AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th September, 2012, 11:16 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Linux Desktop dead? [RIP]

"I know there's an army of dedicated Linux hobbyists who will no doubt unleash a barrage of flames and tirades as a result of this article. They'll tell me all the ways Windows sucks, and all the reasons Apple is evil, and make exalted claims about how wonderful their lives are since they made the switch, and how they'll never go back.

Let me preemptively say, That's great. I'm happy for you. It doesn't change the fact that you're part of a negligible market segment. It doesn't change the reality that Linux is not as intuitive or user friendly as its rivals, or that it lacks the third-party hardware and software support of its rivals, or that using it requires a learning curve and the dedication to dive into forums and learn to tinker. It's great for hobbyists and hackers, but not for an average user at a company.

So, move on. There's nothing to see here. The dream of Linux becoming relevant in the desktop market will never be realized. If you're looking to refresh or replace the desktop OS at your company, the desktop OS market is a two horse race between Windows and Mac OS X."

Read more here Why Linux on the Desktop Is Dead | PCWorld Business Center
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 5th September, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th September, 2012, 01:58 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

I won't flame you, but that article is a heap of FUD.

And not ONE of the commenters agree with it. A guy who can't find even one person to agree? Sad.

I mean, really. The guy is a Windows user who tried Linux for...30 whole days. And it was Ubuntu, to boot. What is this perception that Ubuntu is the only thing in the world of Linux?
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 6th September, 2012 at 02:03 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th September, 2012, 02:39 AM
AOA Staff

It's just some rambling nonsense.
Old 6th September, 2012, 03:07 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

He's glad we are happy...but we are all going to DIE! LOL
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 6th September, 2012, 09:21 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
And it was Ubuntu, to boot. What is this perception that Ubuntu is the only thing in the world of Linux?
He could have tried Gentoo, and I'm sure the article would have been a bit different, but probably not in a positive way... The writer notes that there's more to Linux than Ubuntu, and that "many would argue Ubuntu is a poor ambassador for Linux in the first place". It is an opinion piece, and the writer didn't do so well trying to make Linux behave like Windows.

On the other hand, there's comments about Linux "finds drivers it didn't come with for you", whereas Windows leaves you to find them. Anyone care to comment on the truth of this? Then you get the comments like "USB 3 is already natively supported in Linux while Windows 7 has to relay on third party drivers", without the mention that USB3 support in Linux is actually half broken and has been for some time (just ask Daniel~ about this one).

Last edited by Aedan; 6th September, 2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 6th September, 2012, 10:56 AM
Benchmarker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
He's glad we are happy...but we are all going to DIE! LOL
Chris had a barely visible smile on his face and as he grabs the shovel to free Daniel from his grave he's thinking, "what fun is to be alive and free from the grave while spending the rest of your life using a coffin to explore the world...or many coffins"!

Wait, what if we place a Windows on the coffin? Neah bad ideea!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 6th September, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 6th September, 2012, 01:02 PM
Benchmarker

How about: Wazobia Linux: A New Nigerian Linux Distro!

Old 6th September, 2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedan View Post
On the other hand, there's comments about Linux "finds drivers it didn't come with for you", whereas Windows leaves you to find them. Anyone care to comment on the truth of this?
I'm not exactly sure WHAT he's on about with that. He's probably referring to Synaptic or some such package manager in Ubuntu, that behaves a bit like a search engine for packages, but actually they are all in the repos already. I don't know of any app in Debian that will search outside of the repos. The closest thing that Gentoo has to something like that is layman, that will search the overlays for packages outside the portage repos.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]

Old 6th September, 2012, 05:03 PM

Yeah, but that's a package manager, not a driver finder.
Old 6th September, 2012, 05:11 PM

Yup. I don't know of any driver locator apps. That is why I'm thinking that he's confused. Maybe he's not aware that the program is looking in public repos.

Old 6th September, 2012, 07:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
He could have tried Gentoo, and I'm sure the article would have been a bit different, but probably not in a positive way... The writer notes that there's more to Linux than Ubuntu, and that "many would argue Ubuntu is a poor ambassador for Linux in the first place". It is an opinion piece, and the writer didn't do so well trying to make Linux behave like Windows.

On the other hand, there's comments about Linux "finds drivers it didn't come with for you", whereas Windows leaves you to find them. Anyone care to comment on the truth of this? Then you get the comments like "USB 3 is already natively supported in Linux while Windows 7 has to relay on third party drivers", without the mention that USB3 support in Linux is actually half broken and has been for some time (just ask Daniel~ about this one).
Tis true, originally if I enabled 3.0 support in BIOS, bad things began to happen... mouse, keyboard... However as I'm sure you will all be pleased to know this is no longer a problem, 2.0 and 3.0 now co-exist without comment. Bios update set things to right.

I have a new USB 3.0 FlashDrive on the way, see can how the 3.0 side works now.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 6th September, 2012, 07:14 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
How about: Wazobia Linux: A New Nigerian Linux Distro!
Slip me a URL an I'll try it on! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 6th September, 2012, 07:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, but that's a package manager, not a driver finder.
There is one...or I think it qualifies, you be the judge....

There's an App in Mint that 's called "other Drivers" But basically all it does at this time is go get and install Nvidia drivers. In Bodhi theres less interface, you just download a script that does the same thing..It goes after "current drivers" so you can use it as often as you think there might be new drivers. if this doesn't qualify, at lest it works well. ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 6th September, 2012, 07:38 PM
Benchmarker

Talking

Quote:
Slip me a URL an I'll try it on! ":O}
Better not trust me!

Last edited by Daniel ~; 6th September, 2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Why to mess with Chris of course!
Old 6th September, 2012, 08:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

But if I don't trust you, who will I trust!? ROTHFLMAO
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 8th September, 2012, 11:33 PM
Benchmarker

Red face

OH ma GAD no wonder people who are into doing things fast or enjoying their work or simply looking out for information will stay away from linucs!
Attached Thumbnails
Linux Desktop dead? [RIP]-screenshot-2012-09-08-22-31  

Old 9th September, 2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
There's an App in Mint that 's called "other Drivers" But basically all it does at this time is go get and install Nvidia drivers. In Bodhi theres less interface, you just download a script that does the same thing..It goes after "current drivers" so you can use it as often as you think there might be new drivers. if this doesn't qualify, at lest it works well. ":O}
That's exactly my point - it's not going out and getting anything other than nVidia drivers, and even then, you have to do that manually.
Old 9th September, 2012, 11:49 AM
Benchmarker

The only thing that linux installed after startup was a useless internal modem. No graphic support for an ancient intel chip or for an ancient integrated mic. DOH

Old 9th September, 2012, 11:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
That's exactly my point - it's not going out and getting anything other than nVidia drivers, and even then, you have to do that manually.
No it installs them far eaiser than I remember installing them in 2000 Pro!

But I get your point , If I need drivers they are there or I'm screwed. I'm having far better luck in this regaurd, than in the past by staying with USB where possible... pulg and play that Bill could only dream of.":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 9th September, 2012, 11:17 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
The only thing that linux installed after startup was a useless internal modem. No graphic support for an ancient intel chip or for an ancient integrated mic. DOH
Go into main Menu and Click on "Additional Drivers". (Sorry about calling it "Other Drivers", its "Addional Drivers."

Just click on it and watch until it asks you if you want Nvidia drivers installed, or perhaps gives you a choice of Drivers depending on which ubuntu or Debian your using.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur