AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th June, 2012, 01:59 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Linus makes no bones about it: F* you, Nvidia

Linus trying hard to establish new friendships:

Linus and NVIDIA - YouTube
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 18th June, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th June, 2012, 08:44 PM
AOA Staff

thats crazy, but I'm sure Manufacturer's are used to pissing off people and getting the "finger".
I wouldn't have done that, but instead made a sarcastic comment.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th June, 2012, 08:59 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Linus: honorary diploma from the R M Stallman school of public relations is in the post
Old 19th June, 2012, 12:04 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

It's kinda like watching your parents fight, you know no matter who wins you just lost!

Love ya Linus, but you're not helping! Love ya Nvidia but must you be such a dick!?

I would point out that Linus works quite successfully with many many people, I think he's just totally frustrated by Nvidia. I'd say Hardware drivers for video cards remains one of the biggest impediments to a more wide-spread adoption of Linux...Not to mention all the other Chips Nvidia has out there that Linux would like to understand a lot better..

Personally and with regrets, I no longer use Distro's that don't install Nvidia drivers for me...just to many hoops for someone like me to jump through.

So I can see where Nvidia's refusal to co-operate would really really annoy and frustrate him....

ON the other hand... Why must most distros be such Dicks about making non-free drivers available though an app the way Mint has? Who is it hurting?

They should ask themselves this, who does it hurt to lower the bar far enough that I can slip over it and use my graphics card without being a Linux Guru?

Because they should also know this NO distro that doesn't install Grafics Drivers is ever going to compete successfully as a desktop for the masses,... meaning me.":O}

Boy that got my juices flowing!
Hardware/Software conflict of the Century!!

Thanks T.R.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 19th June, 2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 19th June, 2012, 12:13 AM
AOA Staff

I agree...
I've had to jump through many hoops to get driver installed. I'm natively a Windows user and am used to just downloading & double-clicking to install drivers.
Linux has never been that easy.
I know that developing software/firmware for very small markets can be expensive, but its still another venue to advertise. If anything, they can advertise and still gain more publicitiy. even if its a little more
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 19th June, 2012, 12:33 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

AND...Leave us not forget that we TOO paid for the hardware that needs those Drivers. We are their customers and (In my view) they should co-operate with anyone trying to help us to use that hardware,(Linux), providing it doesn't hurt them.

You know After Gizmo and I struggled for at least two weeks and Kaitain for a few days and diso for a week here on the boards getting My Nvidia installed properly, it had been such a convoluted journey that I backed up my Fedora drive on to another drive and didn't update to a new Fedora for a year and a half....it wasn't long enough! LOL

The people I just mentioned, they really are pretty good at Linux to say the least, it's rare they can't help me get what I want with a link or a few lines of code, But Drivers are an ordeal, and you don't always get there!

I have Zero memory for code, or prceedure at terminal I can cut and paste and that HAS to be good enough or I can't use it. I can't be asking people to spend a week getting Drivers installed every time I update!

I tell Patti Fedora freed me from MS, But Mint made me independent. I mostly don't have to bother people to get what I want anymore. It helps that I've grown less afraid of Linux...":O}

In Mint I see Linux Devs really understanding the end users need for SIMPLE, EASY, INTUITIVE and beautiful desktop... you can be sure it's beautiful, because you can make it so! People hate to fail, I hate to fail... The biggest problem I have getting people to try Mint, is their past failures with other distros.

*What I think of as my "terminal nightmare". (Do you see that (*) before "What" at the start of this Line? It's there right? You see it? Becuse it keeps poping up in my posts and I don't know how it gets there! ( But Linux scared me more) ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 19th June, 2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 19th June, 2012, 12:40 AM
AOA Staff

I love that you are always Praising Mint in every post.
Sounds like Mint is going to be the best solution for moving from Windows.

Gizmo and Kaitain also helped me with my Fedora 8 server.... hence why I never updated it. I had the exact same problems! But, now I just use it as a server and don't play games on it. It can stay as Fedora 8 for the rest of its life
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 19th June, 2012, 01:06 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

LOL Now were reading from the same Terminal!

Brother, you have to try mint, They take Ububtu or Debian and Tweak it for stability and ease of use. Cliff tuned me onto it. They stay around six months behind the Linux curve to help with stability. Desktop is what they do. Mint is the second most widely used desktop in the world...The Mint site told me so...I get lots of useful Mint info there! ":O}

I still have an extra 300 Gig hard drive for anyone who wants to install Mint on it....

Could that man be YOU!?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 19th June, 2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old 19th June, 2012, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
Linus: honorary diploma from the R M Stallman school of public relations is in the post
LOL. RMS could give Linus lessons in diplomacy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M. Stallman
"Giving the Linus Torvalds Award to the Free Software Foundation is a bit like giving the Han Solo Award to the Rebel Alliance."
Using the Nvidia blob takes a bit of getting used to. Unfortunately, the open-source alternative Nouveau, although it is maturing, still does not offer the same 3D acceleration that the closed driver does. I don't actually need the Nvidia driver for anything that I do, so the Nouveau driver would be OK for me, EXCEPT Folding@Home requires the CUDA support that the Nvidia driver has, so I'm stuck with it.

I will admit, though, overall I haven't really had a terrible time getting the Nvidia driver working on any of the Linux systems I have used. Most all of the problems I have faced over the last few years have been due to packaging bugs in the distros themselves, and not in the driver code. Actually, I can't remember ever having a problem with the blob in Gentoo at all.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]

Last edited by ThunderRd; 19th June, 2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old 19th June, 2012, 04:34 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

well yeah, sure, but you know what you doing!

I could have gotten it done but no one would let me sacrifice their first-born!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 19th June, 2012, 10:42 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
Unfortunately, the open-source alternative Nouveau, although it is maturing, still does not offer the same 3D acceleration that the closed driver does.
Heh - Use the open source Nouveau driver, and watch your graphics performance drop by 700%. Why play Reaction Quake 3 at 310FPS on your GTX550Ti, when you could be playing it at 40FPS with Nouveau? But, that's ok, you'll save power by not using your graphics card to it's potential.

I'm aware that Linus doesn't like binary blobs, however someone decided that they were acceptable. Guess what, that means people will use them. (never mind the fact that sometimes you can't avoid them for regulatory reasons.)
Old 19th June, 2012, 02:56 PM

Yeah, the true believers [that is to say, the free software zealots] would never use the binary blob. I have had this discussion with the sidux/aptosid guys a number of times, for example. Finally, now that a more realistic, more tolerant group of them have forked aptosid [siduction], people are able to get some help with the blob [although it isn't included in the installer still, and never will be].

There has to be a balance. If all you're running are office apps, and no 3D, use the Nouveau driver, by all means.

I would. I've tried it, and for standard stuff, it's fine.

But if you need any gaming or 3D at all, like Compiz, for example, you have to be able to use the blob. Daniel's right, of course, it isn't easy for normal type users to get it going. It doesn't affect the more technical of us, but I do hope that eventually there will be a solution/compromise [at least in the big distros.]

I think there is very little chance that Nvidia will change their outlook on Linux any time soon.

Last edited by ThunderRd; 19th June, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 19th June, 2012, 04:34 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
well yeah, sure, but you know what you doing!

I could have gotten it done but no one would let me sacrifice their first-born!
Thats exactly my point! I can install the Nvidia drivers pretty easily now with only a few steps, but my long-term goal is to create Linux gaming machines for friends & family. They won't want to deal with all the "terminal" stuff that I have to deal with.
Code:
I have a dream...
A dream that one day all games & operating systems will be free
Free to use on Personal Computers for all people
Without any need for technical intervention.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 19th June, 2012, 05:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
Yeah, the true believers [that is to say, the free software zealots] would never use the binary blob. I have had this discussion with the sidux/aptosid guys a number of times, for example. Finally, now that a more realistic, more tolerant group of them have forked aptosid [siduction], people are able to get some help with the blob [although it isn't included in the installer still, and never will be].

There has to be a balance. If all you're running are office apps, and no 3D, use the Nouveau driver, by all means.

I would. I've tried it, and for standard stuff, it's fine.

But if you need any gaming or 3D at all, like Compiz, for example, you have to be able to use the blob. Daniel's right, of course, it isn't easy for normal type users to get it going. It doesn't affect the more technical of us, but I do hope that eventually there will be a solution/compromise [at least in the big distros.]

I think there is very little chance that Nvidia will change their outlook on Linux any time soon.
From your post, I'm not sure you understand that Mint Simply installs Nvidia drivers for you though a small app, Easier, really, easier than in 2000 Pro, that's for sure...

But you grown ups might be talking about some other aspect of this?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 19th June, 2012, 05:56 PM
AOA Staff

nah, we are talking about the Terminal.
remember those steps I posted for Fedora 16?
that it!
compared to Fedora 8 and my Radeon 9600 Pro... that list is much easier.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 19th June, 2012, 07:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

The hoops get fewer as they grow tighter! LOL

You guys just gotta know that whatever you use, I'm hoping it works for you. Mint really does for me so I get a bit ChrisBard from time to every time...":O}

Please be patient, I think I'll out grow it...someday...
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 19th June, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 19th June, 2012, 08:35 PM
AOA Staff

I just downloaded Mint13 and ran it as Live...
I gotta say, its looking good!
I'm surprised at how much it looks like OS X
I checked out the Software Tool too....
just like you said, I can type Nvidia and it lists the drivers and programs.
It lists everything.

I'll try installing it at home this weekend and will create a new thread about my experience
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 19th June, 2012, 11:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Dude! Your never going home to Fedora, at lest call and tell the poor girl!

Go For Cinnamon, it seems the best blend and the most complete, Although Mint Debian is really pretty sweet as well.

(Your going to like me so much after this!!!)

Your on your way to The "This is the way it always should have been" moment! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 20th June, 2012, 01:06 AM
AOA Staff

Swearing and cursing can be like poetry in the Finnish language.

Shame he didn't swear in his native tongue - far more impressive than an f u.
Old 20th June, 2012, 02:06 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yet, it some indefinable way, I feel he conveyed his sentiment...":O}

Tell me what cha be doing Danrok?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Tags
linux