AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th November, 2012, 12:42 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

nVidia 304.64 drivers

Update for nVidia drivers has arrived.

Changelist is:
  • Fixed a regression in backlight control functionality on some notebook configurations.
  • Fixed a performance issue with recent Linux kernels when allocating and freeing system memory.
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented the display device / X screen selection menu from being displayed in nvidia-settings.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented X driver gamma manipulation from working after a VT-switch on some configurations.
  • Added the option --output-file to nvidia-bug-report.sh to allow specifying a custom filename for the log file.
  • Fixed a hang when using OpenGL programs with some SLI Mosaic configurations on pre-Fermi GPUs.
  • Added sections to the Supported NVIDIA GPU Products list for NVS, Tesla, and VGX products.
  • Added support for the following GPUs:
    • VGX K1
    • VGX K2
    • Tesla K20c
    • Tesla K20m

32bit driver: NVIDIA DRIVERS 304.64 Certified (ia32)
64bit driver: NVIDIA DRIVERS 304.64 Certified (amd64)
Old 7th November, 2012, 08:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I have the file but I need to shut down X server to install it, can anyone tell me how?

BTW I tried using :

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings and was updated to:
Attached Thumbnails
nVidia 304.64 drivers-screenshot-2012-11-07-11-13  
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 7th November, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th November, 2012, 12:45 AM
AOA Staff

try shortcut keys: (Right alt) + (Print Screen) + K
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th November, 2012, 12:48 AM
AOA Staff

or this... Ctrl+Alt+F1 to access the shell command prompt
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm stop
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 8th November, 2012, 02:31 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Dan, instead of asking for problems, why not wait a bit until it's in your repos, then use your package manager? I'd bet money that nothing in the changelog affects your machine.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 8th November, 2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old 8th November, 2012, 08:30 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
I have the file but I need to shut down X server to install it, can anyone tell me how?

BTW I tried using :

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings and was updated to:
Don't.

We went through this with you on Fedora. Manually installing the nVidia drivers is NOT for you! Wait until they become available via apt-get (I would imagine it will be fairly soon).
Old 8th November, 2012, 03:13 PM

The 304.64 package arrived in Gentoo today, and in Sid as well. I suspect your distro won't be far behind, since Debian has it already.

Remember that even if you are able to complete the manual installation of any given package, your package manager isn't aware that it is installed, because you did not allow the PM to do the work. This can cause all kinds of unforeseen dependency problems down the line. For you, and most other users, this means using the package manager to install everything, if you want a stable system.

Unless you are really in touch with what you are doing, manual installs can be a big problem.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]

Last edited by ThunderRd; 8th November, 2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 8th November, 2012, 03:45 PM

To be honest, I ended up uninstalling the distro graphics driver (via package manager), and then threw in the nvidia package. At least that stops the distro from trying to "upgrade" the driver.

I ended up finding that I tended to battle with package managers more than I'd like. It seems that either you do it all by hand (blergh), or you do it all with a package manager. Trying to do some things via hand (because the package manager couldn't) and some via package manager can leave you with much grief. It's one thing that annoys me - I don't get a choice in the package manager!
Old 8th November, 2012, 05:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

That's one thing that I really like about Gentoo's Portage setup: most of the time, the reason you need to install a custom package is not so much because it isn't available, as because it isn't available with the options you need (Postfix with Mysql, anyone? PHP with Suhosin?). In those instances where you DO need to manually install a package, Portage seems to do a better job of getting out of your way than e.g. Yum.

Regardless, though, when you start manually installing things, you're frequently taking on a lot more than you probably expected.

And yeah, on Fedora I run the manual nVidia drivers. Once you understand what's going on, it's usually pretty straight-forward.

Last edited by Gizmo; 8th November, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 8th November, 2012, 05:13 PM
AOA Staff

I usually do the manual install with Fedora too.
Since I'm using Mint, I'll wait for the update.
I'll keep checking for the update.
I can't wait to see if it affects my games in a positive way
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 8th November, 2012, 07:39 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Where are my fearless companions of the past!!

So nobody wants to play!?

The odd thing is that Mint doesn't do Nvidia, it uses "Additional Drivers" to fetch and install Nivida.

When I first used the Terminal commands Aedan Gave me.( see my first post)

It wiped "Additional Drivers" clean...didn't crash it, just removed the Driver choices.

But then a few days later, it was back and offering the driver I had gotten via terminal.

Right now I don't know what Additional drivers is doing, it seems to offer risker drivers than it has in the past.

Kidding aside, I do hear what you guys are saying about stability and compatibility with future updates...

What I'm not getting is how which drivers I use will affect future updates, when Mint, doesn't do Nvidia?

What am I missing?
Attached Thumbnails
nVidia 304.64 drivers-screenshot-2012-11-08-10-35  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 10th November, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 8th November, 2012, 07:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Don't.

We went through this with you on Fedora. Manually installing the nVidia drivers is NOT for you! Wait until they become available via apt-get (I would imagine it will be fairly soon).
In Mint 13 those three lines of code do the whole enchilada!

I know you guys all have cause to fear me! ":O}

Where will I go when I get into trouble?

And the truth is, you've all been to generous with your time and knowledge.

But if I don't get into trouble, what do we talk about?

I'm serious.

Maybe you guys need a little trouble, I'm less serious. ":O}

Now...the reason.. You all know why I'm doing this!!

CRYSIS 2 must be bent to my will!!! LOL

If I promise not to update my drivers in a way that makes everyone here cringe...

Will you guys pretend to have problems I can solve?

Someone has to keep the ball in play! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 8th November, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 9th November, 2012, 01:38 AM

Dude, the update is from 304.60 to 304.64. It's not 304.x to 314.x or something like that.

If you think that would be a significant reason to go through the process, then so be it, but I would almost guarantee there will be no difference - unless you are affected by one of the 3 or 4 specific bugs in the changelog. It's not any kind of big step, and the driver changelog shows that. Most of the time these small updates are to add support for new cards, not increase performance of cards already supported.

Last edited by ThunderRd; 9th November, 2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old 9th November, 2012, 10:48 AM

To be honest, the 310 beta is where the performance is currently, not the 304 drivers. Comparing the 304.43 to the 310.14 beta, nVidia have boosted performance between 5% and 23%, depending on the benchmark. []NVIDIA's R310 Linux Driver Improvements
Old 9th November, 2012, 03:53 PM
AOA Staff

yeah, wait for 310
If that is the driver Valve and Nvidia are working on, then it will be worth the wait
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 9th November, 2012, 08:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
Dude, the update is from 304.60 to 304.64. It's not 304.x to 314.x or something like that.

If you think that would be a significant reason to go through the process, then so be it, but I would almost guarantee there will be no difference - unless you are affected by one of the 3 or 4 specific bugs in the changelog. It's not any kind of big step, and the driver changelog shows that. Most of the time these small updates are to add support for new cards, not increase performance of cards already supported.
Dude! Like I totally trust you! I'm not a fool, just accident prone! ":O}

You have removed my motivation. I know how desperate this all must look! LOL

Have you see Crysis 2? They have this really cool nano suit and....":O}

Thank you TR for taking the time to straighten me out. Saves me untold pain in the early hours of my morning.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 9th November, 2012, 08:39 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedan View Post
To be honest, the 310 beta is where the performance is currently, not the 304 drivers. Comparing the 304.43 to the 310.14 beta, nVidia have boosted performance between 5% and 23%, depending on the benchmark. []NVIDIA's R310 Linux Driver Improvements
Hmmm...Interesting... The "Additional Drivers" app offers a 310 drives as beta...

Can you say Which 310 drivers is being offered from the info they provide?

(see pic.)
I've goggled it and read in the Ubuntu forums, but would like your views?
Attached Thumbnails
nVidia 304.64 drivers-screenshot-2012-11-09-11-37  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 10th November, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10th November, 2012, 07:11 AM

I often try the beta drivers and they normally don't give me any real trouble. If you can do it through your driver-finder application and it allows for removal, then go for it.

The worst thing that can probably happen is that there isn't any real performance improvement, but that seems unlikely in this case.

Old 10th November, 2012, 06:59 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Now this IS a first and a bit odd at that. I gave the 310's a try with the following result!

(Well at lest no harm was done! ":O}
Attached Thumbnails
nVidia 304.64 drivers-screenshot-2012-11-10-09-58  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 10th November, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10th November, 2012, 09:18 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

My last post was from my 64 bit drive, 310, no go at this time. Then I booted to my 32 bit Mint 13 drive and Bingo! No ill effect so far...will start up some games and see what comes of this! ":O}

Thank you everyone, I feel I'm much better informed in my folly than if I was plunking away at this by my self. In short, I'd much rather make your mistakes than mine!

(yours generally lead to something good...mine tend most often to go nowhere...sigh...":O}
Attached Thumbnails
nVidia 304.64 drivers-screenshot-2012-11-10-12-08  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 10th November, 2012 at 09:20 PM.