AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th February, 2011, 01:12 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

swapping out AMD for Intel, am I thinking correctly?

I want to swap out CPU and board on my gentoo machine, going from AMD socket 939 to a more current Intel quad.

If I am thinking correctly, I have to be a bit careful if I don't want to start over. This is my plan, after thinking over my research:

1. image the drive for safety
2. remove MARCH=amd64 from make.conf, so gcc compiles in a *generic* way
3. compile a new kernel, making the appropriate changes from amd-specific to intel-specific in menuconfig
4. try booting with the new kernel
5. if it boots, then add the proper CFLAG for core2 or whatever into make.conf, then go to step 7
6. if it does not boot, go to 8.
7. emerge -e @world @system to recompile everything for new architecture
8. if no boot, do not add the CFLAG back into make.conf. Instead, emerge-e @world @system to compile everything for a more generic architecture that should boot with either AMD or Intel
9. try booting again. system *should* boot at this point.
10. do step 5 followed by step 7 to recompile for the new architecture.
11. if all of this somehow fails, reimage the drive as before and *PUNT*(after cursing the gentoo gods for a day of compiling wasted)

Can anyone find fault with this, or make suggestions? (Cliff, Gizmo, or Kaitain, in particular?)
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th February, 2011, 03:38 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Wish I could offer some advice. Good luck with it.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th February, 2011, 03:44 PM

I have been able to to boot from the live cd, chroot, change the make.conf and reemerge -e system and -e world without issue. Then modify the kernel and boot into the system. You kind of have to figure if you need to reemerge the entire install twice it would be quicker to back up your files and configs and do a clean install, emerging only once.

Last edited by ccperf721p; 15th February, 2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 15th February, 2011, 04:11 PM

Am I making the proper change to make.conf, or am I forgetting something?
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]

Old 15th February, 2011, 06:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

-march=native

Should be all you need in CFLAGS. The newer GCC (3.4.3 and up) have pretty good cpu code detection and you only need to force the march flag if you are cross-compiling to another arch.

There should be any need to change any other flags. Even your CHOST flag should be fine.

Obviously when you compile the kernel you'll need to change some options there, but that should pretty much be limited to the "Processor Type and Feautres" selections.
Old 15th February, 2011, 06:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

-march=native

Should be all you need in CFLAGS. The newer GCC (3.4.3 and up) have pretty good cpu code detection and you only need to force the march flag if you are cross-compiling to another arch.

There should be any need to change any other flags. Even your CHOST flag should be fine.

Obviously when you compile the kernel you'll need to change some options there, but that should pretty much be limited to the "Processor Type and Feautres" selections.
Old 15th February, 2011, 10:19 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

It's easier to go the other way (Intel to amd) than the way you're going. The glitch is in those 3dnow extensions - if gcc thinks it can replace conventional code with a simd instruction it'll do so. AMD implements most SSE variants, Intel doesn't bother with 3dnow.

Assuming you have hardware support for your new kit (sata drivers, at least), I'd just stick the new board in and have done with it. If it doesn't work straight off then you'll have to go with a boot cd.

When I changed laptops (totally different hardware) I just copied over the contents of /home, /etc and my worldfile on top of a fresh stage3 install and did an emerge -e. That did the job.
Old 16th February, 2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
You kind of have to figure if you need to reemerge the entire install twice it would be quicker to back up your files and configs and do a clean install, emerging only once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
When I changed laptops (totally different hardware) I just copied over the contents of /home, /etc and my worldfile on top of a fresh stage3 install and did an emerge -e. That did the job.
I think you guys are right-more steps, more potential for Murphy's law to prove itself. Maybe I'll just do the install like Gareth says from the minimal install cd and the stage 3 tarball and copy over /home, /etc, and /var/lib/portage. Other than those directories, are there any other config files located elsewhere that might be helpful? (/boot/grub/grub.conf comes to mind, so I don't have to ask how to get the dual-boot with sidux going again. How about /usr/local? Anything in there I might want?)

Maybe it will be the easiest way in the end, since it's not simply a CPU change - the board chipsets are all different, the NIC is different, etc...I can make a new kernel from scratch and the whole thing would probably be cleaner.

Last edited by ThunderRd; 16th February, 2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 16th February, 2011, 03:16 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
and copy over /home, /etc, and /var/lib/portage. Other than those directories, are there any other config files located elsewhere that might be helpful? (/boot/grub/grub.conf comes to mind, so I don't have to ask how to get the dual-boot with sidux going again.
For my laptop move, I copied over:
/etc/portage/*
/etc/make.conf
/var/lib/portage/world
/home/*
... and nothing else. Copying any more of portage than just the worldfile risked making it think I had stuff installed.
/etc/portage/* contains my custom sets and use flags per package.

From stage 3 i set up a kernel that worked, grub and the networking options. I then rebooted, did an emerge -e and, after a couple of circular dependency issues resolved, I had a new, fresh system.

You can copy over grub.conf if you're sure the new system will identify your drives in the same way as your older system.
Old 20th February, 2011, 04:43 PM

OK, so today I had some time on my hands and built a new stage 3 install, copied over the needed directories and files, and fired up emerge -e.

I also have a few of those circular dependencies. Any tips from you all on the strategy to logically resolve them? One of them has 240 packages depending on it, and I don't feel like ripping out stuff blindly if there is a logical process to figure it out. It looks like I have to do some magic involving the USE flags, like -doc which seems to be a common problem, but there are others here I'm still trying to figure out.

I found this in the gentoo wiki and it seems to be understandable but it's a slow process for me:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Circular_dependencies

Last edited by ThunderRd; 20th February, 2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 20th February, 2011, 06:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yeah, you don't want to just delete packages, as that can have a deleterious effect on the system.

I usually simply add the package in question to my /etc/portage/package.use file, with a -USE for the USE flag in question, e.g. if I needed to mask the suhosin USE flag in order to compile PHP, I'd simply add

dev-lang/php -suhosin

to the package.use file, and then remove it when I was done.
Old 22nd February, 2011, 03:12 PM

Any updates T?
Old 22nd February, 2011, 03:47 PM

Yessir.

Everything is looking OK now - made a mistake that I won't ever make again though - used an 8 month old minimal install disk instead of downloading the current one, resulting in a lot more recompiling of newer versions than I should have needed. First, there was python 3.1 and gcc 4.5 which as you know both take forever and a day to compile, then a few other minor things.

I did work out all the circular dependencies in the end, I found it easier to just put the USE="-whatever" on the command line for each one, rather than using package.use, since I knew that I'd re-emerge each one immediately anyhow. Last night I got X and the nvidia driver going and tested them out, then I decided to kick off emerge -e overnight to get everything compiled with the same gcc version. I woke up to find that emerge had failed 50% of the way home, since some lame ca-certificates package failed to fetch; that pissed me off, since I figured I'd have to do it all over again. In a more sober state of mind I read the man page and discovered a gem I'd not ever had to use: emerge --resume --skipfirst.

I didn't grok the --skipfirst part right away until I saw it in action. Best emerge trick I have learned so far.

So I've got emerge -e humming along now, then I'll manually emerge the package that didn't fetch afterwards. I decided to do a scratch install of Xfce since the new stable versions are all in portage now, so I removed all the xfce4-* packages from the world file.

You guys told me something a while back that has proven to be absolutely true. With Gentoo (and sidux/aptosid also, to some degree), I have learned more about linux in the past 6 months than I would have running another distro for years. I'm doing things more instinctively now than I was before, and I'm more able to interpret man pages and the like.

I'll let you know how all of this ends up in a day or two

Old 23rd February, 2011, 07:19 AM

Another useful one is: emerge --keep-going @<whatever>. Pretty easy to tell what this one does but research is in order so you at least have a way to find which packages failed. I prefer to just scroll back in the terminal as portage will put the failed packages at the end of the emerge process.

I've pretty much stopped trying to learn linux. It kind of resembles AMC to me, source a bunch of different parts from a bunch of different sources, assemble them in about the only way you can assemble a bunch of mismatched parts and call it car, or in this case an OS.

Last edited by ccperf721p; 23rd February, 2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 23rd February, 2011, 02:33 PM

Got Xfce emerged today and set up. All my old settings worked for the most part, with a few minor problems now solved.

Everything feels nice and clean, which is how it should be with no cruft hanging around. Plus, the box now uses the Q6600 that I took out of another box when I bought the QX9650, so it's generally much faster now than the dual core Opteron it was running.

Back in business, thankfully. A bit rocky in the beginning, but a satisfying result.

Old 24th February, 2011, 01:46 AM

I've been trying to solve a flash issue in linux for a month or so to no avail. While browsing some sites that have a you tube video or something similar in them, the flash image will stay on the screen, it will be there if you close the browser and open a terminal or email client, but it does not show up in screenshots..

I tried to figure out what it was, but eventually fixed it with an emerge --unmerge adobe-flash..
Old 24th February, 2011, 03:47 PM

Yeah, awhile back I had a lot of videos freezing in the window, and it didn't happen while in full-screen for some reason. I struggled with it for a week or two, then performed a flash-ectomy as well, just like you. Later I discovered the version of 10 that was hardmasked for security reasons. I threw caution to the wind and unmasked it, and surprisingly it solved the problem. Since then I have had a working 64-bit flash, and recently the hardmask was removed at version 10.2, so I guess I'm ok at last.

Old 25th February, 2011, 03:52 PM

I don't get freezing issues, the videos play fine for me. I did finally get a screenshot of it, so maybe throwing it around will get some replies. I'll do it later tonight.

I run such a stripped down install I really shouldn't be having unusual problems. My browser of choice these days is luakit and it's probably the heaviest app on my rig, everything else is terminal driven.
I sold my CNC machines awhile back, pretty much eliminating the need for exotic software. Money-wise it was a good decision, sucked that I actually had to go buy a bracket for my race car when I use to just blast one out.
Old 11th March, 2011, 03:49 PM

After numerous issues with my Gentoo install, I finally just gave up and went back to Arch linux.

One thing I have always loved about Gentoo is the ability to control deps with use flags, but now they have become more of a hindrance than a useful tool. It seems they no longer control how a package is built, but whether it can be built. I wrote a few of my own ebuilds to remedy the situation but staying on top of overlays is always a pain. The final straw was having to extract a ubuntu .deb to / just to get a working version of a program that used internal libs.