AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd October, 2010, 08:40 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

It's over faster than it started

So I installed Ubuntu Studio 10.4, UGGGGGG!!! It took longer to install then for me to decide I was going to 86 it. Nothing seems to work and at the word go it seems as though Jack isn't even running. I'm downloading 9.10 as we speak. (at about 2 megs a second woot! ) doh!!! just looked again, it's a solid 1.3 now. Anyways... I had 9.04 and that one worked out of the box if I remember right.

Hope I can get midi out working on it that way I can use it as a sequencer for all these freaking keyboards I have laying around. (oh and drum kit)

Wish me luck!
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th October, 2010, 12:05 AM
Member/Contributer/WCG TEAM CAPTAIN

Hi Robbie.
I tried Studio last winter, and it pretty much just froze up on me. I thought maybe it was due to my aging hardware.
Well, with winter coming on, and less to do outdoors, I'm casting thoughts to computer things again, and building a new tower. You can bet it will be running Linux. Most likely Mint.
Registered Linux User #401179
Desktop- Mint 10 Julia, Mint 9 Isadora, PCLOS LXDE 2010.10, Flavor of the Day

Laptop- Windows 7 Premium, AMD Athlon II X2 P340, 250g Seagate HD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250, 4G DDR3 Ram, 15.6" HD LED LCD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th October, 2010, 05:58 AM
Member/Contributer

Installed 10.04 (not studio) on my MSI Wind. WPA2 wireless instantly stopped working. The next thing I did, was all the updates, WPA2 was still not working, but everything else does, including bluetooth - even the wii remote would connect

I upgraded to the 2.6.32-25 kernal a few days ago and now I am even able to use WPA2.

Maybe it is some of the Studio config which is causing the problems?

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H

Last edited by noob; 4th October, 2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old 4th October, 2010, 09:05 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Good...lord three absent friends in one thread! Great to see all of you! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 4th October, 2010, 11:15 PM
Member/Contributer

Not absent, just busy. I have my wedding happening in January, so no time to myself. I still log in most days.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 4th October, 2010, 11:24 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I've been on here and there. Just been real busy as of late as well.

@LP
Yeah, the stinking thing froze up on my as well. (9.10 as well as 9.04) I "kinda" got 9.04 to work. When I did the install I was sure NOT to have the network cable plugged in and it seemed to work a little better. And what I mean by work is, I could play one of my keyboards and record what I was playing on Ardour and play it back.

I just want midi support! I would love to have my Cakewalk Midi to USB converter working in Linux. That way I don't have to run an old crappy Sound Blaster sound card just for my gameport to midi converter to work. (I think it was laggy)

As for now I went back to window's (just plugged in the old HD) and am trying to learn the new Cakewalk software I got. (the one that came with the converter)

Maybe I'll just go out and buy a sequencer and say F it!
AOA Team fah
Old 5th October, 2010, 02:25 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

What output do you get in dmesg when you connect the MIDI<->USB converter? Also, which model is it?

Most of the Roland interface should be ok if I understand correctly.

Last edited by Áedán; 5th October, 2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 5th October, 2010, 05:09 PM
AOA Staff

What do I have to type?
BlackBerry8330m/4.5.0.186 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104
Old 5th October, 2010, 09:06 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Plug it in, wait a minute, then type:

dmesg
Old 6th October, 2010, 09:26 PM
AOA Staff

Want me to just post the whole thing?

**edit**
I just installed 8.04 and that one seems to work just fine, right out of the box. Fired up Ardour, plugged the outs of my keyboard (synth) to the mic connection of the SB Live card that I have it in and hit record. It recorded just fine, hit playback and heard what I recorded no problem. Doing updates from update manager right now. (very slow downloads but it's working)
AOA Team fah

Last edited by robbie; 6th October, 2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 7th October, 2010, 04:28 AM
AOA Staff

Ok, I went back to 10.4. At first I didn't have any sound again, then I got to thinking, I wonder if the onboard sound was turning off with the SB card installed, turns out I don't think it was. So I went into the bios and shut it down. Seems a little better. And the system sees not only my usb to midi converter but it sees my Oxygen 49 usb keyboard as well.
So far so good. I'll play with it some more later.
AOA Team fah
Old 7th October, 2010, 12:05 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Does that mean it's working better than before?
Old 7th October, 2010, 02:52 PM
AOA Staff

Yep, more testing tonight I think. I've even kinda figured out how to use Jack some.
AOA Team fah
Old 7th October, 2010, 06:43 PM
AOA Staff

@LP

On the freeze up issue I did some reading ( had it freezing up on me) and it turns out ya need to update the video card drivers (well doing that seemed to work for me) I have an onboard ATI card. All I did was go into the package manager and type ATI. Found the ati packages and had it install them. Reboot... Done. Seems to work fine now.
HtH
Old 8th October, 2010, 01:53 AM

I don't have any midi devices to test with, but if it relied on hal in previous ubuntu releases it may no longer just work.

I purged hal awhile back and had to learn and write a bunch of udev rules to get even stupid things like thumb drives to just work.
Old 8th October, 2010, 03:01 AM
AOA Staff

One of the next things I wanna see if I can get working on it is my Simmon's drum kit. It has both midi and USB. So I'm sure I can get one of the inputs to work.
Old 8th October, 2010, 02:50 PM
Member/Contributer/WCG TEAM CAPTAIN

Ok, thanks Robbie. I'll try it again, but I really want to build a new tower with up to date hardware. I think that'll help a lot with the newer OS'es.
Still doing a few out door things, will be looking at a new build when the weather keeps me indoors.
Registered Linux User #401179
Desktop- Mint 10 Julia, Mint 9 Isadora, PCLOS LXDE 2010.10, Flavor of the Day

Laptop- Windows 7 Premium, AMD Athlon II X2 P340, 250g Seagate HD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250, 4G DDR3 Ram, 15.6" HD LED LCD