AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH! > Linux

Linux Gaming Support on Our Favorite Free Platform

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th October, 2012, 04:00 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

PerformanceTest

Ok, so perhaps this isn't the best way to do it, but I'm sure I'll get some suggestions on how to make this better. Originally I was going to try something like EQ2, but the POL EQ2 installer is pretty broken, and the servers were down for maintenance. Chrisbard suggested PerformanceTest, so I thought I might as well give it a quick go.

I installed it using POL under 64bit Ubuntu, and set the OS to Windows 7. That said, I didn't get any DirectX10 benchmark. I also installed it under Win7 64bit. Both installs were using the 32bit PerformanceTest client and were on the same hardware (Dual boot).

The outcome is below.
Click image for larger version

Name:	7VsPOL.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	26338
Old 10th October, 2012, 05:39 PM

I did try with EQ2. Threw a character in a location in Zek, and hit 17 to 19 FPS under Linux (Wine 1.5.15) and 29-30 FPS under Windows.
Old 10th October, 2012, 11:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

hmmm. I really don't know what to say, I'm not surprised that POL takes a hit...

But here's the thing...with all that is WRONG currently with my Cry 2 install, performance isn't an issue, frame rates don't even enter into it, it runs fine as far as performance or frame rates, same same with all my Steam games, Modern warfare with everything max, never stumbles, none of my half life games show any lag or stutter, all set to max quality and detail.

So either Windoze has far far more performance than it knows what to do with or something that's a part of this story hasn't yet been told....?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th October, 2012, 09:15 AM

EQ2 has never been the best in terms of getting performance. The graphics render is single threaded, which means it can be CPU bound (although my CPU isn't low end).

However, my machine has an nVidia 310 GPU in it, so that is fairly much at the low end. So, this might be indicative that your graphics card has enough performance to mask any performance loss that Wine introduces. It may also be that this isn't the whole story, but I wonder if we might need more real world benchmarks and more midrange graphics cards?
Old 11th October, 2012, 07:08 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yes of course, Hardware will be a bit of a issue in trying to level the playing field for for a comparison.

I can maybe help you with midrange....Patti now has my old Q6600 in a Asus P5Q MD, I have a 7900 and a 8800 GTS that can be used it that system...just let me know if they can be of use to you.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!