AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th October, 2010, 07:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Top 5 mistakes by Linux first-timers

With the arrival of Ubuntu 10.10, the list of reasons to try Linux for your business just got a little longer. The free and open source operating system is now more user-friendly than it's ever been before while still offering the many security and other advantages it has over its competitors.

[Front page...]
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th October, 2010, 03:29 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Any business that allows users to run with administrator privileges on their desktops has huge gaping security hole...
Old 15th October, 2010, 04:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Unfortunately, the sad reality is that there is still a lot of Windows software being used (and especially purpose-built software) in the business world which won't work properly without admin rights. Too many programmers don't properly understand where and how they are allowed to access info. Plus, Microsoft have changed the recommended guidelines for how apps are supposed to store info numerous times over the years, and there are still a fair number of older 9x systems out there that people are developing for.

Last edited by Gizmo; 15th October, 2010 at 04:52 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th October, 2010, 06:10 PM

9x has never been a business platform, and is so far out of support and riddled with holes it isn't funny. In my somewhat limited corporate experience, I've tended to note that a lot of organisations I work with do not permit users to have any form of administrator privileges.

I've noted that dev tools seem to be the worst for assuming that the user has admin privileges, and failing to work correctly when they don't.
Old 15th October, 2010, 06:52 PM

I bought Modern Warfare 2 and even it needs to be run with elevated privileges.
Old 15th October, 2010, 08:55 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

My present employer gives all staff guys admin rights to their assigned computer: only contractors are restricted. I have no idea why, but have enough respect for the IT guys not to abuse the privilege.

------------

I'd have gone with a different top five:

1) Ubuntu is not Linux
2) Gnome and KDE are not Linux
3) Just because you don't have 300MB of crapware and yet another useless icon in your system tray doesn't mean you don't already have a driver for it.
4) If you run as root and trash your system, people won't try to sell you a $99 system-cleaner app. They will laugh at you, though.
5) Linux will not save you from yourself. If you do silly things like click on phishing links, you're still going to lose your shirt.
Old 15th October, 2010, 09:28 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Talking

6. Use windows to stay on the safe side !

Windows by Microsoft will save you from yourself !!!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 15th October, 2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 15th October, 2010, 09:35 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

I'm still waiting on that pint

It's a sweet little troll... the facial expression looks like my son when we tell him he can't have a chocolate
Attached Thumbnails
Top 5 mistakes by Linux first-timers-do_not_feed_trolls.jpg  

Last edited by Kaitain; 15th October, 2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 15th October, 2010, 09:48 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
9x has never been a business platform, and is so far out of support and riddled with holes it isn't funny.
None of which has any bearing on the fact that it is, in fact, used by a lot of small businesses and non-profits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
In my somewhat limited corporate experience, I've tended to note that a lot of organisations I work with do not permit users to have any form of administrator privileges.
In a corporate environment it is certainly more true that there will be security policies in place that will provide a bit more of a structured environment. Never-the-less, even there it's not unusual to find at least one machine that is running a, shall we say "Less than secure configuration" because of some obscure software package that is needed and only runs in that environment. For small businesses, on the other hand, they usually can't even afford an IT person, much less an IT person that actually has a clue. Couple this with the fact that, quite frequently, the person in charge of the company doesn't understand all 'that security stuff', or why he should put up with restrictions on what he can do with his computer (after all, he paid for it, why can't he use it the way he wants to?), and then add into that the fact that software packages used by small businesses trend in the direction of 'quick and dirty' with poor security policies in themselves, and you end up with a LOT of machines running in administrator mode.

Last edited by Gizmo; 15th October, 2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 15th October, 2010, 10:37 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post

I'm still waiting on that pint

It's a sweet little troll... the facial expression looks like my son when we tell him he can't have a chocolate
Hahahaha I couldn't help it ! really !!!

Foster?
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 19th October, 2010, 12:37 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
My present employer gives all staff guys admin rights to their assigned computer: only contractors are restricted. I have no idea why, but have enough respect for the IT guys not to abuse the privilege.

------------

I'd have gone with a different top five:

1) Ubuntu is not Linux
2) Gnome and KDE are not Linux
3) Just because you don't have 300MB of crapware and yet another useless icon in your system tray doesn't mean you don't already have a driver for it.
4) If you run as root and trash your system, people won't try to sell you a $99 system-cleaner app. They will laugh at you, though.
5) Linux will not save you from yourself. If you do silly things like click on phishing links, you're still going to lose your shirt.
With number 3, I recently installed a HP printer on Win7 that actually had a driver DVD rather than a CD, and required 1.9GB of disk space to install the "driver suite".

The thing you have to remember is some programmer had to write all that crud.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 27th October, 2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
None of which has any bearing on the fact that it is, in fact, used by a lot of small businesses and non-profits
Non-profits can usually do pretty well by examining various programs that are available. For instance, a number of non-profits in the UK are able to pick up Windows 7 32 bit upgrade for about £5, and a copy of Windows 2008 Small Business Server Premium for about £39.
Old 27th October, 2010, 07:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
6. Use windows to stay on the safe side !

Windows by Microsoft will save you from yourself !!!
Then give you to who ever comes along...I trust myself more than that...I trust Linux to a lest try to treat me well.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 27th October, 2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 27th October, 2010, 10:56 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
In a corporate environment it is certainly more true that there will be security policies in place that will provide a bit more of a structured environment. Never-the-less, even there it's not unusual to find at least one machine that is running a, shall we say "Less than secure configuration" because of some obscure software package that is needed and only runs in that environment. For small businesses, on the other hand, they usually can't even afford an IT person, much less an IT person that actually has a clue. Couple this with the fact that, quite frequently, the person in charge of the company doesn't understand all 'that security stuff', or why he should put up with restrictions on what he can do with his computer (after all, he paid for it, why can't he use it the way he wants to?), and then add into that the fact that software packages used by small businesses trend in the direction of 'quick and dirty' with poor security policies in themselves, and you end up with a LOT of machines running in administrator mode.
This is the company I work at. No IT person and everyone has administrative access. So I usually end up cleanup the mess they make on their computers and on the server. Luckily they can't log into the server as administrator, but everyone seems to needs access to every folder because employees multi-task.
At least we finally started buying company owned laptops for the designers instead of using their own. That was a mess, specially with installing AutoCAD.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial

Last edited by Daniel ~; 28th October, 2010 at 07:51 PM.