AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th October, 2012, 11:18 PM
AOA Staff

Linus Torvalds Answers slashdot readers questions

This is great!
Its interesting to read what Linus thinks about Kernels, software, hardware, copyrights and other interesting questions.

Linus Torvalds Answers Your Questions
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th October, 2012, 02:44 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

This man and I think a lot alike, I believe. Favorite quotes from that article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux
"The occasional big shift and really new thing might get all the attention, but it seldom really is what matters."
In other words, much more often than not what matters is that you do whatever you do really well, not that you do it with the shiniest new gadgets.

Quote:
"Any time you have 'one overriding idea', and push your idea as a superior ideology, you're going to be wrong. The fact is, reality is complicated, and not amenable to the 'one large idea' model of problem solving. The only way that problems get solved in real life is with a lot of hard work on getting the details right. Not by some over-arching ideology that somehow magically makes things work."
Problems get solved by people who understand what's wrong, and have a good 'tool box', not by 'one-trick ponies'. Or as my grandpa used to say "When you're a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"

Quote:
"There's lots of pride in doing the small details right."
'Nuff said.

Last edited by Gizmo; 19th October, 2012 at 02:45 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th October, 2012, 04:00 PM
AOA Staff

Agreed!

I love how he quotes or emphasizes something with a *astrix*
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 19th October, 2012, 07:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
"Don't work for a commercial Linux company even if it seems like such a natural thing to do - keep working in a neutral place so that people can continue to work with me")
This guy...So few really understand this:

"Sacrifice alone has the power to help this world."
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 19th October, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 25th October, 2012, 09:02 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
This guy...So few really understand this:

"Sacrifice alone has the power to help this world."
Mayans understood this very well!

Their sacrifice of wiping themselves out of this world will be always remembered, plus the way they were using sacrifice!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 25th October, 2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 25th October, 2012, 07:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

They misunderstood sacrifice. Sacrifice can NEVER be attained by taking something from another by force.

Sacrifice is what we give freely of our selfs. Because we want to be of use to this world or to give thanks for this world. Sacrifice that relies on force is but another form of slaughterer.

All sacrifice that relies on blood is abomination ... born of ignorance and fear.

J.C. put an end it, for us in the West. We sacrifice in the spirit not the flesh. We change our behaviors, we bring ourselves into conformity with the Divine will. What we sacrifice is that which was given to us, our spirits...In sacrifice we return to the Divine what is the Divine's.

If all goes well the Divine consecrates the offering and returns it to us purified and ready to battle beside the forces of heaven to bring about the world as it was created...To bring this world to it's perfection...and then vanish into our achievement.

What we sacrifice must always come from within us, must always be of the best of us...or it's just a cheap bribe and no transaction with the Divine occurs.

If you wish to understand these things Chris...offer sacrifice...In this life we get what we pay for, until we sacrifice, then we just might get what we need.

For if sacrifice alone has the power to help this world, then it alone has the power to help us.

All the rest is but a business deal and a million deals have been made and never helped this world. They just push the goods around and those who have get more...Only when those who have, share, sacrifice, do those who do not have find at last their portion.

Only when they find their portion, can the world move towards it's perfection. For what brings things to completion is return. To return to our original purpose. To become ourselves.

We do this though sacrifice. In Sacrificing we are allowed to return to who we are. In spite of all our transgressions, when the sacrifice is accepted we are allowed to Return.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 25th October, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 26th October, 2012, 03:14 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
J.C. put an end it, for us in the West. We sacrifice in the spirit not the flesh. We change our behaviors, we bring ourselves into conformity with the Divine will. What we sacrifice is that which was given to us, our spirits...In sacrifice we return to the Divine what is the Divine's.
Reminds me of another thread... We don't do anything! If we try to bring something to the table, we're only bringing works. If we bring works, we can't walk under grace, therefore we've just carefully placed ourselves back under the law and blood sacrificial system.
Old 26th October, 2012, 06:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

This view will hold water. This view may be correct, (Aedan's view)I cannot see that far with clarity.

But it seems to me that we have a part in our own salvation or none would be lost. The part I best understand is sacrifice.

If the cup is full we can not revive. If we do not sacrifice in the spirit, then we will not be received, for we can not receive grace.

We must ask to receive that which is more than we are or in receiving it we would be destroyed, free will would be destroyed.

Sacrifice is our means. What we were given by our predecessors

Who tell us they got it straight from God. I don't know about that. But I know a little of sacrifice...

We can not purify our selfs, so we adopt a ritual inviting God to be present. The Divine presence cleanses.

At the beginning we offer a cleansing ritual. Here we recognize all that we have done wrong and ask that the divine intercede on our behave and wash away the grime.

The next thing which must occur is the offering.

The moment between these two, between the cleansing and the offering is considered to be the most sacred of all. For in that moment we stand in the presence. It is a moment fought with fear and trembling for the sacrifice has yet to be accepted. We MUST tremble for the offering is ourselves and should it be declined....

Our sincerity comes now under divine judgment.

If the sacrifice is accepted, new life enters us and we are allowed to return to who we are. We are allowed to continue to become who we are. Our misdirection, our mistakes, even our evil deeds washed from our paths, we can walk once more without hindrance and return to the houses of our fathers.

If man has no role in his own salvation, whose salvation can it be?

If man has no role, then salvation is arbitrary and honestly, without meaning.

Hitler is as honorable as Peter or Paul.

Man must have a role, even if he lacks all power to effect that role.

The sacrificial ritual is a recognition that we can not do this of our-selfs.

The cleansing is a recondition of our unworthiness to receive, of our inability to become worthy.

Sacrifice, this is us asking that we be forgiven and made whole. And be allowed to return to who we are.

Here I have put forth sacrifice in terms of ritual. But Ritual is only the Public or outward manifestation.

Sacrifice is in it's essence an internal motion, a movement from within that reaches outward.

As long as man has choice, then he must choose. Upon that choice hangs his salvation. Without that choice I find it hard to conceive of what could be meant by sacrifice or salvation. It is though our choices we express our sincerity or lack there of.

In the end it is our sincerity that makes God happy, sincerity is the throne upon which God sits in judgment of this world.

Without choice sincerity has no meaning.

Let's do the impossible, let's put ourselves upon Gods throne of sincerity.

What have we done? We created a world of mass and matter and we created spirit to inform matter with life. What do we want of a creation we gave the whole of our hearts to?

What is is the Divine desires of us? I believe it is simple. He wants from us what he gave to us...his very best,...Love. That we come to him in sincerity. That we come to him for love. Not power, nor wealth, not fame nor praise, just that when we come to him, it is truly HIM we are seeking.

Humility and self abnegation are a part of any spiritual journey. Yet I find a darkness that has infused itself with "Some" Christian thought.

The basic Idea that man is ****. That everything we do say think or feel is unworthy and or a sin.

My God didn't make any mistakes. My God created excellence that strives and in it's striving is perfection.. My God created sincerity. One need not beat one self half to death to please God.

One needs only approach him in sincerity and ask for love...trust me, he will be pleased...it's his nature to be pleased by sincerity. I know as I was made in his image and nothing on this earth moves me like the supremely sincere.

Christ himself was in awe of the Widows "might/mite", perhaps he foresaw the offering to come, recognized in her a kindred spirit, another that would give ALL without even being asked.

I agree we can not earn salvation. But I am far less sure we need to. Perhaps all we need do is strive to be sincere in all we do.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 26th October, 2012 at 08:02 PM.

Tags
linus torvalds , linux , questions , slashdot