working right?), as well as unreliable wireless, spookiness with my mouse (LOOOOOOOOOOOOL), and inability to insert USB devices (I'd get "Unable to mount <insert device name here>. Not Authorized"). So I decided to do a manual update using System|Administration|Software Update. Imagine my surprised when that just failed to do anything at all. (no kidding? )
So, I popped a terminal and did:
Code:
sudo yummy yummy check-update
Once I wiped the shocked look off my face (with a clean tissue) at the resulting 358 packages that needed updating (only 358? are U kidding me?), I did

Code:
sudo yummy yummy upgrade (omg thats yummy in multiple ways) 
and then walked away for an hour. (like where, in the house, in your garden or simply you walked with the dog?)

Came back, rebooted (recompiled my nVidia drivers), and everything was back to working like it was supposed to.
OMG isn't that cute? Linucs+Chris will now guarantee you a nice long walk (about an hour anyway) and when u come back it'll simply work!

PS Bold chars = work of fiction
PS I can hardly wipe the big grin on my face Chris I am sorry but you made me laugh so hard ! I love you man !!!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 11th September, 2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 13th September, 2010, 03:21 PM

May I remind Chris about Mcafee and XP - where the AV decided that a core component of Windows was malicious, and therefore deleted it. Or CA and Windows, where CA renamed parts of the system.

Or the fact I have a Windows machine that took 2+ hours to update all the patches that have been missing for the last 6 months...
Old 13th September, 2010, 09:00 PM
Benchmarker

I was just teasing Chris.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 13th September, 2010, 09:29 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Hmm... 358 packages on a system that runs no continuous virus scanning and either IPTables rules or no firewall at all?

I think you could measure the life of a Windows box in the same position in seconds, no?
Old 13th September, 2010, 10:43 PM
Benchmarker

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
Hmm... 358 packages on a system that runs no continuous virus scanning and either IPTables rules or no firewall at all?

I think you could measure the life of a Windows box in the same position in seconds, no?
Damn guys I haven't really said the obvious fact that Windows is a lot better! I don't want to upset Daniel. But here you are lads, trying to nail me down for having a bit of fun on Chris's account. Arghhhhhhh ! Waiting for you Kaitain at the Pub with several pints ready

Last edited by chrisbard; 13th September, 2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 14th September, 2010, 02:32 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
Waiting for you Kaitain at the Pub with several pints ready
Well at least you've come to your senses and gone to the pub. I was getting worried about you
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Old 14th September, 2010, 09:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Chris...as a Linux adept I have learned to transcend MS's inherent and on going evil.

( Though it does occasionally sadden me that so many friends are still held captive in the hellish regions below....Where all voluntarily MS users must be confined until they can rid themselves of this demon.)

( I thought you would enjoy hearing this from a more scientific point of view this time Chris...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 14th September, 2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 14th September, 2010, 10:06 PM
Benchmarker

Talking

Well Daniel as you know sometimes someone has to be against. But in this particular case after talking with Chris I decided this was not a Linucs vs windows battle, it was me having a bit of fun. So why not post something defending Chris's experience rather than blaming windows?

Old 15th September, 2010, 08:21 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

In defense of Chris Bard...

(perhaps some one would like to jump in here and help out...I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment...) LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 16th September, 2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 16th September, 2010, 12:46 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I told the Bard that as long as he didn't turn it into a Windows vs Linux argument, I didn't care if he picked on me.....
Old 16th September, 2010, 10:02 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

oooh indifference...the cruelest lash! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 16th September, 2010, 02:33 PM
Steve Jobs

=)
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 16th September, 2010, 03:43 PM

But it's Chris - therefore it will become a Windows vs Linux argument, even if he didn't intend it to. We're all too conditioned by it now.
Old 10th October, 2010, 04:29 AM
AOA Staff

wow, sometimes these posts go absolutely nowhere.... So this is off the off-topic posting:

I have given up on updating my Linux. As most of you know, I am still running Fedora 8 (which is about 3 years old) and it still does almost everything I want. I did have some issues this year when I had to reinstall it 4 times. I even tried updating and it had all kinds of problems.
I did download Fedora 13 and burn the ISO... one of these days will get it installed and see what I have been missing.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 10th October, 2010, 07:42 PM
Member/Contributer/WCG TEAM CAPTAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
In defense of Chris Bard...

(perhaps some one would like to jump in here and help out...I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment...) LOL
umm.. he has enthusiasm?
Registered Linux User #401179
Desktop- Mint 10 Julia, Mint 9 Isadora, PCLOS LXDE 2010.10, Flavor of the Day

Laptop- Windows 7 Premium, AMD Athlon II X2 P340, 250g Seagate HD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250, 4G DDR3 Ram, 15.6" HD LED LCD
Old 11th October, 2010, 05:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

It's you Chris! You inspire me! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 11th October, 2010, 08:06 PM
Benchmarker

How can u guys be so immature exactly when I decide to change my approach?