AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH! > Linux

Linux Gaming Support on Our Favorite Free Platform

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th October, 2012, 01:29 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
Here's the thing. I bought this game from Steam. Therefore I have a reasonable expectation that it will launch....As I use Linux whatever happens after it launches is on me and my Destro.

But this SecuRom is not even letting the game try to launch, that's on Steam as they sold me this game.

If I have to do anything beyond contacting Steam to get this fixed, I will be very disappointed... That said, I think your right Boo, I think they will give me a url and say you guys figure this out.... We will see...sigh...
Actually I wouldn't blame Steam or Linux for the Securom problem because that is a DRM issue from Gearbox Software. I'm surprised it was there because Steam its-self is a DRM protection because you have to be logged in to play your games. The licenses and keys are associated with your Steam account. This was the first time I had any problems with DRM.... kinda lame
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th October, 2012, 01:33 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
The funny thing is that looking back...the clearest memory I have is fear. I've always been afraid of my software and hardware. I think there are at lest two reasons.
1. I'm poor and hardware and software was very expensive for me.
but the second condition I think was most responsible

2. I have never really known what I am doing.
There is always a vast body of knowledge that I know is there, but just can not reach.

I've always needed far more courage than I should to play with hardware!

For me, this is really hard stuff!!":O}
In this case I'm very impressed and you deserve some Praise!
Getting over the fear of breaking your computer is a BIG step.
So, Good Job Daniel!

Learning the fearless mindset of working on computer comes from knowing that almost anything can be fixed. You need to have the patience and the time. It also helps to have some stubborness which I think you definitely have, otherwise you would have given up on Linux a long time ago!

Since you use Acronis for imaging, that really helps too. You can alway restore a backup if you break it.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th October, 2012, 06:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Oh Boo you give me to much credit! Who said I was over it! LOL

I still have attacks when things start going south and I don't have a clue Why...But I just KNOW it's my fault! This is not a rational thing, This is me having been to hard on my monkey mind and now in some situations, he becomes frightened, monkeys can't easy be reasoned with.

So I endure his fear and try and show symphony and patience and after a time he calms down.And we start enjoy our system together again.":O}

The funny thing is...It's always Monkey who wants new things and new experiences, but it's also Monkey who so easily overwhelm and needs time to collect himself and calm down... so we can reason again together!

Acronis!! ERRRRR!!!

Boo What version do you have? I HAD 11 but it cannot reconize my USB 2T backup drive...So I bought 12 ERRRRRR!!!!!

It takes really it take 3-10 mins just to open a freaking archive, the delay on every click is worse than anything I've ever see, Drives me nuts to set up a restore !!

Takes as long to set up as to actually run the freaking thing. 30 mins at lest to do something I did in 5 mins in Acronis 11. I've tried changing BIOS setting. turning off and on the UEFI Bios in favor of Legacy BIOS handling of devices. Nothing has worked. it's bad enough to pay for 13...IF 13 is any better!!

I wish I knew what is causing this!!

Anyway Hi Boo! LOL
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 8th October, 2012, 02:01 PM
AOA Staff

Yeah, well, congrats on getting over the fear of getting-over-the-fear of breaking your computer.... got to start somewhere

Should we start calling you Monkey?

I stopped using Acronis because the old version we had at work did not support USB drives. I didn't want to buy the new version either because its ridiculously expensive!

I use Clonezilla instead. It is basically a cloning software in a very small version of linux. Boots like linux and then runs Clonezilla. Its not quite as fast backing up the hard-drive but the restores are GREAT!

Acronis is really good though, specially if you have the newer version that supports booting to USB flash drives.
Acronis has a nice Graphical User Interface and is very quick backup and restore.

Are you saying version 12 is very laggy in the Graphical User Interface?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 8th October, 2012, 02:09 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

+1 for Clonezilla. I use it exclusively, and it is flawless. I have run it hundreds of times and it has never failed. Because it runs from bootable media, it does not depend on the OS in any way. Its only limitation at this time is that it is not able as yet to see RAID arrays properly. You need Acronis if you want to do that.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 8th October, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 8th October, 2012, 02:12 PM
AOA Staff

Yeah, its pretty cool, I remember reading about it a few months back and was intimidated because I thought it was using the command line...
Now its a breeze!
Once you get used to the prompts its really simple
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 8th October, 2012, 11:03 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman View Post

Are you saying version 12 is very laggy in the Graphical User Interface?
A nightmare!! Worset I've EVER SEEN.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 8th October, 2012, 11:11 PM
AOA Staff

Interesting... you may want to call their customer support or go online and see if it has a problem with your motherboard, Memory or CPU.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 8th October, 2012, 11:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
+1 for Clonezilla. I use it exclusively, and it is flawless. I have run it hundreds of times and it has never failed. Because it runs from bootable media, it does not depend on the OS in any way. Its only limitation at this time is that it is not able as yet to see RAID arrays properly. You need Acronis if you want to do that.
Hook me up with a link Brother...I'm getting desperate! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 8th October, 2012, 11:29 PM
AOA Staff

I recommend practicing on a spare computer first.
It takes a few times going through the steps.
They do a good job describing each step but it can still be confusing because there are a LOT of options.
Source, Destination, Network, Local, mount, sda1, sdb1, on and on

Lots of Linux going on there...
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 9th October, 2012, 05:43 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Quote:
Hook me up with a link Brother...I'm getting desperate! ":O}
You're getting really lazy now.

Step 1: Google
Step 2: type "clonezilla" in the little box
Step 3: profit

Clonezilla - Downloads

It's quite easy to use. Basically, just accept all the defaults. It will run some sanity checks. The drives will all be identified by their location, size and manufacturer. Choose the target drive and directory for the backup to be saved. Then make a filename for the backup, or use the default filename. Choose the source drive to be imaged. Tell it to image the entire drive (I believe this is the easiest method, for you). A couple of confirmation keystrokes, and you are on your way. Newer versions will also check the integrity of the image, and make sure it is restorable. This is a fairly recent improvement - when I started with it several years ago it did not do these checks.

Restoring an image is pretty much the same thing in reverse. Tell Clonezilla where to look for the image. Choose the image file you want. Choose the target drive and confirm the action.

Remember this is a boot CD. It does not depend on the installed OS. Because of this it can be used on any computer, regardless of the OS. Even Windows
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 9th October, 2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 9th October, 2012, 10:51 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Daniel needs this linkie

Last edited by Aedan; 9th October, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 9th October, 2012, 02:33 PM
AOA Staff

thats funny
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 9th October, 2012, 02:35 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:

Clonezilla - Downloads

It's quite easy to use. Basically, just accept all the defaults. It will run some sanity checks. The drives will all be identified by their location, size and manufacturer. Choose the target drive and directory for the backup to be saved. Then make a filename for the backup, or use the default filename. Choose the source drive to be imaged. Tell it to image the entire drive (I believe this is the easiest method, for you). A couple of confirmation keystrokes, and you are on your way. Newer versions will also check the integrity of the image, and make sure it is restorable. This is a fairly recent improvement - when I started with it several years ago it did not do these checks.

Restoring an image is pretty much the same thing in reverse. Tell Clonezilla where to look for the image. Choose the image file you want. Choose the target drive and confirm the action.

Remember this is a boot CD. It does not depend on the installed OS. Because of this it can be used on any computer, regardless of the OS. Even Windows
The main thing I would be worried about is accidentally restoring an image when you were trying to backup one.
I always have existing images on my 2nd flash drive and I will want to make a new backup... if you don't read carefully you may backup the wrong partition or restore over the wrong partition.
I try to always use backup/restore disk instead of partition.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 9th October, 2012, 06:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:

Clonezilla - Downloads

Thank you. I don't know why I keep forgetting I can Google things, for some reason it just never occurs to me!

I won't be able to try this until the end of the week. Had to back 64 bt to load 32 bit to this drive, yet another new drive arrives around Thursday. So I can run 32 and 64 bit side by side. Should tell us "something" ":O} But I burned my copy already! Good thing Patti needs new drives... How do you think I should tell her she needed a new drive? ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 9th October, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 9th October, 2012, 07:01 PM
AOA Staff

Tell her that your 1000 Gigabytes is too small for booting Winblows XP, Winblows Vista, Winblows 7, Winblows 8, Mint 13, Fedara 16, Ubuntu 12, OpenSuse, Archlinux and all the games you play in each OS
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 9th October, 2012, 07:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

It's in the can! ":O}
Attached Thumbnails
I need help installing Nvidia Drivers...oh the shame of it!-screenshot-2012-10-09-11-26  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Tags
linux drivers , mint 13 video drivers , nvidia drivers