AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st September, 2012, 10:33 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
Here's what I think you completely Miss Chris. I'm Happy. There's nothing I want in Linux I don't have.
I'm not happy with Linux. When I'm dealing with Linux, I'm generally having a battle of wills with whatever the distro. I attempted to run a media centre with MythTV for a few years. It mostly worked (apart from the times it'd just lock up), but each time there was an update, I'd spend half a day trying to get it working again.
Old 1st September, 2012, 07:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Your unhappy with YOUR Linux. My Linux be Good, my Linux be YEARS newer than your Linux.

But you give me pause. As I have heard what you're saying everywhere I go!!

And I've heard it from experts and noobs.

Who can deny their/your experience. It's been bad at times, really bad.

I don't wish to include you here as you've always exhibited a professional detachment in the explanations that you've shared with me...

But there's some REAL scare tissue out there when it comes to Linux.

Good Lord how many times in how many destros have I failed to gain the desktop I could use let alone want!?

Lot's of baggage from the past.

I seriously doubt there is one thing about Linux I could illuminate for you or any knowledgeable person.

So I can only do as you've just done, report my experiences as bet I can.

I'm up in Bodhi now. Full graphic exhilaration from Nvidia current drivers.

It's new it's awkward and some of the stuff it does is almost funny...but sad...

I couldn't say I'd leave Mint... but I bring it up as it represents another choice, another chance to get this right for Dan Edgar.

If Mint goes calculator desktop on me I have a somewhere to go.

Nothing is perfect, certainly not my desktop... But it's free and so I can afford it. It works so i can use it...and it's Linux so I see it as offering the world another way to go...

One that centres upon human need rather than human greed.

And for that, Linux receives my undying devotion... the code while important...is just by the way for me. Linux is trying help save my world....I don't get to mad about that.":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st September, 2012, 08:43 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

I am now in a skype videochat...

...while WLMM is compressing a video I recorded during our holiday and then automatically uploading it to youtube,

...while in a yahoo window a clip I just received is running

...while in firefox (I am testing firefox atm) I have a couple of windows open

When I will have a bit of time I will try to do exactly the same under Mint13 and I will report back.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st September, 2012, 11:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thank you Chris, I'd be very interested in your findings.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 2nd September, 2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
Your unhappy with YOUR Linux. My Linux be Good, my Linux be YEARS newer than your Linux.

And for that, Linux receives my undying devotion... the code while important...is just by the way for me. Linux is trying help save my world....I don't get to mad about that.":O}
Well, unless you've got a time machine, your Linux isn't YEARS newer than mine. It'll be about the same age.

As far as being a zealot for Linux - I've been there (a few years ago). I'm not there any longer, when I realised how counter-productive that is. Linux, Windows, BlackBerry 10, OpenBSD, iOS, QNX and other platforms are simply just tools. When you lose sight of that and chase after an ideology, I believe you've lost sight of what's actually important - being able to achieve something regardless of the tools you have. At the end of the day, there are things you can do more easily in Linux, just as there are things you can do more easily in Windows, and things you can do more easily in QNX. Does that make QNX better than Linux? Yes, it does, if you need to do the tasks that QNX does better.
Old 2nd September, 2012, 11:49 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Kidding aside, when I had more time to research why this isn't working and why that isn't working in linux I built myself a nice rig with linux. At that time ppl were saying linucs is so good it gives you almost no errors. Sadly that wasn't true. But wait, what is this, why is it taking so long to open a damn file? (without any apps open in background) Oh wait, I guess it's just another OS -support. Oh it's free? If it's free it must be really really good! Oh wait!
As a grown up I know now that there are a lot of fairytales around linux and a lot of believers, even if it doesn't deliver in my world, somebody will be happy to push it down my throat. In return I am giving them a piece of my mind about MS Windows which isn't perfect but it's a decent OS.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 2nd September, 2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedan View Post
Well, unless you've got a time machine, your Linux isn't YEARS newer than mine. It'll be about the same age.
Just to clarify this - The media centre machine was 2011. I also have other Linux boxes, which are newer. I also have OpenBSD, Win 7, and QNX hosts.
Old 2nd September, 2012, 05:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedan View Post
At the end of the day, there are things you can do more easily in Linux, just as there are things you can do more easily in Windows, and things you can do more easily in QNX. Does that make QNX better than Linux? Yes, it does, if you need to do the tasks that QNX does better.
Ah, at last, the crux of the problem.

I use Linux as my primary OS, and have since around 2008. I have a Windows VM running XP for those few tasks that I can't accomplish in Linux (such as good integration with MS Exchange. My kid's desktop runs on Linux as well.

That being said, when I sent Kristin off to college, I bought her a laptop with Win7 on it. I didn't want to, but I had to be rational. Kristin is going to study game art and design. The GiMP, as nice a tool as it is, still isn't PhotoShop, which DOESN'T run on Linux. Also, despite what I might prefer, the business world is DE-FACTO Windows, which means I would be crippling her to send her out to fend for herself without at least a working understanding of Windows.

If your work requires Windows, then Windows is what you use. If your work requires Linux, then Linux is what you use. If your work allows you the latitude to use what you wish, then by all means make a choice based on personal preference.

It's rather like debating whether C or Java is the better programming language, or whether object-oriented or procedural programming is a better methodology. It really depends on the problem you are trying to solve, and the fact is that MOST problems really don't care. Which means the choice comes down to which tool enables you to be the most productive.
Old 2nd September, 2012, 05:57 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
OK, I use the CL in Linux for most operations except browsing, but I don't have to if I don't want to. Linux is about choice, and how you personally want to do your work. I speak only for myself here, but I stand by what I say - I don't miss Windows for ANYTHING, except games. And I paid dearly for that in hard cash.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com